Help with Build a Street - English Village in Carrara? Texture problem. :)

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
edited August 2015 in Carrara Discussion

http://www.daz3d.com/build-a-street-english-country-village

Hi, I bought this a while ago. It's listed as Daz studio only. My Ultimate aim is to use in Car 8.1

I thought I'd be able to use it as an obj and bring it into Carrara.

I've bought it into Carrara 8.5 (via smart content) and half the textures are missing or not properly uveed? 

I've tried exporting it from Daz studio as a collada file and then bringing it into Car 8.5.

I've tried exporting it from Car 8.5 as an OBJ and a collada file but even more of the textures are missing. I loctaed them and copied them to the same folder as the obj file but still no joy.

Any clues would be very welcome - I havnt tried exporting it as an obj from Studio as I am about to give up, so thought I would ask for help :)

I think my buying days at daz might soon be over....

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

Let's see if I remember this correctly...

Try exporting it from Studio as an object and make sure the option to export the material file (and if there is an option to gather the textures) is enabled. You will want the .mat file and the .obj file (and any gathered texture maps) all in one folder.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

the Bryce export option converting textures  often works for difficult obj exports

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Thanks evil et Wendy, appreciate your help. Will let you know ;) cheers! 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Will watch this space to see if you get it working.   I want this set, but don't use DS.

edited August 2015

The story so so far .....

Ah I tried the first method thanks Evil, and oddly when importing the resulting obj both car 8.5 and car 8.1 crashed , very weird.

There were a few mutually exclusive parameters (could only have one or t'other) so I need to go and test them.

The Bryce method (thanks Wendy) bought most of the textures in , but the street uvees are still screwed up and I had to fix two of the rooves and a wall or two, so its a pain in the rear and I havent sorted out the street yet as it appears to be a tiled texture that is not immediately obvious howto tile it.

The next step will be to export individual parts of the mesh (eg the streett) and see what happens.

Chohole, couldn't really recommend this as yet unless you happy mucking around and fixing uvees etc in the model room.

cheers :)

you do have Phil's excellent Carrara format English village Linton too I assume, the buildings export well as obj too Chohole, I have used them in iClone.

edited August 2015

Thanks Wendy, yes it's an excellent piece of kit .... I actually broke it out last night to grab the buildings :)

OT but have you all seen this ?

http://www.on1.com/products/effects9free/

looks very handy for post work

edited August 2015

you do have Phil's excellent Carrara format English village Linton too I assume, the buildings export well as obj too Chohole, I have used them in iClone.

Yes, I have that one, but there are villages and then there are villages, if you see what I mean.  Where we live the village don't tend to be so picturesque really, as they were originally industrial villages, built to accomodate those who worked in the mines or the Iron Works.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

My village was based on a real village which I have been to many times, it is Linton in North Yorkshire - if you do Google Streetview on it, it may look familiar!

If you took one of the cottages and duplicated it, you would sort of get the effect of a terraced row like the one you pictured?

Yes, it's a great village, and I have seen some like that.  The village where I live now is quite fascinating really as it has been "Tidied up" some what, but has a great history.  Our road used to have a row of stables opposite apparently, for the Barracks horses. THey are now torn down and new houses built, so our side of the road is circa 1830s and the other side is new build.   With the closure of all the mines the villages do look prettier than they did.  Penywern ponds, which used to be uses as a water supply for the old Merthyr Iron works are now fishing ponds.  We have Common land above us, going up towards the higher mountains, but still not going to be the sort of village that makes the picture postcards.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

looks like Oswaldtwistle ;-)

edited August 2015

Is a Village which used to be called Pant y Scallog, now shortened to just Pant.    http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/pantyscallog.htm        I live in a Village called Penywern  which is just a short  way away, but couldn't find any good photos

BTW Pant means Hollow (as in a dip in the ground), and Pant y Scallog is Hollow of thistles.

Never mind photos, I thnk we need a full 3D model of your village! A Welsh Village to complement my English one!

Well I must admit I would love to see one,  but it won't be coming from me. Modelling is just not my forte.  I am the sort who can try to model a simple box and get wonky sides.

That's a shame - in fact, that's Pants!

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    Chohole said:

Well I must admit I would love to see one,  but it won't be coming from me. Modelling is just not my forte.  I am the sort who can try to model a simple box and get wonky sides.

I am sum what simular, But I keep trying to see if I can improve.

edited August 2015

Of course it would be easier if I could do it it Bryce.  I use primitives as building blocks there.

You could always build it using primitives in Carrara - maybe one brick at a time...

I am glad I never considered buying that build a street given all the issues and seriously if Phil made a Pants scene I would buy it.