Issue with rendering of light (after loading an old project)

Hello everyone,

I’ve been playing with Daz studio for a bit less than one year and I am facing an issue with the lights.

A few months ago, I bought the “Z 24 Hour Bar” environment and did a few renders.

The result was the same as on the product page (i.e. with lights fully on, see the picture 1).

I saved the scene and started to work on other scenes (I played with multiple settings).

Now I tried to reopen the bar scene that was saved a few months ago, but the lights "are not working anymore” (i.e. almost off, see picture 2).

I remember that between the first rendering a few months ago and now, I work on scenes using caustic, so I tried to turn it on. It improves a bit the results, but it is still not correct (see the 3rd picture), so it’s not the reason why the render has changed.

I also tried to install Daz studio onto another computer and recreate the scene from scratch by loading the scene from the smart content but I still get the same issue …

Do you have any idea of the problem?

.As far as I remember, the software version hasn’t changed between the two renders (I am using Daz 4.20)

Thank you for you time.

Comments

• A few month back DazStudio was a DS4.16,  are you sure NO change in software?  4.20 is a fairly recent update.

• The first render was made in April 2022, I also have renders from June 2022 with the light functionning.

According to this thread, it seems that DS4.20 was released in February 2022.

But it is not impossible that it was still DS4.16, I usually take a bit of time before uploading a software.

Is there any place where I could find DS4.16 to test?

• OK, so I manage to find a DS4.16 to install, and it works!

Thanks for the clue FirstBastion.

• ArtRouladeArtRoulade Posts: 20

Maybe that is interesting for someone. To fix the light issue for newer DS versions change the values for cutout opacity from 0.0001 to 1 under surfaces. That worked for me.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,114

ArtRoulade said:

Maybe that is interesting for someone. To fix the light issue for newer DS versions change the values for cutout opacity from 0.0001 to 1 under surfaces. That worked for me.

Older versions of Iray did not account for the opacity of emissive surfaces, which was really a bug. That was fixed. See Creating a "Ghost Light" - Daz Studio 4.21.1.26+ - Daz 3D Forums