Need a tool to calculate volume of objects & characters

Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,080
edited November 2022 in Product Suggestions

I think that "Measure Metrics for DAZ Studio" [ https://www.daz3d.com/measure-metrics-for-daz-studio ] is an awesome tool! Hats off to the developers. Not only does it measure height, width and depth but it also allowes for the measurement of circumferences. I use it EVERY time I create a new character to ensure that the size of the character is within realistic levels.

Who ever doesn't have this package, should seriously consider getting it. That said, I would like to see another version of this product which calculates the total volume that a person or object takes up.

If "Measure Metrics" is able to calculate the circumfrence of things, it should not be too difficult to make a version that will calculate the total volume of something (cubic inches, cubic centimeters, cubic feet, etc).

Post edited by Drogo Nazhur on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,719

It's funny how diffeent users have different needs since I have never had a need for measure metrics, LOL

• SF-DesignSF-Design Posts: 986
    edited November 2022

I like Measure Metrics and would like to see an update for Gen9 as well smiley
    For character creation I feel it is essential.

Post edited by SF-Design on
  • SF-Design said:

Assuming you mean Figure Metrics, the tool for getting and adjusting a figures vital statistics, this is being worked on by the PA

• Richard Haseltine said:

SF-Design said:

Assuming you mean Figure Metrics, the tool for getting and adjusting a figures vital statistics, this is being worked on by the PA

Hmm, I did mean that one : https://www.daz3d.com/measure-metrics-for-daz-studio ;
    Not sure what Figure Metrics is. I am using the one linked to measure the characters total height, low hip, bust etc. circumference. 
    Do you have a link so that I can have a look at the one you are meaning?

• Figure Metrics is a PA product included with Measure Metrics. Measuer metrics is the plug-in, Figure Metrics is the presets with measures and the script that lets you set target values.

• Ah I see, thanks for your explanation Richard. Yes. then I'm using Figure Metrics and good to hear that the PA will update it for Gen9.

Figure Metrics is a PA product included with Measure Metrics. Measuer metrics is the plug-in, Figure Metrics is the presets with measures and the script that lets you set target values.

I've been using Measure Metrics for years but I've NEVER been able to get  Figure Metrics to work. 

• But getting back to my original idea ... can we get a tool that will calculate the volume of a object / character ?

• Drogo Nazhur said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Figure Metrics is a PA product included with Measure Metrics. Measuer metrics is the plug-in, Figure Metrics is the presets with measures and the script that lets you set target values.

I've been using Measure Metrics for years but I've NEVER been able to get  Figure Metrics to work. 

What, if anything, happens when you try?

Drogo Nazhur said:

Richard Haseltine said:

What, if anything, happens when you try?

When trying to use the script to change a value, the dmensions of the entire figure is altered proportionally

• Which value? What property is associated with it (in the Editor or Advanced tab, I don't currently have it open to check)?

Which value? What property is associated with it (in the Editor or Advanced tab, I don't currently have it open to check)?

Just for example, I/m trying to reset the height of my character and the waist. I select both properties as shown in the example.   When I hit accept, it either re-scales the figure bsed on height or waist size. Either the height is off and the waist size is correct or the waist size is correct and the height is wrong. I/m probably doing something wrong but I've never been able to get this to work. I use it mainly to give me the measurements and I manually adjust the sizes. If you could explain how to get it to work for me, I'g greatly appreciate it.

• So which properties are you using? If, for example, you are trying to increase height and reduce waist (or vice versa) you need ti be sure that the property adjusting the height isn't also adjusting the waist in the wrong diection, otherwise the adjustments the script makes will be fighting each other and you will not get the desired result. As I understand the script tries tweaking the target properties and sees if the measurement has moved in the right or wrong direction - if it's gone too far it reduces the tweak next time, if it hasn't gone far enough it increases the tweak next time, and if it has gone in the wrong direction it reverses it - if both adjustments are affecting the same target measure in different ways than that iterative approach will be unable to settle on a good final set of values.

• I've been selecting scale for everything. Based on what you said, the script is using the whole body scale to accomplish what it is trying to do. I was under the impression that it would use individual scaling of each body part. Knowing this, I will try it again this week to see what happens.

Thank you

PS: I'm still interested in a volume tool ;)

• The script is using exactly the properties selected. It's automating a proceudure you could do yourself, look at the measures, adjust the properties, look at the updated measures, adjust the properties in the direction that shows promise, look at the measures, adjust the properties... - it does this as many times as it is set to use iterations. Doing the same by hand would be tiresome, but would achieve the same result in the end.

• PraxisPraxis Posts: 242

Drogo Nazhur said:

PS: I'm still interested in a volume tool ;)

You (or someone) could write a Script to do it for closed meshes:  https://archive.gamedev.net/archive/reference/articles/article2247.html

Just translate the C++ code to DAZ Script...

• the various Slicer softwares for 3D printing could do it too