Teeth Shader Challenge

I find teeth to be the hardest part the shade properly. I've been trying for quite sometime but I thought maybe it would be fun to see others' attempts, and perhaps we can all learn something and have the perfect teeth we've always wanted :D

Here's an image reference I've been trying to recreate:

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Which renderer do you want?  3DL or Iray?  or both?

• I'm stuck on 3DL until I get a better machine. mac mini struggles with the iray! But feel free to provide whatever you use. The goal is to help us all have pretty teeth :D

Well...in that case, I guess I can go ahead with the item I've been playing with...probably won't be that soon, but I've been working on a true custom shader (as in a compiled, through ShaderBuilder shader...not a preset).

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

They don't look real.

vex3d said:

I find teeth to be the hardest part the shade properly. I've been trying for quite sometime but I thought maybe it would be fun to see others' attempts, and perhaps we can all learn something and have the perfect teeth we've always wanted :D

Here's an image reference I've been trying to recreate:

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Yes, teeth are hard. That reference photo is a bit odd, though. Perfectly rounded molars? Pretty expensive set of chops there.

To make it look real, you need a top coat surface (Iray provides that out of the box), but there's also variation in the teeth geometry, non-linear variation in color along the length of the tooth, and small things like a line of saliva around the gums. Plus, for most people, the teeth to the sides and back are less white than the front, so a "one shade for all teeth" solution isn't very realistic. Only some of these can be done in a shader alone. You need a good texture, some morphs, and maybe a prop to serve as geometry for a watery spittle.

The spit prop isn't really needed for most shots...you aren't going to really have that much detail.  But, yes, for close ups it will probably be needed.

The same goes for the color variations...

Now most of those can be taken care of by using an image for the diffuse as opposed to a plain color.

The hard part is the variability of the teeth...but Zev0's morphs do help a lot with those.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,216
    mjc1016 said:
    Now most of those can be taken care of by using an image for the diffuse as opposed to a plain color.

The hard part is the variability of the teeth...but Zev0's morphs do help a lot with those.

So there are suggested teeth textures to try...?

I first noticed the teeth problem earlier this summer, when I tried a test render of one of the Genesis figures. As you can hopefully see, the chalky "cold white" color that comes out with 3DL isn't all that great. The "illuminated nostrils" and "interior of the mouth" isn't so hot, either... (just sayin')

genesis2-teeth-no-sparkle.jpg
    1024 x 870 - 98K
    Roman_K2 said:

. The "illuminated nostrils" and "interior of the mouth" isn't so hot, either... (just sayin')

It's an easy fix...and why, anyone would think it's needed, in the first place is beyond me...but just turn off the SSS for the mouth and nostrils.  Depending on the shader used (UberSurface or AoA) velvet may be on, too...if it is, kill it.