No content or smart content appearing in 8.5 Pro?

So I finally took the plunge and picked up 8.5 Pro. For some reason, though, it's not populating any of my content. 7,2 and DAZ finds it just fine on my computer. Is there some special issue with 8.5 Pro where it can't find content on a computer?

Comments

• BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591

Also, when I click on "Help", the help menu says "Carrara 7". Even the help menu in 7.2 says "Carrara Professional". lol 

What's the what?

I was able to just manually cram in my content by using the "Add Runtime" feature. But none of Carrara's Smart content is there, none of the items are there that are supposed to come auto-equipped in Carrara Pro 8.5. Am I the only person who has had this issue?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Hi BC Rice

Carrara's own (native content) and the additional (bundled) content from Daz3D are provided as seperate downloads, ..or installers if you're not using DIM,.

In DIM, you should see the "Carrara native content" and if you've used DIM to install Carrara, then it should Automatically install the native content to your carrara application folder.

If you've not used DIM to install the Carrara application,. then you'll need to set up the application path to Carrara in DIM. 

The Carrara Native content, (Shaders, Scenes, Wizards) etc, get's installed into your main Carrara application folder, (that's why anotherr version opf carrara won' "find" your installed carrara native content,.

"Content" can be found on your system if it's stored in a specific "runtime" or "Library"  (such as Poser or Daz Studio "Content")

Carrara's own "Native content" is completely different from Daz/Poser "Content" and will not show up in a content search.

Carrara needs to have tit's own "native content" located within the application folder . (it cannot locate and use the carrara native content from a different installation of carrara)

You can chose to intall the native content, or not,. Carrara's core program can be used without those, EG: the beta versions are supplied as program only.

Carrara does not have any "Smart content" that's a phrase associated with Daz3D Stidio and specifically Genesis figure and related content,

If you want to use the Daz3D "Smart content" in Carrara, then you'll need to have the "Postgres" databasee installed.

This is normally done when you install Daz3D Studio,. however,.. you should also be able to use DIM to install the Postgres database without requirng that Daz3D Studio is intalled.

The Postgres Database is the system which provides, displays and updates "Smart Content" from Daz3D Studio inside Carrara's browser..

Regarding the Help system within Carrara, The core program and it's functions have not changed significantly in the last few versions,. so it makes little sense to devote development funds to re-creating what already exists. hence C7 help manual in C8.

. Hope it helps  :)

edited August 2015

Hm...

Is there any chance that having 7.2 Pro still installed on my machine is causing some of the problems? I'm concerned about removing it because I'm not sure where to find YAToon and Toon Pro downloads to reinstall them in 8.5. 

In a perfect world, 8.5 would simply "upgrade" my existing 7.2Pro so that I would retain all of my shaders, etc. But my 7.2Pro came on a CD, so that's not going to happen. 

UPDATE: I've found Toon Pro (and the elusive) YAToon files in Carrara's extensions. So I can save those separately and then uninstall 7.2. Hope that helps. :\

Post edited by BC Rice on

Ugh. Well that was all for nothing. Removed 7.2 Pro, and 8.5 is still not behaving like it should, the way 7.2Pro behaved. 

I think I should completely uninstall DAZ and all its libraries. Even when I uninstalled 8.5Pro completely, when I brought it back up it still remembered my serial number and where content was located. That shouldn't be happening. That tells me that somehow some remnant of 8.5 is staying in my computer even after I've uninstalled it. 

edited August 2015

Hi

In a prerfect world the program would be an "update" to existing versions, but we're dealing with a completly new version,

Your "third party" plugins.will most likely have been updated for C8 and those should be downloaded from the developers web site.

Most plugins are Version specific.

All plugins are installed into the "Extensions" folder,. within the main Carrara Application folder.

Much of the Carrara core features are also installed into the Extensions folder, so it's not a good idea to move/delete/replace files if you don't know what they are or do.

Your system (or the plugin intaller) should create "un-intallers" to allow you to manually remove these plugins if you needed to.

Since "plugins" by nature are additional installations,. they will not be "uninstalled" if you uninstall C7,.however, they will have been installed into Carrara's folders structure and that means if you uninstal C7 it will leave those plugin files and folders behind since these are not empty.

You can have multiple versions of carrara installed on a single machine and those will work independently, so you don't have to ununstall C7 if you don't want to,.

You do need to install the "Carrara Native Content" into each version of Carrara in order to access the Scene Wizards, shaders example scenes etc...

I currently have C6, C7, C8, C8.5 installed  (mainly for testing) although I'm primarilly using C8.5.

You should use DIM to install the Carrara native Content, and then download any updated plugins from the developers.

YaToon shoudl be available through Carrara Cafe

Toon Pro is from "Digital Carvers Guild"

Hope it helps

Post edited by 3DAGE on

When you say I need to install carrara native content "into" each version of Carrara, what does that mean? I downloaded Carrara 8.5 Pro through the Download Manager. I then downloaded Carrara Native Content through the download manager. It did nothing to put any content into Carrara 8.5. In fact, the only content that has managed to show up in the menus of 8.5 is the stuff that I've physically gone in and pointed it to. E.g. folders that I created to house content as well as the file that DAZ created to house content. Carrara 8.5 is not finding these things on its own. No native content, no anything. When I download Carrara there is literally one thing in all of its combined menus, and that's of some snow scene or something. 

At this point I've uninstalled 7.2Pro and think that the only next course of action must be to uninstall DAZ as well since even after I uninstall 8.5, when I *re-install* it, it's finding those same folders and knows my security code. A completely uninstalled program shouldn't know anything. It should be behaving like a new program. So that makes me think that it has something to do with DAZ still sitting on my computer. 

edited August 2015

Jesus...DAZ is getting more and more frustrating. How do you even get this crap off of your computer? DAZ isn't showing up as something I can "Uninstall" in my programs folder, there's no uninstaller for it, there's nothing in the Install Manager. Wow....

Anyway, I'm just sniping everything DAZ, bit by bit. Hopefully I can get the bugger off of my computer entirely. 

Post edited by BC Rice on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    3DAGE said:

Regarding the Help system within Carrara, The core program and it's functions have not changed significantly in the last few versions,. so it makes little sense to devote development funds to re-creating what already exists. hence C7 help manual in C8. ... 

In a prerfect world the program would be an "update" to existing versions, but we're dealing with a completly new version ... 

Those two statements seem incompatible.  Am I missing something?

Steve K said:
    3DAGE said:

Regarding the Help system within Carrara, The core program and it's functions have not changed significantly in the last few versions,. so it makes little sense to devote development funds to re-creating what already exists. hence C7 help manual in C8. ... 

In a prerfect world the program would be an "update" to existing versions, but we're dealing with a completly new version ... 

Those two statements seem incompatible.  Am I missing something?

Well and it was way more weird that my 7.2 Pro came with a "Carrara Professional" manual, and 8.5 Pro came with a "Carrara 7" manual. 

O_o 

The "Content" from Poser or Daz Studio is not native to carrara

that's why you need to search for, or allow Carrara to auto-search for external content and runtime folders.after you install it.

If You've used Carrara to install both the main program and the "native content" then it should be showing up automatically when you open carrara.

All the "Carrara Native Content" is installed directly into the Carrara program folder,.

Carrara's Native content not showing up in Carrara has nothing to do with Daz Studio or Poser installations.

Dax3D studio and Poser "content" are installed into either a Daz Library or Poser Runtime folder structures, which are not part of Carrara.

In Dim,..

You can right click an "installed" product,. and choose (show installed files)

The "Carrara native content" should be installed into the Carrara application folder,.  for each carrara version

If it's Not,. then you need to check the application paths in DIM are pointing at the correct Carrara version and re-intall it to that program files folder

If you Uninstall many aplications, you can leave behind licence or Preference files which are not created by the application insrtaller, but are created by the user after installing the application.

the choice to create a new version number and supply a complete install (as opposed to an updating of an existing application)

is a decision made by the developers, as is the decision to supply an older version of the manual

Okay! So I managed to completely get DAZ and Carrara and everything else off the computer. I removed every last bit of content I've ever gotten from DAZ. Reinstalled Carrara, DAZ and all 1,000 bits of content and -- everything is wonderful now! :D

I even managed to find my Toon Pro and YAToon shaders. They'd been updated for 8.5 which meant that none of the shaders I'd previously built work with them, but honestly, that's not a big deal. They're all PS files anyway, so it's just about re-uploading the JPEG images using the new shader interfaces and then saving the shaders, etc. 

Thanks for the help. I am SUPER happy with Carrara 8.5 Pro. It is a considerable leap forward from 7.2 Pro.