I Appear To Be The Only One With A Win10/Carrara issue!

Hi guys,

I appear to be, as stated in the title, the only person that has a problem running Carrara on Windows 10, and I am anxious to find out why, and solve the problem!

I am running a dual core Pentium system with 8gb RAM, plenty of hard drive space, NVidia Geforce GT430 graphic card and Windows 10 Home.  My NVidia drivers are up to date, as is Windows 10.  Just did a check on both of them for new stuffs and both came up empty.

When I double click on Carrara it blinks up a window which (I assume at least) would contain the splash screen, but almost as soon as it arrives it's gone again, and nothing more happens.

When I look on my "All Apps" list from the start menu, there is no mention of Carrara anywhere, but there's no mention of DS either and DS works just fine.

All I can say for sure is that 'Rara worked just fine last week because I did some renders for greeting cards.

I have uninstalled, removed and reinstalled through DIM.  Still no luck.

I don't know if there are any settings that I can change on the NVidia Control thingo, but I'm absolutely stumped.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Barry

Comments

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    When I double click on Carrara it blinks up a window which (I assume at least) would contain the splash screen, but almost as soon as it arrives it's gone again, and nothing more happens.

I had that same problem once when installing the latest version of Carrara 8.5. It turned out that it was one of my plugins ("extensions" section) that wouldn't play nice. I had to re-install my plugins.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615

Did you try re-installing your graphics drivers?

Also, you said you re-installed Carrara using the DIM?

Personally, when de-bugging stuff like this, I tend to go as bare bones as possible so I can narrow it down. I would take DIM out of the picture if possible, and just install Carrara using the regular install file.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

I wonder if this user is also having Windows 10 compatibility issues?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/60393/an-error-has-occurred

It might be interesting to submit a trouble ticket to DAZ and see if they respond. I'd be interested to see if they are continuing with Carrara support, especially now that Win 10 is here.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,844

Windows 10 releasing would not affect DAZ's support system. If you are having an issue, as always, please submit a support ticket. With Windows 10 being new, there could be some time necessary to tweak things as needed (as with all applications) but I am sure they will look into the matter and resolve whatever the issue is.

• All I can say for sure is that 'Rara worked just fine last week because I did some renders for greeting cards.

I assume it all stopped working after you upgraded to W10 ? as you say W10 in topic.

At startup Carrara mess around with Postgres, could this me some Valentina/Postgres related problem ? is it running correct, what version of Carrara are you using ?

Have you changed anything else except upgraded to W10 ?

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited August 2015

Thanks for the responses, guys.  I didn't reply last night because of another WIN10 issue, my CD ROM had vanished!  Well, no, it was still there, but according to WIN10 it had vanished.  I just solved that one, now to try the Carrara issue.

So, without further ado... Some more ado!

@Argus1000:  How did you do that?  Just remove the files from the directory and add them one by one 'til you identified the problem?  Might try that.  What's the worst that can ha... *BOOM*...

@JoeMama2000:  Yep, graphic driver is up to date, I did a check for that and a check for Windows updates before starting the thread just to make sure.  And yeah, thought I might try the install files directly this time.  Will let you know what happens, if anything.

@evilproducer:  Not sure, seems like a very different problem.  I don't really want to speculate.

@DAZ_ann0314:  Will submit a ticket if I can't solve this by the end of the day, I know they're busy folk and if I'm the only one having this issue it's not a priority.  Seems most people have had no problems at all.

@mikael-aronsson:  I am also assuming it stopped after I upgraded to Windows 10.  I can't be absolutely 100% since I hadn't used it for a couple of days beforehand, but I'd place a sizeable bet that it happened after my Win10 install.  Hadn't changed anything prior to Windows 10.

I have to admit, I don't know anything about Valentina/Postgres, so anything you can tell me about that would be good.

Right, so first step will be to try the extensions/plugins and see if it loads up without those.  Then a fresh install if not.

Thanks again,

Barry.

Post edited by BlumBlumShub on
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    Your graphics card is not yet fully supported in Win10. Nvidia will update the driver for Fermi cards later (gtx 4xx). Not sure if that is a problem for Carrara though... More info http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-353-62-windows-10-driver-download.html
    Another fun problem in Win 10 for nvidia is mixing an older card with older driver with newer card/driver. Does not work since only one type of driver is supported at a time. In case of using laptops with Intel Gpu for low power and nvidia for 3D high power it may be a problem. Or with mixed multiple GPUs.

Might be a GPU driver issue, I have no idea.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled (without DIM this time) and even uninstalled DS/PostgreSQL and reinstalled them, then uninstalled Carrara and reinstalled that again, and still nothing.

Nothing for it, gonna have to use the mighty Bryce.

Have not tried Win10 yet myself on a Fermi but will do that soon. In the mean time, can you try the old compatibility mode settings? Or the new compat troubleshooter? More info here http://www.howtogeek.com/219782/is-windows-10-backwards-compatible-with-your-existing-software/ There is nothing new in Win 10 that breaks old apps that worked in 7 or 8.
    3drendero said:
    Have not tried Win10 yet myself on a Fermi but will do that soon. In the mean time, can you try the old compatibility mode settings? Or the new compat troubleshooter? More info here http://www.howtogeek.com/219782/is-windows-10-backwards-compatible-with-your-existing-software/ There is nothing new in Win 10 that breaks old apps that worked in 7 or 8.

Yeah, tried compatibility mode, that failed too.  I think it's just going to be one of those things.  If I had a completely fresh install of Windows 10 I bet it would work. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

can you uninstall carrara, run ccleaner and clean registry too maybe?

then retry

If you ever installed the LuxusCore plugin it needs to be manually deleted. Previous versions timed out and crashed Carrara. Also means that if you did a "dirty" installation of Win 10, old plugins may interfere and needs manual deletion.

@JaguarElla:  Ccleaner isn't a bad idea, thank you, I'll try that.

@3drendero:  Yeah it was the dirty installation of a dirty operating system that worried me, some things don't carry over well at all.  In fact I am surprised that only Carrara is borked!

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited August 2015

Hey  Blum Blum :)

Try this for me please,.

Install Carrara's main program into a new location,. then try running that core program.

Reaching the "Splash screen" normally means that Carrara has loaded the core and is now adding additional extensions, and it could be one or more of these extensions which isn't playing nice with Win10,. .....You could also revert back to the OS which worked previously and wasn't borked, and could work happily for years.

But let's try to figure out what the issue is with your Carrara and Win10 before exploring that alternative.

Edited to add,,,,

This issue has nothing to do with using DIM or installing files Manually

Either way you choose to go,. the exact same files are downloaded and installed.

Using Dim to install Carrara  provides the  auto installation of additional carrara content or plugins

Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited August 2015

Hi matey, long time no see :)

Ok.  Since DIM automates things I've opted to remove it from the equation and install via the manual way.  Uninstalled the current one first.

Installed to a different folder, rather professionally named CarraraBoogieWoogie, and no, it still didn't work I'm afraid.  Exactly the same response.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that CCleaner didn't help either.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Too long :)

That's a real shame if it's not working for you, and annoying that it's working for others using win 10.. however, it's worth bearing in mind that Mocrosoft are saying that the release of Win 10 will be staggered to suit different customers with different hardware issues,. so it could be the case that something which carrara needs to run isn't currently supported on your system in win10.

My advice would be the simple solution,. go back to what worked and wait for Win10 (service pack 2)

Personally,. I have no plans to jump to Win10 anytime,,,,,, If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it,.. :)

edited August 2015

I like Windows 10 actually, and being blunt about it I use Windows a lot more than  I use Carrara, so I'm sticking with it and sacrificing what doesn't work.

I'm not short of 3D software by any means.  For landscapes I've got Vue 2015 Studio and the mighty Grandmother of all landscapers, Bryce.  Both of those still work.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I like Windows 10 actually, and being blunt about it I use Windows a lot more than  I use Carrara, so I'm sticking with it and sacrificing what doesn't work.

I'm not short of 3D software by any means.  For landscapes I've got Vue 2015 Studio and the mighty Grandmother of all landscapers, Bryce.  Both of those still work.

That's my boy