License question for gaming content

I know that i can purchase an interactive license to be able to use a figure within a gaming engine and as morphs have also an additional interactive license option, am i right that i should order for example interactive license for V4 and for the morphs to be able to use my own V4 characters with a gaming engine?

Another question about that is, i am wondering if the license is for the figure, morph and the mesh? And could i use just the figure as reference to recreate my own Version of it?
For example, exporting a morphed figure after converting to primitive and than vertex modeler again, it becomes it's own mesh (with all morphs applied that they are native within the figure.)

If i then export it as fbx or obj it already is an own figure but if i then retopologize the figure to a lower poly model, nothing from Daz Content remains and it's an own figure with an own mesh and own rigging (if i do it for that mesh), my question here is should i still need a licence as the base reference was created with a Daz figure, even if my recreation is a completely new one with own mesh, bones and rig?

Just wondering, sculpting anatomy raf is hard to find and Daz figures (or at least my own morphed characters) would be great to be used as reference. So i would for example load it into Carrara, make screenshots in T-Pose for Front, Side and Back, load the images within Carrara and than model around those images, or the easier way load the model, than retopologize and have my own mesh already.

I'm working on my own game and don't want to run into any kind of copyright violation.

Comments

• Chris Fox Art said:

I know that i can purchase an interactive license to be able to use a figure within a gaming engine and as morphs have also an additional interactive license option, am i right that i should order for example interactive license for V4 and for the morphs to be able to use my own V4 characters with a gaming engine?

You need an Interactive License for every product that you use to build the data for your game. You do not need an Interactive License to include 2D renders (animated or still) of the content.

Another question about that is, i am wondering if the license is for the figure, morph and the mesh? And could i use just the figure as reference to recreate my own Version of it?
    For example, exporting a morphed figure after converting to primitive and than vertex modeler again, it becomes it's own mesh (with all morphs applied that they are native within the figure.)

As above, you need a license for the things you use. The amount of post work you do is not relevant, if you are using the content to generate the 3D and/or texture data you need an Interactive License.

If i then export it as fbx or obj it already is an own figure but if i then retopologize the figure to a lower poly model, nothing from Daz Content remains and it's an own figure with an own mesh and own rigging (if i do it for that mesh), my question here is should i still need a licence as the base reference was created with a Daz figure, even if my recreation is a completely new one with own mesh, bones and rig?

Yes, as above - if you can do the work without using the Daz content then do so, if you use the Daz content then you are bound by the Daz license.

Just wondering, sculpting anatomy raf is hard to find and Daz figures (or at least my own morphed characters) would be great to be used as reference. So i would for example load it into Carrara, make screenshots in T-Pose for Front, Side and Back, load the images within Carrara and than model around those images, or the easier way load the model, than retopologize and have my own mesh already.

I'm working on my own game and don't want to run into any kind of copyright violation.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Chris Fox Art said:

You need an Interactive License for every product that you use to build the data for your game. You do not need an Interactive License to include 2D renders (animated or still) of the content.

As above, you need a license for the things you use. The amount of post work you do is not relevant, if you are using the content to generate the 3D and/or texture data you need an Interactive License.

Yes, as above - if you can do the work without using the Daz content then do so, if you use the Daz content then you are bound by the Daz license.

So if i get it right than, if i use any Daz relevant content within a Game engine i need the interactive licence. If i set a figure with morphs applied in a T-Pose and render front, side and back to use these just as reference image, sculpt an own model out of the reference, create custom textures and shaders for that so that it's a complete new model independent from any Daz content itself i am not bound to Daz licence as it's an own independent figure with own mesh, own shading/textures and rigging?
    No content from Daz Store will be used inside the engine at the end.

• If you are trying to figure out just how close to the wind you can sail you are likely to capsize. If you want to use daz content to help build 3D models then just buy the Interactive Licenses and you will be free to expand your workflow as needed, what you propose sounds pretty dubious since you are trying to get the benefit without paying the relatively small cost (especially as you can, unless you plan to release in very short order, wait for a sale on the licenses - you need them only when you start distributing the game, such as the beta stage).

• I just want to be sure not to violate any copyright, that's why i am asking.
    To use a 2d model as reference is not an exact 1 to 1 copy of the original, it will be different as i would still go through the full process of sculpting, modeling, do retopology for a low poly model, do own UV Mapping for that figure, create own textures, own bones and own rigging at the end.
    So the figure will get details that won't be on the reference or original figure as it is bound to it's limitation of morph targets and sliders.
    Reference images are not easy to find and for many high res reference photos/scans you also have to pay money. All my Daz Figures are already paid and i am allowed to use them for rendering images or doing movie animations. Reference would be a 2d image of the figure and only be there for the sculpting out of a box to an independent character.
    For what i am planning i want to create my own assets, props and characters, i don't want to use paid assets or anything as there are games out there with purchased assets and people thinking it's taken from this or that game but at the end it's just free or paid assets, that's one of the reasons why i don't want to use already created content from others.
    For V4 for example, it would be +50$ for interactive licence, if i use Sapes++ it would be additional 50$ for the shapes++, if i would use a mix between different figure morphs like from Grace, Helena and Angel (about 5% of each morph) that would be another +50$ for each, using elite body shapes would be another 50$. These alone would be 300$ just for interactive licence which would be too much to spend for me to be able to use these within a game and there would still be the textures to be used. If i than would also use hair and clothes, that would be even more than which i can't and don't really want to afford, that's also the whole point of creating everything on my own just using reference images set up in Daz or Carrara, the end figure will still differs from the Daz figure, Textures also won't be possible to reuse as it will have it's own UV Mapping.

So my question was just if i violate any copyright doing it that way or if the images are allowed to use them for whatever you wish to do with them.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,036
    edited November 2022

wouldn't a bundle count as a license

and it's a shame we never got those free printing licenses for DAZ Originals we owned

like this one https://www.daz3d.com/super-physicality-bundle

I did manually grab some including Morphs++

but none show as purchased

Gaming I own the indie one for DAZ Originals that used to be on offer, dunno it it still stands https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/prod/12113

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • WendyLuvsCatz said:

and it's a shame we never got those free printing licenses for DAZ Originals we owned

Gaming I own the indie one for DAZ Originals that used to be on offer, dunno it it still stands https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/prod/12113

I still remember the old times where all the stuff didn't got that interactive licence option, so you wasnt able to purchase a license to use the items in games.
    Now every item got that interactive license option and i'm a bit confused.
    From what i've understand is that every product purchased here isn't allowed to be used in game unless you have the license and that license covers only Daz Products but not Products from third party members.
    But reading the Eula it's not clear to see if you are allowed to use your own created characters with morphs as reference images for creating your own figures. On the other hand, if i create friends of mine in 3D with Daz figures as best as possible it's my creation with the Daz figure and there is no copyright on the shape of the creation. If a real body looks very similar to that and you model it, it also could be referred to a Daz Base figure if there are similarities, so it's hard to tell if there is a violation of the eula or copyright.
    Before doing anything i want to know clearly what i am allowed to do with my creation/images of my creation to be on the save site.
    I know from Youtube for example, if you create songs with music maker and upload them there, they will be claims that other people have the right to that song even if you have purchased the soundloops and also the right license for them and created your own songs, they still get claimed by others.

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

Most of the 3D Print licenses worked, if you didn't get any it may be worth a support ticket.