This hair isn't round

Does anyone know why Carrara rend3rs hair flat and not round? I've got my settings at max quality for rendering.

Hair.jpg
1024 x 768 - 95K

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,798

you could try using @Philemo plugin to convert hair to polygons .... then fill the tops to cap off and smooth yes

the hair on it's own I don't think will give a rounded look in closeup... not that I know of. sad

• cobuspcobusp Posts: 302

Thanks Stezza. It doesn't look like that plugin is available anymore.

• it's a straw in Octane, round with an open end

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

cobusp said:

Philemo's free plugin to convert hair to mesh is available here.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/carrara-time-savers/files/

hair converter plugin.jpg
    1089 x 793 - 119K

WendyLuvsCatz said:

it's a straw in Octane, round with an open end

Are you using Octane with Carrara?

Diomede said:

cobusp said:

Thanks I'll go check it out!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810
    edited November 2022

cobusp said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

it's a straw in Octane, round with an open end

Are you using Octane with Carrara?

sometimes

I have Or4C not the latest

ironically now I have a 2080TI and could do bigger scenes I have been actually using Carrara native on my other Win7 PC more

(been using DAZ studio iray on the Win10 one, it can plod away as it's slow as shit anyway, Carrara native is waaay faster than iray and no noise) 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

cobusp said:

Diomede said:

cobusp said:

Thanks I'll go check it out!

It's really awesome how it works. Check out PhilW's store - look at the hair products for newer figures. A lot of those (all?) were made using that plugin.

Note: If at first you got wonky results or you're just not happy, try again with different settings in the plugin. It can also be beneficial to try it with various differences in the Carrara Dyno Hair Shader settings and other attributes, like Density, Max Strands, etc., 

Because you now have better control over thickness of the individual strand you can try it using less hairs vs more hairs, etc.,

Turns out some really nice mesh!

OK, so I downloaded and copied the plugin into Carrara's plugins folder, but I cannot see it featuring anywhere in Carrara?

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,686
    edited December 2022

Under Edit - Philemo

Philemo Hair 1.png
    2808 x 1040 - 954K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219

You know, until this thread I had no idea that the dyno hair isn't round! LOL

I do know that it can be incredibly easy to get really wonky results! 

Fabulous how it works though. I really wish I had the know-how to push Rosie's Carrara hair into something I could continue using. The dForce hair I'm using now is amazing. But Carrara hair had a more magical movement to it. More flowy. It's nice to not have that - it really is. Trying to do a 'standing still' animation with Rosie 5 and her Carrara hair was simply impossible. 

After I started using dForce hair, I continued trying many things with the Carrara hair. It simulated great and was really fun to work with, but then rendering always presented highly unexpected wonkies to the point where I finally just gave up and stuck with the dForce.

Of course, I think All of these headaches come from her hair having to be the way it is. More normal hair works great, and I'll still be using that for other folks and things, I'm sure.