Hallelujah! Finally Got a DSON Core File to Load In Carrara

I had no luck for a long time to get any DS files to laod in Carrara - Duf, DSON, whatever.  It would act like it loaded but nothing was visible.  Somebody (WendyLuvsCats?) suggested I needed Daz Studio loaded, which I now have to render another product that really needed Iray.  Anyway, I loaded "SW French Quarter - Chrizzlers Corner" into Carrara.  I was planning to render backgrounds in DS for use in a Carrara project, but this will be much easier.

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Woohoo!  I think this will add a big potential pool of additional assets for your animations.  Congrats.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,794

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,189

Diomede said:

Woohoo!  I think this will add a big potential pool of additional assets for your animations.  Congrats.

Thanks.  I'm still a little leery of DSON products, having had problems with some even in DS.  So Poser format for Carrara is still my preference ... still many new ones at some sites.  But some DSON products are worth a try.

• glad it works and understand the hesitancy as even with DAZ studio metadata not everything does

WendyLuvsCatz said:

glad it works and understand the hesitancy as even with DAZ studio metadata not everything does

Thanks.  Yes, I've only tried a handful of DSON products in DS over the last several months, one did not work. This is the first time I've tried DSON import to Carrara in a very long time, having given up long ago.  I dunno why I tried it, but I'm glad I did.

I don't remember the last time a Poser format product did not work in Carrara, and I've use hundreds, maybe thousands.

BTW, I said above that you (or somebody) suggested that to get a DSON file to import to Carrara, I needed DS "loaded".  I meant to say "installed".  When the file worked in Carara, DS was not running, but was installed, which was not the case in my earlier DSON import attempts that failed in Carrara.  (I'm saying DSON, but I'm not sure the difference between that and DUF).

• yes installing D|S sets up content manager and the metadata, you only need open D|S once 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

yes installing D|S sets up content manager and the metadata, you only need open D|S once 

Wow.  That's a first for me.  But many thanks.

Another DS product I could not resist, loaded into Carrara, only the lifeboat animations don't work.  There are some good stories in that ship (based on the doomed Andrea Doria).

Andrea At Sea.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 586K

And another success with a DS model into Carrara, the "Old West Mine" on sale @ 60% off.  So far I've only loaded it, but I'm surprised a bunch of cameras and light loaded.  Is that normal, I don't recall that happening with my earlier DS imporst. The lights look way too bright, but hopefully they are at least positioned where the vendor thoguht they should go.  With Poser imports, I have to do the cameras and lights from scratch.  

edited July 2023

Steve K said:

And another success with a DS model into Carrara, the "Old West Mine" on sale @ 60% off.  So far I've only loaded it, but I'm surprised a bunch of cameras and light loaded.  Is that normal, I don't recall that happening with my earlier DS imporst. The lights look way too bright, but hopefully they are at least positioned where the vendor thoguht they should go.  With Poser imports, I have to do the cameras and lights from scratch.  

Yes, if the creator of the content included lights and cameras with the product, then they are generally available in Carrara.  There may be exceptions, like 'ghost lights,' but most generic spotlights and similar should included if they were included in the set.  The same is also generally true of older Poser scenes, I believe.  If they are included in the saved scene file, then they should be available in Carrara in general.  In practice, most single props and figures do not include lights and cameras.  

A Poser scene file is in pz3 extension while a single figure is cr2 extension.  I just did a quick test of trying to save a simple Poser scene with an additional camera and an additional spotlight.  I loaded it in Carrara.  Not only did the additional camera and spotlight come through, all of the default lights and cameras came through as well.

EDIT:  I haven't opened Poser in who knows how long except when I was trying to get my copy of VWD working for Carrara.  Have completely forgotten almost everything.  Haha.  Had not even added my Runtime library folders since my reinstall.  Trying to do so now.  surprise

Post edited by Diomede on

So I tried playing around with Poser.  It is getting hung up when I try to conform a shirt to a figure.  I am using the Poser 7 'Simon' figure which has the same basic rigging as V4.  I load Poser 7 Simon directly in Carrara all the time.  Not sure why I would have so much trouble in its native program.  But that is off topic and an issue for another day.

Diomede said:

Yes, if the creator of the content included lights and cameras with the product, then they are generally available in Carrara.  There may be exceptions, like 'ghost lights,' but most generic spotlights and similar should included if they were included in the set.  The same is also generally true of older Poser scenes, I believe.  If they are included in the saved scene file, then they should be available in Carrara in general.  In practice, most single props and figures do not include lights and cameras.  

A Poser scene file is in pz3 extension while a single figure is cr2 extension.  I just did a quick test of trying to save a simple Poser scene with an additional camera and an additional spotlight.  I loaded it in Carrara.  Not only did the additional camera and spotlight come through, all of the default lights and cameras came through as well.

EDIT:  I haven't opened Poser in who knows how long except when I was trying to get my copy of VWD working for Carrara.  Have completely forgotten almost everything.  Haha.  Had not even added my Runtime library folders since my reinstall.  Trying to do so now.  surprise

OK, thanks.  I only rarely import a pz3 file into Carrara, almost always props and figures, so don't get cameras or lights.  And yeah, if I do open Poser, it feels like its in Greek.  But it does make me happy about Carrara's ease of use.