Carrara compatibility - Poser and Studio drifting apart

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
edited July 2015 in Carrara Discussion

The Poser community has the Scarlet figure by Sixus 1.   I don't see any compatible content here in the Daz store, which is not surprising because Les Garner (Sixus 1) consciously chose to make Scarlet for Poser's version 9+ weight system which is not supported natively by Daz.  Now Daz's Genesis 3 is not currently supported in Poser natively (although there is a work around and I expect soon a formal bridge).  One of the great features of Carrara had been compatibility with both Studio and Poser content.  As those platforms drift apart, ugh.  It is all the more reason to remind Daz Studio content producers that if they make Poser compatible shader files, (etc.)  it is not just for Poser users, but also Carrara.

Here is an excerpt from an interview with Les Garner on his choices on Scarlet compatibility.  The full interview is available at Rendo.

"In the years that Scarlet has been in development, along with her male counterpart who you will all be meeting very soon, a lot has changed inside Poser as both a program and a community. With changes come choices, and so I'd like to talk for a moment  about one in particular I have had to make.

Once upon a time, there was only Poser and a lot of things for a content creator like myself were very simple. Over time, that has obviously changed and with that change comes certain decisions and complexities of both art and business. As Scarlet has matured in her development cycle, so has Poser in some incredible ways. And while it may not be the only platform for this type of content any longer, it became clear to me that as we, vendors, have been pulled in other directions, so, too have many of the artists out there using what we make. Some have went elsewhere, many have stayed with Poser, and many embrace both. As a business person, one tries to think strategically, but as an artist, you are in the business of following your heart. My career was built in Poser, thanks to the support of Poser users. That's not to slight anyone who feels drawn elsewhere, but just to say that Poser and it's dedicated users have been such a blessing to me that when I examined where my heart was pointed, it was directly at these people and this platform. Put another way, it seemed to me that while there may be another lady walking by with some allure, there's something very special to be said for recognizing the beauty of the one you've chosen to be with. Poser and her users are what built my career, and now, with other options available, I made the decision that my human figures would be made specifically to show Poser and her users some much needed love. I hope that comes through in both “Scarlet” and the ongoing stream of content we have lined up for her."

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

if our dollar ever improves in Australia I may buy Scarlet just so I can try Fenric's script to see if she can work in Carrara but at the moment that is unlikely.

However I must say my spending at Rendo, Runtime DNA, Xurge and Philosophers Egg to name a few has increased hugely this last year as more DAZ stuff gets difficult to use in Carrara.

DAZ for whatever reason is cutting themselves off from a portion of the marketplace inc Carrara users not just with figures but props in only duf form, one would think those at least would be in obj form with mtl files for textures if wanting to reach Max, Maya, C4D users etc too,

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716

Unfortunately, with the DS/Poser "split", moving forward, if DAZ 3D doesn't keep Carrara viable/usable with their new content, we will be the ones left behind. Hopefully DAZ 3D will see fit to keep moving Carrara forward as well, because neither DS nor Poser currently provide the capabilities and funtionality that make Carrara such a great tool. Unfortunately there isn't a good replacement that handles DAZ3D or Poser content as well as Carrara (except for possibly C4D with additional plugins - but to get everything you have in Carrara you need the full Studio version). 

• BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591

I was actually going to start a thread regarding whether or not to purchase Poser Pro 2012 (or even an earlier version). I really only want Poser to create FBX animations in so that I can use them in Carrara. But I wanted to first verify that people have, in fact, been successful in doing that. 

Poser has an incredibly simple interface to get a lot of different kinds of run and walk cycles, which I need for some crowd scene stuff. So just trying to see if it's worth it or if I need to go the (ugh) iClone to 3DXChange route, which is far more expensive. 

you mean pz2/bvh animations, only PP14 does FBX AFAIK and as I do not own that do not know how well they import to Carrara

certainly Poser scenes do if figures are legacy or fixed and the pz3/bvh animations work, I did those back with C5pro and P7

you mean pz2/bvh animations, only PP14 does FBX AFAIK and as I do not own that do not know how well they import to Carrara

certainly Poser scenes do if figures are legacy or fixed and the pz3/bvh animations work, I did those back with C5pro and P7

Hiya --

Okay, so only 2014 does FBX? Do earlier versions export a file type that can be imported into Carrara? 

Basically, I want to create an animation in Poser, save the data as a BVH/FBX/PZ2, and then import into Carrara to use on a M4/V4 (or, perhaps, a Genesis or Genesis 2 figure). Is that possible?  That's really the only reason I would purchase Poser, is if that pipeline worked. I've searched online, and primarily what I've found is folks exporting OUT stuff, but not a lot of information about IMPORTING stuff. But I've always had no issues with BVH, PZ2 or FBX in Carrara. But those were always desinged with M4/V4 in mind. Not sure if a walk cycle is formulated for some Poser figure if it would be able to be applied to an M4/V4 figure. 

Thanks so much for any help!

Hup! Okay...so I was searching for something different and found this. I've no idea how I didn't find it previously. This looks to cover what I'm looking for. 

So I guess all I'd need to know now is -- which version of Poser should I purchase? Does the animation interface improve at all between versions? 

Thanks!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited July 2015

Since always, I import my animations made in Poser as PZ2 and that work great !

If you want, you can import all the Poser scene as PZ3 (character included).

The clothes simulations are imported in Carrara with the free python script "Dyn to Morph".

Post edited by DUDU on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

...  my spending at Rendo, Runtime DNA, Xurge and Philosophers Egg to name a few has increased hugely this last year as more DAZ stuff gets difficult to use in Carrara.

Same here.  Plus, of course, my 1600+ DAZ items purchased over the years work fine in Carrara, no "replacements" needed.

DUDU said:

Since always, I import my animations made in Poser as PZ2 and that work great !

If you want, you can import all the Poser scene as PZ3 (character included).

The clothes simulations are imported in Carrara with the free python script "Dyn to Morph".

Awesome. And what would be the comperable figure to animate if you want to animate M4/V4 or Genesis or Genesis 2?

Like, Poser doesn't import M4 or Gen 2, right? Like, you have to use a native Poser figure that is comperable when doing your original animation? 

Thanks 

To said the true, if I make a walkdesigner in Poser with the basic model and import the pz2 for any character in carrara, that work...

But you can import in walkdesigner M3, M4 as model, ...sorry I don't know for Genesis.

Don't be afraid to buy Poser, it's the best plugin for Carrara...until now.

I must add that the figures wich are native content in PP2014 (until G2) works great in Carrara.

I forgot to said that there is any problem to load M4-V4 in Poser.

DUDU said:

To said the true, if I make a walkdesigner in Poser with the basic model and import the pz2 for any character in carrara, that work...

But you can import in walkdesigner M3, M4 as model, ...sorry I don't know for Genesis.

Don't be afraid to buy Poser, it's the best plugin for Carrara...until now.

I must add that the figures wich are native content in PP2014 (until G2) works great in Carrara.

Sounds good! Thanks for all the help! I've always wanted to grab Poser, but I feel like the cost has finally gotten to the point where I can pick up, like, Pro 2010 for really cheap, ya know? So I'm going to go ahead and do it. :) 

FBX is a format I would not want to use to go from Poser to Carrara anyway as it loses all the ability to alter anything via the runtime like poses, clothes and textures as no longer DAZ/Poser native format.

I use pz3 scenes minus cameras and lights in import mostly.