Painting In Carrara

sheila.mooresheila.moore Posts: 21
edited July 2015 in Carrara Discussion

Lets say I have an object that already has a color on it and all I want to do is paint something small in the corner.  I dont want to change the original color just add on top.  How do I do that?

Post edited by sheila.moore on

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    Maybe the reveal brush?
  • argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701

Right click on the texture in the paint tool; choose "Add layer"; then paint on that layer. On the pic below, I painted a green spot on top of the mauve cylinder.

layer.png
    651 x 527 - 84K
    Thanks Argus. I didn't have time to try anything out. Time (or lack of) seems to be the bane of my existence lately.
  • Yes but what if I already have a color on the object, I dont want to change it I just want to add to it.  Lets say that cylindar was already a rose color when you went into to paint and you just wanted to put a green dot on it.  How do you do that?

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited August 2015

Interesting - I originally started to post that you should just be able to paint right over it just like argus1000 said, but I tried it and it only works with a primitive. With a vertex object, clicking the 3DPaint tool clears out your original texture.

Weird. 

With a vertex object I had to paint in 3D then edit the shader to mix the new painted texture with the original texture, which I had to reload (I used a multiply since I just painted in black on white).

Step05TaDa.jpg
    640 x 480 - 22K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    You may need to switch the brush or whatever to fast UV from the default, whatever that is. Sorry, I can't check it at the moment, as I'm doing a render and also found out I "lost" to GB of memory somehow...
  • argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited August 2015

Yes but what if I already have a color on the object, I dont want to change it I just want to add to it.  Lets say that cylindar was already a rose color when you went into to paint and you just wanted to put a green dot on it.  How do you do that?

Have you tried to export the texture as a PSD or PNG into Photoshop (or Gimp) and add a non-destructive layer there? Then you can import it back into Carrara. You can change that layer any time you want. Works for me.

Car.png
    1535 x 786 - 582K
    Import.png
    299 x 240 - 22K
    Import.png
    299 x 240 - 22K
    Post edited by argus1000 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

There is usually more than one way to do something in Carrara.  Here is another way to paint just part of a model that already has a texture map or other shader on it.  Use the 3D paint tool to paint a black/white opacity mask to isolate the area that you want to paint (white where you want to paint, black where you don't).  Use an unused channel if available and save to a separate file.  Reload the prop and then paint what you want to paint.  Reload the prop one more time.  It should have the original shader.  Create a complex shader/layer list in the top level of the shader tree.  The original shader should slide to the first layer in the list.  Create a new layer and choose multichannel.  Insert you painted texture map in the color channel.  Use the black/white painting for the opacity mask.  The white area will be where the second painting shows up.

I used this method to paint blood on the front of the Freak's warhammer, which is the first prop in my Daz content folder.  The specular channel was empty so I created a new texture map for it and painted the black/white opacity mask.  Saved that separately.  I then reloaded the hammer and again created a new map and painted the red blood.  Saved that file separately.  Loaded a fresh version of the hammer one more time.  Used the layer list method to have the original prop texture and the blood.

a freak warhammer.JPG
    1816 x 918 - 204K
    a freak hammer display channel as color.JPG
    1028 x 976 - 90K
    a freak hammer rendered.jpg
    640 x 480 - 12K
  • If I want to paint over a base color I either import a .psd into the color channel with the desired base color as the background layer and paint on layers added above it or I create a new texture as .psd, fill the base layer with the desired color from the various color sliders with the fill command and add additional layers above as needed. I always paint on models I've UV mapped in Wings3d though, so the process may be a little different when working with a fast uv projection method. Probably not. There is a slight bug with maintaining transparency of layers during the import export workflow to and from photoshop. Layered files with levels of varying transparency exported from Carrara load as expected into photoshop. If however you reimport the same layered file as a texture back into Carrara, the transparency is altered in such a way that your color levels are invariably darkened. Something to be aware of. My solution to this problem has been to merge layers down in photoshop before heading back into Carrara. This is a bug that is present in ver.8.1 pro on a mac. No biggie really.