Visible differences between G8 and G9

Willy2Willy2 Posts: 167
edited November 2022 in Art Studio

Between G8 and G9, there are the well known design differences, but also the visible differences that we notice immediately or gradually by doing some specific work.

For those who have tested G8 and G9, with good quality renderings, what are according to you the visible and appreciable differences.
If it's obvious that the new G9 mesh is better designed than the G8 mesh, are the renderings of better quality?
Also, do you think that the G9 morphs allow you to be more creative and to create faces that the G8 morphs didn't allow?

Personally, I haven't used G9 yet, but according to the images visible on DAZ website, it seems that G9 expressions are much more realistic than G8 expressions (especially the smile). For a single frame render, the expression of a character isn't of major importance, but for a video it becomes essential if you want a very realistic render.

Also, when exporting G9 characters to Cinema 4D, Maya or Blender, is the rendering of the eyes improved (the Iray shaders that allow you to have very realistic eyes in DazStudio were difficult to convert with rendering engines such as RedShift or Arnold, to the point that you had to replace the native eyes to have an acceptable quality)

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• I think the skin quality is better, and yes, expressions seem better too. I attach a test image I did featuring Vicky9 in the foreground, and a G8 model in the background. V9 has a G9 hair, but the rest of the wardrobe for both models is G8. Hope this helps show the difference. I think it would be less of a contrast if the G8 model was HD.

Vic9Test2a.jpg
    2200 x 2000 - 460K
  • JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    edited November 2022

stripe6499_9253833ae8 said:

I think the skin quality is better, and yes, expressions seem better too...

Looks like there is a bit of a texture issue on the face... Side of the cheek, the skin sharply changes from shaded to lit-up. Looks like she is wearing a face-mask of someone-else.

Image1.jpg
    648 x 624 - 85K
    Post edited by JD_Mortal on
  • I hadn't noticed that, but you're right. I did notice the weird white effect around the tear ducts. That seemed to be an issue with a mat application, and it disappeared in a later render. I'll have to revisit this scene and see if it was me screwing something up or a problem in Daz, more likely the former though.

• Moved to Art Studio as it is not a Daz Studio topic. Not locking as long as it is about the visuals, if it turns into a general comparison there are already a lot of therads for that.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

The skin materials are so good now that I can effortless render a character that looks as good as all these other DAZ customers that know a lot of lighting and shader materials tricks to get realistic looking renders.