is Iray coming to Carrara?

I really hope so.

Comments

• No.

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365

First G3 - than iray - maybe wink

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

As a Mac user (& hence committed to/stuck with ATi) I'd prefer something that's hardware agnostic. iray on my CPU is painfully slow, & the nvidia card on my old iMac is too low RAM for anything but small scenes.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,831

I'm enjoying Iray in DAZ Studio, so I'd love to see Iray in Carrara. But currently the fate of Carrara is uncertain, so I think that anyone outside DAZ who says "yes" or "no" probably doesn't know what they're talking about. Carrara might be already dead, as far as DAZ is concerned. Or they might be working day and night to finish the first alpha of Carrara 9. They haven't said anything one way or another, so we have no way of knowing.

Maybe the better question is not "Is Iray coming to Carrara?" but "Would you like to see Iray come to Carrara?"

To which my answer is a definite 'yes'. I feel @Tim_A's pain, but as the owner of a Mac with a reasonably good NVIDIA card, I'm selfishly eager to see Iray everywhere.

One thing I do hope is that there'll be a way to transfer Iray shaders from DAZ Studio to Carrara (even if it requires setting the scene up in DAZ Studio first). I've started to invest in Iray shaders for DAZ Studio, and I'd really prefer not to have to buy them all again to use with Carrara.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

I played a bit in DAZ studio with G3F thinking I may buy some of the new stuff and even upgrade Octane DS to 2.2 from 1.5 though our dollar is kinda crap for that at present.

but just a few minutes in to DS's annoying animation limitations I ran screaming back to Carrara and iClone.

I for that matter even quite like 3Delight render engine for some stuff but there are so many things I cannot do in studio it frustrates  me no end, yes it loads everything nice and for a static render I have no issues using it at all except I do not do those much cheeky

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

According to the Smith Micro blog, the next Poser will get the Cycles render engine (blog dot smithmicro dot com in case it would fall foul of the linl police).

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    Tim_A said:

According to the Smith Micro blog, the next Poser will get the Cycles render engine (blog dot smithmicro dot com in case it would fall foul of the linl police).

Looks interesting, and IMVHO it should be much easier for materials/shaders and lighting than in FireFly (I really dislike lighting in Poser as it stands right now). The unfortunate part is that the current stance is that GPU rendering will not be enabled/supported. But this may not be a big deal, as some of the info I have found sounds like GPU rendering in Cycles isn't much faster, and possibly  even slower (I need to get off my lazy kester and check for myself).

• DBuchterDBuchter Posts: 70

I'm enjoying Iray in DAZ Studio, so I'd love to see Iray in Carrara. But currently the fate of Carrara is uncertain, so I think that anyone outside DAZ who says "yes" or "no" probably doesn't know what they're talking about. Carrara might be already dead, as far as DAZ is concerned. Or they might be working day and night to finish the first alpha of Carrara 9. They haven't said anything one way or another, so we have no way of knowing.

Maybe the better question is not "Is Iray coming to Carrara?" but "Would you like to see Iray come to Carrara?"

To which my answer is a definite 'yes'. I feel @Tim_A's pain, but as the owner of a Mac with a reasonably good NVIDIA card, I'm selfishly eager to see Iray everywhere.

One thing I do hope is that there'll be a way to transfer Iray shaders from DAZ Studio to Carrara (even if it requires setting the scene up in DAZ Studio first). I've started to invest in Iray shaders for DAZ Studio, and I'd really prefer not to have to buy them all again to use with Carrara.

The last version of Carrara was massive - lots of development involved. What makes you think it's on the brink of extinction?

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited August 2015

Just to clarify Carrara's release history and associated features, here's some stuff from Wikipedia. My memory isn't that good on the details, but it sounds reasonable:

In Carrara 8.0 (released May 2010):

• 64-bit for Mac and Windows OS
    • Multi-threading for Mac and Windows OS
    • Bullet physics Library
    • Improved FBX and COLLADA Data Exchange
    • Negative lights and photometrics (IES)
    • God rays and barn door lighting & effects
    • Editing of posed meshes
    • Puppeteer

In Carrara 8.5 (released August 2013):

• Native DSON importer
    • Native AutoFit and improved Fit To functionality for figure clothing and accessories
    • Improved Sequencer, Keyframing and Animation Tools
    • Smart Content and CMS Integration
    • Animation Commands — Zero, Memorise, Restore (figures, selections and selection trees)
    • Improved representation of lights in viewport (Spot, Sun, Moon, Tube, and Shape lights)
    • Shader additions (Multi-Layer Shader and Elements)

Some might say that the last really feature-rich "massive" release of Carrara, which was more "feature based" as opposed to "content based" was Carrara 8.0, released 5 years ago.

Although for me, the Zero/Memorize/Restore commands in Carrara 8.5 were some of the nicest and most useful features introduced into Carrara in a long time. Yeah, probably very easy to implement compared to other stuff, but nevertheless very useful and very long overdue. 

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on