Game Developer ??

Hello everyone , so im working on game with couple of other guys , we have every thing we need except a 3d human creator software .

i thought about using makehuman its free and open source but the TOF says that you can't use it in closed source stuff ,

and i only have 200$ so i can't buy daz3d indie developer license .

so is Carrara a standalone software or it's a plugin for daz3d ?? 

if i bought Carrara can i use it for my game project ?? 

whats the difference betwen Daz3d and Carrara ??

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited July 2015
    mmdxx061 said:

Hello everyone , so im working on game with couple of other guys , we have every thing we need except a 3d human creator software .

i thought about using makehuman its free and open source but the TOF says that you can't use it in closed source stuff ,

and i only have 200$ so i can't buy daz3d indie developer license .

so is Carrara a standalone software or it's a plugin for daz3d ?? 

if i bought Carrara can i use it for my game project ?? 

whats the difference betwen Daz3d and Carrara ??

its standalone - Ds not needed 

yes you could use it for your game

you still can't use any of the DS models with out daz3d indie developer license

what can Carrara do - back in a sec.

read this thread -

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15970/carrara-information-manual#latest

Post edited by bigh on
  • mmdxx061mmdxx061 Posts: 2

so ican't use daz3d models from the store but ican use models i create in Carrara

+ what is better in quality Daz3d or Carrara

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    mmdxx061 said:

so ican't use daz3d models from the store but ican use models i create in Carrara

+ what is better in quality Daz3d or Carrara

you can't make models in DS

Carrara models would depend on how good you are at making them .

I think you would be off using some other program to make your models -

there are a lot of free one you could try .

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

Well, if you're thinking about modeling, then Carrara is better than Studio, because Studio doesn't have modeling capabilities. Carrara also has UV mappinig, rigging and weight painting for joint influences.

The Pro version also supports animated fbx export if I recall correctly, although Wendy knows more about that than I do.

Studio also has a rigging system, but as I said, you don't have modeling capabilities.

As to which is better, that's subjective. A Studio user will say that Studio is better for several reasons, and I will say Carrara is better for several different reasons, and then add additional reasons because Carrara is more akin to a 3D suite, and Studio is more akin to a virtual photo studio, much in the same vein as Poser. It's fairly limited in what types of scene it can use.

I consider myself firmly in the novice to novice-intermediary skill level when it comes to vertex modeling. Even so, I was able to model and rig this Martian war machine in Carrara:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/78191/view/5/3D-Model/Martian-War-machine

The promo images show some screen shots of the underlying mesh.

Composited war of the worlds copy.jpg
    1538 x 2000 - 2M
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2015

If you are just looking for a model of a humanoid, which you plan to use in another program, and if you are just trying to identify a modeler to make that humanoid, then I agree with bigh that there are free modelers out there.  For example, you could try sculptris, which is a free dedicated modeler.

However, if you are looking for more than that, then as Evilproducer says, Carrara does offer an integrated package to model, uvmap, texture, rig, weightpaint, morph, add hair, pose, animate, and render a character.  However, its modeler is not the best modeler.  Its uvmapper is not the best uvmapper.  Etc.

If you have experience modeling, then you can pick up Carrara's modeler quickly (although again, other programs have some more tools).  If you don't have experience modeling, then attempting to model a professional calibur animated figure may be  a challenge no matter what software you choose.  Then again, that is how we learn sometimes.

I think right now that if you join the platinum club that Carrara 8.5 Pro is about $65, but the way the discounts work, I can never tell if what I am seeing applies to other people.   

There is a thread on the specific topic of modeling in Carrara.  You might want to start at the beginning and skim through.  It is about 7 or 8 pages long, but it can give you an idea of what some of the experienced modelers can do, and what someone like me (much less experience) can do.  On the first page, Gareth Davies shows the progression of modeling a human face.  Some other speciifc tips for modeling the human face, including youtube videos, are toward the end. The tips and videos will likely apply even if you use another modeler so check them out.  The last page of the thread has an example of a full human character that I modeled in Carrara.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28716/polygon-modeling-post-your-creations-a-new-beginning/p1

Post edited by Diomede on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Not sure if you guys are aware of this development   https://www.morph3d.com/

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2015

Thanks, might be a great time to be a content creator if compatible!   The website for Morph3D didn't say if a game developer would have to pay a higher license fee, like some of the Daz content.  For example, here is Jack Tomalin's.   http://www.daz3d.com/jack-tomalin-indie-game-developer-license     Am I missing it?

Post edited by Diomede on