Hekate - Dark Mother WIP

AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165
edited August 2012 in Art Studio

I'm here because I am loving this picture, but I get this feeling that it is not "complete." I was doing this originally to toy with lighting and shadows, and Hekate of shadows seemed right. I also love my god and goddess renders, its so much fun to put them in 3D how I see them in my head.

I'll take any honest opinions, especially towards atmospherics. (I know how atmospherics work in Poser, with fog, volume, etc. But in DAZ Studio, this is, quite honestly, a scary proposition. Like the Shader Builder. *wimp* I'll also take any hints on how to create my own mats, while at it, because I am bothered by how unrealistic some of these look...)

Also using Uber Area Light to light the scene from the surface of the crystal, along with a linear light, spotlight down and two point lights, out of camera's sight on the left and right.

hkt1g.png
674 x 706 - 490K
Post edited by AeonicB on

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

So I take it you're still working on the shaders? I'm afraid I can't help with D/S' shader system, but in general terms, the crystal needs some kind of translucency or a transparency. To go with it, it'll need a refraction. Maybe a an internal light as (from your description) it's supposed to be casting light. I would also read up on setting up lights to act as bounced light. It doesn't need to be real complicated.

I didn't notice the dog at first. You'll need to find a way of lighting it that fits with your ideas of how you want it lit. Personally, I would move the dog next to the woman as once it's lit properly it will compete for attention with your woman.

• AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165
    edited December 1969

So I take it you're still working on the shaders? I'm afraid I can't help with D/S' shader system, but in general terms, the crystal needs some kind of translucency or a transparency. To go with it, it'll need a refraction. Maybe a an internal light as (from your description) it's supposed to be casting light. I would also read up on setting up lights to act as bounced light. It doesn't need to be real complicated.

I didn't notice the dog at first. You'll need to find a way of lighting it that fits with your ideas of how you want it lit. Personally, I would move the dog next to the woman as once it's lit properly it will compete for attention with your woman.

I wasn't really happy with the lighting where it was going, so I went back to an earlier version and redid the lighting. Still taking into crystal refraction for later... would think some volumetrics would be fantastic, but no idea how to do them in DAZ. You can see me trying a beam of light using Uber Volume in the background of this render, but its not in a great spot and is likely to be (re)moved later.

testlightscheme.jpg
    810 x 706 - 265K