Legacy UVs for Genesis 9 [Commercial]

Comments

• lipluck81lipluck81 Posts: 30
    edited May 2023

How can you use this product to use Michael 8.1 textures on Genesis 9?  The tutorial is too complicated.

Here's what I did, but it doesn't work:

1. I selected Michael 9 HD in the scene.
    2. Then I click and run the script: G9 Legacy UVs - 1. Prepare Genesis 9 (It adds geocraft and pre-selects a bunch of items, so far so good.)
    3. I then apply Michael 8.1 All Maps HD, from content browser, and I it applies to everything that's pre-selected.
    4. Then with everything still pre-selected, I run G9 Legacy UVs - 3. Apply Genesis 8.1 Male UVs

This is what it looks like, but it looks wrong:

(edit: image removed. Please review this thread for how to present images involving nudity.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279/acceptable-ways-of-handling-nudity#latest )

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,134

lipluck81 said:

How can you use this product to use Michael 8.1 textures on Genesis 9?  The tutorial is too complicated.

Here's what I did, but it doesn't work:

1. I selected Michael 9 HD in the scene.
    2. Then I click and run the script: G9 Legacy UVs - 1. Prepare Genesis 9 (It adds geocraft and pre-selects a bunch of items, so far so good.)
    3. I then apply Michael 8.1 All Maps HD, from content browser, and I it applies to everything that's pre-selected.
    4. Then with everything still pre-selected, I run G9 Legacy UVs - 3. Apply Genesis 8.1 Male UVs

This is what it looks like, but it looks wrong:

(edit: image removed. Please review this thread for how to present images involving nudity.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279/acceptable-ways-of-handling-nudity#latest )

Hello, sorry for the delay in responding.

I cannot see the image because it has been removed.  But my guess is that you have applied the Hierarchical Material preset for Michael 8.1 and so the complete textures will not have loaded correctly onto Genesis 9.  You need to save the textures as ordinary Material presets. First load the Hierarchical preset onto Genesis 8.1, then save three sets of Material presets, one for the main mesh, one for the lashes and one for the tear (File > Save As > Material(s) Preset...).  These presets are the ones you should load onto Genesis 9.

edited May 2023

Legacy UVs for Genesis 9: Classic Edition - Victoria 4 will be released shortly.  This will include new geografts and an eye attachment to accommodate the older generation surfaces.  As with previous Generation 4 UV sets, the Victoria 4 material presets will have to be in .duf format to work on Genesis 9, so you may need to convert the old native .pz2 or .ds MATs to .duf.  This can be done easily by loading the MATs onto Victoria 4 and then saving them as .duf files (File > Save As > Material(s) Preset...).

Any issues or questions, let me know.

Edited:  12 May 2023

Released today: Legacy UVs for Genesis 9: Classic Edition - Victoria 4
    https://www.daz3d.com/legacy-uvs-for-genesis-9-classic-edition--victoria-4

popup_03.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 197K
    Post edited by Cayman Studios on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861
    edited May 2023

Thanks for making it. Now to find some good V4 materials in my huge library.

Below is an example render of G9 with materials from RMTHLil for V4

RMTHLil01pic18.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 170K
    Post edited by Artini on

Artini said:

Thanks for making it. Now to find some good V4 materials in my huge library.

Below is an example render of G9 with materials from RMTHLil for V4

Appreciated, Artini.  One difficulty with Generation 4 is they render using 3Delight.  When I did my promos I realised I'd forgotten how to do that.  Good to see that there are a few who still dabble in the old arts!  Nice picture. 

Thanks, @Cayman Studios

Is it possible to apply different materials to the same scene

after I have added some other items, like clothes or hairs?

I have tried to apply the first script to G9 again, to get a proper selections

and then applied V4 materials. After that there were some grey areas

under middle of the figure (where the bikini are placed and above and under)

The question is: how to reapply again V4 materials when the initial selection on G9 is gone?

Artini said:

Thanks, @Cayman Studios

Is it possible to apply different materials to the same scene

after I have added some other items, like clothes or hairs?

I have tried to apply the first script to G9 again, to get a proper selections

and then applied V4 materials. After that there were some grey areas

under middle of the figure (where the bikini are placed and above and under)

The question is: how to reapply again V4 materials when the initial selection on G9 is gone?

The script makes sure that the geografts and all the other parts, like eyes and mouth, are selected.  If you click in the scene anywhere after that before loading new textures and applying the UVs, these may be deselected - this is how Daz Studio works.  But you can always either run the Preparation script again, or manually reselect Genesis 9, the geografts and the other attachments yourself. (Don't forget to also select the Sclera attachment for the Eyes if you are selecting manually.) 

edited May 2023

Ok, thanks for the explanation.
    Below is V4 Elite Texture Amy - https://www.daz3d.com/v4-elite-texture-amy
    on Victoria 9 shape.
    Even after almost 15 years since my purchase, these textures still deliver nice results.

G9AmyV4sc03pic07.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 391K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited May 2023

... and full body image.

G9AmyV4sc03pic06v.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 355K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited May 2023

One more render with https://www.daz3d.com/v4-elite-texture-amy on Victoria 9 shape

G9AmyV4sc04sim01pic04ed01.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 472K
    Post edited by Artini on

Good stuff!

edited May 2023

Thanks again. Great product and brings my attentions to the older V4 characters to explore them again.

I do not want to capture your thread, so I post my further findings in:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/612576/artini-s-experiments#latest

Post edited by Artini on
  • RandWulfRandWulf Posts: 143

When I follow all the steps to use Exnem's Skin Type 3 (or 6 for that matter) for Genesis 8.1 female -- the Genesis 9 figure ends up with a patch of pubic hair on the chin and/or middle of the throat.  This happens wither or not I use the Base skin with or without pubic hair, and whether I try the G8 or the G8.1 version. I also has the nipples above the eyebrows.  What is up with that?  Is it using the same material map for the body and the face?

When I follow all the steps to use Exnem's Skin Type 3 (or 6 for that matter) for Genesis 8.1 female -- the Genesis 9 figure ends up with a patch of pubic hair on the chin and/or middle of the throat.  This happens wither or not I use the Base skin with or without pubic hair, and whether I try the G8 or the G8.1 version. I also has the nipples above the eyebrows.  What is up with that?  Is it using the same material map for the body and the face?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,569

That is because of the UVmapping. Even though Exnems product says 8.1, it uses the G8 UVmapping, so you will need to take that into account when using the legacy UV product.

Thanks.  Even if I do it with the Gen 8 UV's, same problem occurs, so I just go into the surface tab and change it from the body to the face.  A little cumbersome but it works.  Thanks for taking the time to reply.

• It sounds more likely to be an issue with the surface groups, since 8.1 splits a single grpup in 8 into two - if teh body map is gettign applied to the head you might have that result (though the face maps are the same in both, but it may be that the script is confused by soem aspect of the reorganisation)..

• Merged the separate thread into this one.

• RandWulf - yes, as Michael and Richard have pointed out the UVs for the Exnem product are actually Genesis 8 Female, though the Surfaces are Genesis 8.1 Female.  I have had a look at this, and if you manually apply 8.1 UVs to the skin on Genesis 8.1 Female itself you will get the same result.

The solution is to run the "Apply 8.1 UVs" script first to ensure the Face texture is applied correctly (which you did), and then to run the "Apply 8 UVs" script afterwards to correct the Head UVs.  Jay Versluis had a related problem which was addressed earlier in the thread.

Thank you!

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,348
    edited September 2023

I did originally send this in as a support ticket, but you asked me to post it here, so here it is:

The grafting edge has been split by adding two vertices to it that don't match up to those on the base figure. As such, that vertex won't graft and while it seems to be weighted in a way that stops it ever opening up noticeably, it effectively creates a razor thin cut in the model that messes up subdivision and vertex/face normals around it.

I absolutely get the need for spliting these faces to create the different surface zones, but the grafting edge should remain unmodified, so the cuts either needed to use the existing vertices on that edge or the actual graft edge needed to be shifted a row lower so that this point could be blended in (rather than trying to treat the quad below as a 5-gon that it isn't).

This issue itself isn't the biggest problem in the world (it's visible in Iray renders, but easy to paint out in post), but I needed to know whether it would or wouldn't get fixed because, as far as I can see, any fix would mean geometry changes that would mess with what I was doing.

~~~~~

As far as what I was trying to do, I was looking at trying to create a script that could be given a list of face IDs to reassign to new surface names, so that the surfaces were split in a way that Map Transfer could be used to permanently bake textures over (I assume, anyway - Map Transfer does show face zones for connected geografts, although I admit I've not yet tested that trying to transfer on a grafted figure this doesn't have some really weird problem - I got derailed by the above).

It means I'd need to sort out part of the Arm UVs (I assume the default layout I'm seeing on the graft is from a development version of G9 when they were trying to do symmetrical arm UVs but then found that caused problems with normal maps?) but if I could make it work it seemed like a way the graft could be used to fully convert older characters to G9 and thus not need the graft long term (providing full compatibility with HD morphs, other geografts, geoshells, etc).

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • Thanks, Matt.  I'll need a bit of time to look at this.

edited September 2023

OK Matt, I have submitted a correction to the two main Genesis 9 Legacy products by adding 8 facets to the geograft which seal the affected edges.  Although it is barely noticeable I should really have picked up on it, so apologies.  I shall update this post when the Updates go live. EDIT (September 11): Updates are now live.

Your project looks quite ambitious, and I wish you luck.  A script to change the facet surface assignations seems to me like the Holy Grail, and would make all manner of tasks so much easier.  And you're right, the Arms UVs were changed at the last minute prior to the Genesis 9 release, though it didn't directly affect what I was doing.

Post edited by Cayman Studios on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,162

I got an update in DIM today. When I reopened an existing scene after installing the update, the geografts were just big gray boxes. I had to delete the geografts and load new ones and reapply the materials and UVs.

edited September 2023

So better not to update, or are there any other fixes in the latest update?

Post edited by Artini on
  • Barbult, Artini - the update contains only the geograft correction described above.  It is a very minor flaw in the old geograft, but a flaw nevertheless, so I felt I had to update it.  Loading a new geograft in an existing scene will not affect the pose or position of a figure, so it should be a relatively painless matter, but I apologise for any inconvenience.

• barbult said:

I got an update in DIM today. When I reopened an existing scene after installing the update, the geografts were just big gray boxes. I had to delete the geografts and load new ones and reapply the materials and UVs.

I had exactly the same thing happen, and even worse, after deleting the geografts and starting from scratch and applying G8.1 materials, they are no longer correct. The lower abdomen texture repeats on the neck. How do I roll back to the previous version from yesterday? It worked fine, so far as I could tell. 

• Suggestion: if you cannot fix this some more clever way, I'd suggest you ship both the old and new versions of the grafts, and just have the DSH in the content library refer to the new one, with 'v2' or something added to the filename. That way, any previously saved figures will load correctly. As for the neck coming up wrong - that's not related. The original materials got messed up somehow - apologies.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,162

I don't think offering and supporting two versions is the way to go. We will soon get over this hurdle and it will be fine. Redoing the geografts on an old scene is no harder than applying them the first time - click, click, click done. The bigger stumbling block for me was initially figuring out what happened to my scene to get those big gray boxes. Once I figured it out, it was not hard to fix. That is why I posted here, as kind of a heads up to other people who might open a previous scene and see the same thing.

• barbult said:

I don't think offering and supporting two versions is the way to go. We will soon get over this hurdle and it will be fine. Redoing the geografts on an old scene is no harder than applying them the first time - click, click, click done. The bigger stumbling block for me was initially figuring out what happened to my scene to get those big gray boxes. Once I figured it out, it was not hard to fix. That is why I posted here, as kind of a heads up to other people who might open a previous scene and see the same thing.

Yeah, you are probably right. This initially appeared to be a bigger problem for me as I had screwed up some materials without realising - the body was a G3F LIE tattoo with an underlying G8.1F texture (baked together into a material set) - and I had not noticed until messing about with the new graft version that the neck and head were all wrong. Once converted to G8.1F it worked just fine with the new version of the graft. And of course, when you notice something you assume it's related to the gray box issue, but it wasn't... oops.