merging one vertex model into another vertex model

I forget how I did this last year.  Using Carrara 8.5

In the Model Room I have a vertex model. I want to "bring in" another vertex model into that model room so I can make a resulting boolean model.

? How do I import a vertex model into the vertex model room ?

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited July 2015

could be totally wrong, of course it should be in the vertex model room but I seemed to remember it was in the assembly room??

if that's the case, postion both the models, then select them all, then do a boolean on them with the correct drop down menu,

this is from memory, so may not have anything to do with reality as you understand it......

if you want to import a vertex model into the same room as another, select that verytex model in the vertex room, copy it, then go to te other models' vertex room and paste it, may have to adjust its posintion, makes it easy if you name the mesh you pasted too , for selection later on

Post edited by Headwax on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Copy & paste is how I do it too (although I'm more often splitting bits off into separate vertex models).

• Thanks, that worked

• Already answered by others, but here's a tip from PhilW in a previous post on copying and pasting:

PhilW said:

Pjotter said:

Most of my modeling is done in Carrara. But one thing I can't accomplish is, importing an obj and merge it with an existing Carrara model. So it becomes one object and not two. If it is possible, I really would like to know. But I don't think it is possible.

You'll kick yourself how easy it is - open your imported model in the vertex modeller, select all (Ctrl-A), copy it (Ctrl-C), now go back to the assemble room, open your existing model and Paste (Ctrl-V). Make sure that before you paste you deselect everything on your existing model so that your newly pasted object is the only thing selected so that you can move, scale and rotate that to fit you existing model.