IRay: Looking for Ways to improve my Rendering Times

I have been around 3D modeling/animating long enough to know that are tricks/tips to improve the Render Times that the Program uses. So I’m hoping someone can explain them for Daz Studio 4.8 Pro with Iray in plain English. At this time I can’t afford to upgrade my video card. Also I’m not that familiar with Daz Studio’s Menu Layers (I.E.  Edit>Figure>Zero>Zero Figure).

Thanks

Comments

• I have been using Daz Studio, since the begining and I am finding the render times extremely slow also. I am also concerned about the quality of render.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,936

Sickleyield has some suggestions on her DA blog inc this link http://buerobewegt.com/quicktip-rendering-even-faster-in-iray/

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

Unless you have an NVidia video card w/ CUDA cores, Iray will render with the CPU. Times will then be approximately the same as Reality (slow for anything decent).

If you have a decent Nvidia card, Iray renders are much much faster than a 3Delight version fo the same scene..

Here are a few Iray tricks. Set the convergence (render settings) to 90 or 95%. Renders will often look good at much lower values.

Set max samples to 5000 or less. Leave Render Quality at 1.

Set the time limit to 7200 (seconds).

Iray renders faster with more light and surfaces to stop the light from going for infinity.

Don't use mesh lights. Use the built in Spotlights. Change the area to something like 100x100 (cm) or bigger to get a softbox effect. Change the Light Geometry to disk or rectangle.

Remember that Iray is meant to model real light. A photography background or basic text is an advantage.

There are more.

• Turk_WLFTurk_WLF Posts: 177

I have the Nvidia GeForce GTX 670.

• KurzonDaxKurzonDax Posts: 228

The 670 only has 2GB of video RAM.  If you are using it to run your display(s) and for rendering, anything beyond a very basic scene is going to be too big to fit in 2GB and force Iray to use CPU-only mode.  You can use an app like GPU-Z (google it) to monitor your video RAM usage.