DAZ Studio Feature Request: Separate Weight map per rigidity group

AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 792
edited December 2022 in Product Suggestions

Right now, there is a single rigidity weight map. The docs say there's no reason to have a vertex in multiple rigidity groups. Well, I can think of multiple uses. It would make anything where you don't want it to distort, but would like to have different parts scale based on the area of the body it is on. This would make high heel shoes easier to do. I've noticed that the first set of shoes I've bought for G9 actually does use rigidity maps, but they completely removed the maps for the toes including the bones likely because it would not work nicely with both the toes bone and rigidity map at the same time as I'm finding out now. Another example would be certain types of body armour could benefit.

For normalization, we'd need a way to also create a non-rigid group.

Not sure if anyone from DAZ3D will ever read this. Is there somewhere we can make feature requests directly? There's nothing in the help requests. I could just add in a support ticket, but wondering if there's an accepted way.

Out of curiosity, anyone know what happens when a vertex is included in multiple rigidity groups? My guess it will just use the first one it finds. I haven't tried this yet.

edit: Actually, the main rigidity map could be used as it is now, but be global between rigid and non-rigid. It would be backwards compatible with what's there now. But you can also add weight maps per rigidity groups and these will simply be scaled by the primary map. It'll also allow for easy normalization of the separate maps.

Post edited by AlienRenders on

Comments

• High heels usually have rigid soles, so that would be why there were no weight maps for the toes. Rigidity is solely concerned with morph projection, it has nothing to do with joint bending.

• AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 792
    edited December 2022

Never said it had anything to do with joint bending. But toes can scale differently and at a different angle than the rest of the foot as well as the shins. This is where it would be useful. Not the bending, but the scaling.

Oh, and I tried having vertices in multiple rigidity groups. It seems to apply the average of all the rigidity groups that the vertices are in. But as mentioned, there's only one normal map, so it is scaled the same in each group. So it looks like the code is already set up to handle multiple maps if they existed (or at least goes through each rigidity group).

Post edited by AlienRenders on