Changed graphics card from gtx 780 ti to gtx 970, renders look worse

Hi guys, I changed my graphics card and now the renders look worse. Did I get a wrong card? I thought a higher number with a higher price meant better quality and speed. But the quality was worse, however it was faster.

I saw the specs after I installed it and there seems to be certain things that the 780 ti are better at.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-970-vs-GeForce-GTX-780-Ti

Does that mean I screwed up? The 'texture mapping units' are higher on the old one.

:(

Thank you guys,
Emm

Comments

• Actually I think I made a mistake. The old one was a 750 ti.

It seems like the gtx 970 is better in all aspects but it's strange that the renders look worse.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,001
    edited August 2015

Will your motherboard allow you to use both? Quality, if it isn't timing out, should not depend on GPU (or CPU) - those affect only the speed.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Hi Richard

I think I can put the old one in too but I don't have an additional power supply. Do you think the new graphics card could really be worse? The specs say that it is better.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-970-vs-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti

It's strange that it is faster but I find that the quality is worse. Could it be my settings? What could be some causes?

Thank you
    E

• Read some things that graphics card does not affect rendering quality in Daz because it uses the CPU? It only affects the speed? Maybe it has something to do with my settings.

• It's certainly worth checking your settings, yes.

• Oh ok. May I just ask why some characters suddenly became silver? They look silver in the preview but when I render they look normal.

Thank you

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891

Read some things that graphics card does not affect rendering quality in Daz because it uses the CPU? It only affects the speed? Maybe it has something to do with my settings.

Are you using 3Delight or Iray?

3Delight only uses the CPU, but Iray can use either CPU or GPU or BOTH. 

Oh ok. May I just ask why some characters suddenly became silver? They look silver in the preview but when I render they look normal.

The DAZ Studio Viewport only uses OpenGL to display, so Shaders will not appear correctly untill rendered.

• Oh ok. ay I ask why some characters suddenly became silver? They look silver in the preview but when I render they look normal.

Thank you

Read some things that graphics card does not affect rendering quality in Daz because it uses the CPU? It only affects the speed? Maybe it has something to do with my settings.

Are you using 3Delight or Iray?

3Delight only uses the CPU, but Iray can use either CPU or GPU or BOTH. 

Oh ok. May I just ask why some characters suddenly became silver? They look silver in the preview but when I render they look normal.

The DAZ Studio Viewport only uses OpenGL to display, so Shaders will not appear correctly untill rendered.

Hi Jimmy

I am using 3Delight. I am not sure if I used Iray before. I can't seem to select the setting. Only opengl is availabe besides 3delight.

The characters were not silver and shimmery before. Sometimes they appear gray and they are still gray after rendering

Thank you

• I just realized I did a windows restore some time back. Maybe I had the latest version of Daz studio before. Then now they reverted back to the older version before the update? Maybe that was iray?

• Omg... Problem solved. It was as I thought. But why are some characters still silver?

Thank you

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

OpenGL is trying to display what it can of the surface settings -- it will often just show as black, but it depends on the shader.

• Hi Fixmypcmike It wasn't like this before. But it's not a huge issue. .. only when the render also looks silver or gray. Thank you E