Luxus Core vs Octane?

Hi, 

I've been out of touch with Carrara, but like its animation tools. 

What are the pros & cons of Luxus Core for Carrara vs OctaneRender for Carrara? 

I'm already using OctaneRender for Blender, but would like to use GPU rendering

in Carrara, too.

At $29, LuxusCore seems like a great buy, and may be all I need. 

I downloaded the OR4C demo, but am having activation problems (doesn't recognize my OctaneLive info....have at support ticket)

Will be using a GTX580 (Zotac) GPU and AMD FX8350 CPU.  

smiley

Comments

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716

The final version of LuxusCore isn't available yet, but you can download the beta for free and give it a go (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/50130/luxuscore-carrara/p1). The version available for sale here is Luxus for Carrara which uses LuxRender, not LuxCore (i.e. no realtime intergration of Lux into Carrara). Since you already own Octane, I would highly recommend getting the Carrara plugin. it's extremely stable and faster than LuxusCore (for me at least - others may get similar render times). For someone wanting toget started with GPU based unbiased/PBR rendering in Carrara, LuxusCore will be a great option (actually, the beta is a great option right now). But Octane seems to be faster, has Carrara dynamic hair integration, and out of core textures, all things that currently aren't available in LuxusCore (demo).

Hope this helps.

• 3dcal3dcal Posts: 178

Ok, thanks. I'll try LuxusCore & OR4C (if I can get it activated). 

Do you know what LuxusCore will cost? It says the beta is good till the end of the month, but 

it was posted in December....hope it's still good. 

I've been working on Forbidden Planet.....animating the saucer, creating a Krell in ZBrush and importing to Carrara. 

Would love to animate even faster with CUDA, as well as adding realism. Win-win. laugh 

The most recent build of the LuxCore beta which will time out the last day of Sept. can be found here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/850829/#Comment_850829​

For the OR4C Demo - it's been a couple of years since I tried a ddemo version, but as I recall, I had to use and activation specific to it (It may have been in my account), but I'm not really sure.

• 3dcal3dcal Posts: 178
    edited July 2015

Have a "few" more questions....just trying to understand all the options. 

I'm not interested in hair, ecosystems.....mostly want SSS, displacement, clouds, terrains, caustics, realistic lighting, animation.

1. Does LuxusCore work with AMD CPUs or just CUDA cards?

2. Do you have render times for the same scene using LuxusCore vs OR4C with the same amount of samples?

3. Will LuxusCore be about the same price as OR4C? (just the plugin is $99 at OTOY) 

4. Luxus for Carrara ($29) may not be faster than LuxusCore, but is it faster than Carrara Renderer? 

Thanks! smiley

Post edited by 3dcal on

LuxCore uses OpenCL - So you should be able to use either your Nvidia card or your ATI card (in theory you should actually be able to use both).

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I  currently use 2 ATI R7 250 cards with lux core for rendering when I use lux core.