Orestes Cobwebs

kageGkageG Posts: 14

Does anyone have any tips on how best to use this product. There isn't a readme with it and no matter what I do I can't seem to get them to look realistic. Also, can't seem to figure out how to use the high res web cloth.

Err . . . what on earth happened to my username??

Post edited by kageG on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

You can change your username here: https://www.daz3d.com/customer/account/edit/

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

User names are now consistent with gallery names, and the Gallery name takles precendent.

It was announced some time back about Gallery names 

Because we've been having issues with duplicate usernames in the galleries, we've implemented a duplicate name test that will prevent users from changing their name to a username that is already in use.

Because there were already numerous duplicate names already in the system, we've allowed the first user who claimed that name to keep that name, and all other duplicate usernames were changed to "[original_name]_[gallery_id]" to make it unique.

If your gallery username was changed, feel free to change it to something more to your liking, but if the username you choose is already in use, you won't be able to use it.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

This explains why the change,

• Wheera re you using the cobwebs - Poser, DAZ Studio or soemthing else? If DAZ Studio are you using Iray or 3Delight? Or are you using an external renderer such as LuxRender or Octane via a plugi-in?

• kageGkageG Posts: 14
    edited July 2015

Sorry Richard - I wasn't very clear in my post. Using in Daz Studio and rendering with 3Delight. The issue I'm having is that they have webs on multiple planes and often some planes look great while other planes reflect the light badly or just look grey depending on light setup. Just finding them a bit tricky to use unlike many other props I've bought which are all so easy to use and modify. My short term solution has been to set the opacity of some planes to 0 to get the look I want.

Still can't figure out the high res web cloth though. I've tried draping it in the the dynamic clothing tool but it keeps saying it's not a dynamic cloth. Any ideas?

Thanks for answers on my username - must have missed the note about gallery names - will try to change.

Post edited by kageG on
  • The draping version is Poser dynamic cloth - it won't work in DAZ Studio (though you could manually deform it with DForms). It looks as if they should be auto-loading the DS settings, assuming your DAZ Studio version is later than 4.5, so it probably isn't a material setting issue. What type of shadow are your lights using - Deep Shadow Maps or Ray-traced?

It's 4.8 and they're ray-traced. The lighting is pretty good every where else. I just have to accept that they're going to take a bit of work to get just right. Thanks, as always, for your help Richard. You've also been very helpful with my work login (keithg) and always so quick to respond. Do you live on these forums :)

I think I'm about there - took a lot more fiddling than I expected but the cobwebs are great when you get the angle right.

tile stairs down.jpg
    780 x 1120 - 617K
  • Yes, those look quite effective.