Some Carrara Hairstyles For the Community

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,811

Jonstark said:

Stezza said:

it's all blank! surprise

Whoops, I think I made a bit of a mistake.  Just went and did a test download/install to see, and while all the eyebrow sets are working fine, all of the eyelash sets are loading with 'visibility' unchecked.  They are still there and working, just appear invisible by default.  I'll see if I can't fix the file and re-zip.   Hopefully that's what you were running into? 

nope... I mean all your posts here are blank of images wink 

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Stezza said:

Jonstark said:

Stezza said:

it's all blank! surprise

Whoops, I think I made a bit of a mistake.  Just went and did a test download/install to see, and while all the eyebrow sets are working fine, all of the eyelash sets are loading with 'visibility' unchecked.  They are still there and working, just appear invisible by default.  I'll see if I can't fix the file and re-zip.   Hopefully that's what you were running into? 

nope... I mean all your posts here are blank of images wink 

Forums have been sluggish and on the fritz all day today, UB mentioned he wasn't able to post pics earlier, and I can confirm it took me forever for the forum to finally start accepting my pic uploads.  I finally finish the whole eyebrows post after much waiting and it looked ok, but then when you mentioned it was all blank I reloaded my browser and see they're all "Sir not-appearing in this picture".  Well, except for the eyelash pics, looks like that post came through ok.  I'll give it a little time and try to fix, but even just trying to click reply seemed to cause the forum software to lock up for 5+ minutes before I could even type.  And who knows how long it may be before my actual reply becomes visible.  :) 

Of course the moment I start cussing at the forum software and blaming it all on daz, the forum tools suddenly come back to working normally and uploading quickly.  I think I've got it fixed now, hopefully this time it sticks  :) 

Jonstark said:

Of course the moment I start cussing at the forum software and blaming it all on daz, the forum tools suddenly come back to working normally and uploading quickly.  I think I've got it fixed now, hopefully this time it sticks  :) 

yes good job... all showing now smiley 

edited December 2022

I'm musing that it might be of some use to show some of the reference pics/hair products that sparked my attempt to emulate similar hairstyles in Carrara.  When I started in on getting serious with hair modeling, one of my main ideas was that I was sick an tired of using the old style prop hairs in my rendering.  Carrara hair renders faster and looks better imo, and so I wanted to similar style options using Carrara hair instead.  This is not to denigrate some of the old style prop hairs, which have been very solid and dependable performers for me in the past.  But the older ones had very dated textures, and some of the newer ones had such high poly counts they would drag down performance in my assembly room window.  So I wanted to make a ready-to-use library of all of my favorite styles.  

I don't claim to be an expert yet, but I'm learning more as I go, and as I learn more I'll probably go back and refine/correct some of these.

I didn't use reference pics for a lot of my hairstyles, but for some of the ones I did use, here's some side-by-sides to give an idea of how far off the mark I was with the final product.  :)

Bousie hair, which I don't own myself but spotted over at Rendo, made me think 'hmm, I could do something like that'.  In the end I don't know what Bousie refers to (sounds vaguely french) but Boise, Idaho is a city not to far away and I know I've seen girls wearing hairstyles similar to what I came up with, so I called my rendition Boise hair.  :)   

Champagne hair is an obvious riff on Martini hair (also at Rendo), one of the first hairstyles I ever bought.  It's interesting because Martini hair is in no way realistic (what the heck is going on with the bun portion?) but it works really well, and I wanted to have a classic updo style. 

Achilles hair is Ihopefully obvious) a riff on the 2000's movie Troy, which has one of the greatest sword fights ever put to film.  It's got to be in discussion to be at least top 5, I think.  

Rai hair was initially a takeoff on the style seen in Leandro hair (again at Rendo), but I fell so far from the mark that I think it looks more like Ryo hair n the end, though not that either and it sort of became it's own thing.

Fury hair, as mentioned, is a riff on the style the tank commander wore in the movie Fury.  I also have  Nick hair and took a look at it, but that was less of an influence, though it is a similar style.

Ky hair was inspired by the style of Kybele hair.  In fact there were things about Kybele hair I didn't like, such as the too-long back, but since I've seen this style worn by women in real life, I did it similarly,though I did shorten the back a bit.  I then made a short version of Ky hair more to my liking (to be released soon in the coming days; don't know if I should rename it something different or not, because it started as Ky hair but it's actually styled and cut a bit differently, not sure.  Maybe easiest to just call it 'Ky short hair'...  It is it's own thing, but also comes from the same roots...)

Anais hair is interesting; I wasn't using a reference pic per se but a mental memory of a render I had seen a long time ago.  I went hunting through the DAZ store and found it was attached to a character name Anais, and I have no idea what prop hairstyle was used in the promo.  Also my mental image was a bit off from what is pictured in the render promo, but still you can see it's not totally far off either.  I've seen lots of women with this style of 'straight down the sides, parted in the middle' type cuts.  It's not a bold or brassy style, but it's got a certain elegance and feminity to it.  I don't know how well it would work on a male character, but hmmm maybe it would be interesting.

Full83816.jpg
    800 x 650 - 459K
    Ryo hair.png
    350 x 378 - 221K
    Full63268.jpg
    800 x 800 - 257K
    Kybele.png
    500 x 650 - 595K
    b2c725053bb5aeed4ce5e514359eaec7.jpg
    736 x 887 - 103K
    anais-large.jpg
    500 x 650 - 104K
    5fad63c2c1d7121e9e995ba1e1c67e3f.jpg
    706 x 529 - 63K
    Nick.png
    278 x 300 - 103K
    Post edited by Jonstark on
    edited December 2022

Oh and since I just mentioned it, here's the next up, Anais hair:

https://sharecg.com/v/99777/view/5/3D-Model/Anais-Hair

A straight-down-the-sides, split-in-the-middle, loose and casual long hairstyle.

Full91684.jpg
    800 x 800 - 450K
    Anais 4.png
    800 x 1067 - 591K
    Anais 1.png
    800 x 1067 - 744K
    Anais 2.png
    800 x 1067 - 772K
    Anais 5.png
    800 x 1067 - 725K
    Anais 6.png
    800 x 1067 - 635K
    Anais 7.png
    800 x 1067 - 757K
    Anais 8.png
    800 x 1067 - 719K
    Anais 9.png
    800 x 1067 - 664K
    Anais 3.png
    800 x 1067 - 772K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,728

Awesome !!!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,226

Jonstark said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

all hairs are notorious for throwing up an error has occurred in my experience or reloading a cube as it has vanished somehow in the saved scene

both mine and others

I can have that happen one random time using the same scene many times

I just keep the last save that worked as a backup as well as the one I am working on

Oh yes, definitely I've seen that.  Actually one of my render scenes that I have saved right now, which is with 2 genesis figures (one male and one female) each with hairs already attached, every single time I open it I get 2 of those error messages, and I fully expect to open it and see cubes instead of hairstyles, yet for some reason it opens perfectly and nothing is missing.  Strange, but I'll take it.  :) 

Same here! ;)

Bunyip02 said:

Jonstark said:

Ah shoot, sorry to hear about the errors, glad it's working ok at the moment (nice render).

As you guys probably noticed, most of these hairstyles are actually 2 different hairs attached to the invisible mesh object; the main hair and then a 'flyaway hairs' hair which only has 100 - 300 hairs, which are offset a bit more so as to break up the monotony/smoothness of the original hair and give it depth.  (pretty sure I ripped that idea off from something Philw once said).

One solution for stability is simply to pull the actual carrara hair off of the mesh object and save it separately as its own object to the browser.  Then if there's a problem where the hair doesn't appear and a cube does instead, well you can always grab the separate hair from your browser, drag it onto the actor of the invisible mesh object, and you're back in business no problem, and there's way less chance of a hair failure (actually it's always worked for me).  Doesn't mean that when you save and re open the scene the hair might 'cube' out again though, sadly.  This is one of the reasons I'm going to go back to using Win 7 pro or Win 8 pro instead of my current Win 10, because I never had hair problems on those prior Win versions...

Thanks !!!

Yesterday I had half a dozen "An Error has Occurred" messages when trying different hair styles - the scene was unworkable after each message.

Don't know what was causing it but they are working okay today !

Sometime when I'm having a rough day like that, I'll close everything and restart my computer. I also like to try it one a new (different) scene with a new character load.

Jonstark,

Thanks so much! These are real gems!!!

edited December 2022

Thanks guys!  :)

Next up is the unimaginatively-named Flat Top Fade Longer Hair (because of course there's a shorter flat top fade yet to come).

https://sharecg.com/v/99783/view/5/3D-Model/Flat-Top-Fade-Longer-Hair

Flat Top Fade Longer 4.png
    800 x 1067 - 732K
    Flat Top Fade Longer 1.png
    800 x 1067 - 607K
    Flat Top Fade Longer 2.png
    800 x 1067 - 688K
    Flat Top Fade Longer 5.png
    800 x 1067 - 710K
    Flat Top Fade Longer 6.png
    800 x 1067 - 703K
    Flat Top Fade Longer 7.png
    800 x 1067 - 598K
    Flat Top Fade Longer 8.png
    800 x 1067 - 710K
    Flat Top Fade Longer 9.png
    800 x 1067 - 417K
    Flat Top Fade Longer 10.png
    800 x 1067 - 417K
    edited December 2022

Well the Daz forums are doing their best 'bah humbug' impression today, refusing to upload any pics all day since late last night. 

I was getting fed up checking back to see if the problem was fixed (still isn't, as far as I can tell), but finally I wised up and realized I can just link to the pic addresses on sharecg.  The renders are a little smaller, but no big deal, so... on with the show... er, I mean hair :)  Next up, here's Scott hair:

https://sharecg.com/v/99785/view/5/3D-Model/Scott-Hair

A simple short hairstyle.  This one was an older hair that I made around the same time I did Achilles hair, At the time I regarded it as a failure and gave up on it, but taking a look at it with fresh eyes I thought maybe there's something there...  I took a little time to update it rather than tossing it out, and I think it came out well enough to be useful.  :)  

Merry Christmas Eve, my fellow Carrarists!  :)

Next up from me is Flirt Hair:

https://sharecg.com/v/99789/view/5/3D-Model/Flirt-Hair

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 2022

These are all so inspiring. Happy Christmas, Jonstark and thanks for the pressies!  I agree, the older character styles were so awkward, and the newer ones too mb hungry. So it's wonderful to be back with C-Hair with your imagninative styles.  I have not seen PhilW create any more in a long time, so thank you very much, and for giving them to us.

I made eyelashes and brows for my prehistoric characters, where I wanted thickness, not killer-lash length.  Yes, brushing the lashes was tricky as if I had an eye-half-closed pose (or looking down), and then opened the eyes wider for the next scene, the lashes would penetrate the eyelids!  Of course, density for brows and lashes was always a challenge to get the roots and tips right.

Also I made body hair for the prehistoric males, eg like homo Erectus, etc.  For a while I was having trouble with using various shades of black and gray. I would end up with a vivid midnight blue hue all over. It was a mystery for a long time, no matter if I changed the lighting or whatever. Never did get to the bottom of it. I always made different hair layers, not just add to a group. Every body zone had a fresh hair layer created just for it. 

Anyways... I am very happy you are working with hair again!  yesheartkiss  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on

My pleasure Silene, and Merry Christmas to you and everyone!  :)

I recall seeing forum threads where you mentioned working on eyelashes and brows.  Regarding the midnight blue issue you mentioned, may possibly have been the highlights acting up and being very visible on dark hairs?  Carrara dynamic hair is very reactive to light, especially when lowering the thickness in the shader room, and especially with specular effect.  I think it's probably worth opening a new thread focused solely on hair shader settings to see if we can nail down how to get the best effect.  All the hairs I'm putting up I try to include shaders, but I'm aware that I haven't fully mastered hair shaders yet, so it's just a placeholder, and I plan to devote some time to figuring out what works best and probably retro-fitting the shaders with a better version (once I've nailed down what a better version might be).

Next up is Afro Mohawk hair:

https://sharecg.com/v/99795/view/5/3D-Model/Afro-Mohawk-Hair

This one was just an easy trim of an Afro into a mohawk.  Not a common sight in real life, but I have seen it occasionally.  

Well, we're now officially past the 12 days of Christmas, but I still have hairstyles, so... maybe I can keep going through New Years?  Maybe beyond, depending on how much time I can find to put these up... either way, 2nd star to the right, and straight on til midnight!   And it's never a bad time to wish someone Merry Christmas, so Merry Christmas everyone!  :)

Next up, here's Sultry hair:

https://sharecg.com/v/99799/view/5/3D-Model/Sultry-Hair

A long straight hairstyle with straight bangs.  Some would say a variant of Samara hair, but I'm not one for labels.  Potato/potahto.  :)   I had to put in Diomede's Egyptian headress for one of the promo renders, just because this hairstyle is the closest I've come to that style of hair.  :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

Thank you again for all these Carrara hairs.  Wow, fantastic.  And appreciate you slipping the cobra headband in a render.  yes

Thanks Diomede, I just couldn't not use the Egyptian headdress, had to see how well it would work :)   I also took some time to learn how to rig a couple of bones in the headdress, which I had never done before.  Put in 3 different articulated bones for 2 sides and back for the gold hanging rings, excluding any influence on the top of the headdress, with the intention of being able to swing the sides out to rest outside of the hair.  Worked great by itself, but for some reason when I parented it to the Genesis1 head and posed Genesis, the bones were still there but didn't have any effect on the headdress anymore.  So not sure what I did wrong, I guess I have a lot more to learn in this area.  :)

This next one, I wasn't so sure of.  There's a problem with it, but I think it can be useful in most circumstances.  This is Loose Tied Back hair:

https://sharecg.com/v/99803/view/5/3D-Model/Loose-Tied-Back-Hair

It's a long hairstyle tied back into a loose ponytail which is low to the nape of the neck.  Which is why it's a problem, frankly.  Unlike the other long hairstyles where it's pretty simple to use the brush tool in the modeling room to adjust the lower tips of the hair whenever a pose is causing it to clip through the clothes/shoulders etc, the ponytails will just pull loose when you use the brush tool on them, and basically they will no longer be ponytails (unless you take the time to painstakingly pull all the hairs at the point of the ponytail holder position back into place, which is time intensive).  The other ponytails are high enough up that most real life poses of the Genesis won't cause much noticeable clipping of the ponytail itself into the shoulders, but since this one is set at the base of the neck, very low down, it really doesn't take much swiveling of the head/neck to cause clipping.  So I recommend only non-extreme poses for using this one :)  Still it has enough broad utility that I think it's worth putting out there for you guys if you're interested.

• Over-and-above the call efforts Jonstark!  Really appreciated.  I haven't had time to experiment yet.  Hopefully down the road.

I also appreciate the differentiated skin textures in the renders.  Not surprised, as I remember the discussion in this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/512081/why-it-s-so-hard-to-make-cgi-skin-look-real-vox/p1

yes

Thanks UB, I appreciate it.  Most of the promos are just V4 Amy Elite (even some of the male promos), others were V4 Marie Elite, V4 Rob Elite, and V4 Jeremy Elite.  For shapes I kept it simple and almost all of the females are simply Jessai/Silver's Delphinia (not be to confused with Rebelmommy's Delphinia, which I also have and also think is great).

Next up is Afro Braid hair:

https://sharecg.com/v/99804/view/5/3D-Model/Afro-Braid-Hair

Boy this one was tough.  About as tough as the ponytails, actually.  Took a couple of days, had to give up and start over a few times too, but in the end it taught me a lot, especially using the texture density tools, and I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

really awesome stuff this.. looks like you are really having fun experimenting yes

would you like to do a Wednesday hair?

Sure, I take requests  :)  No guarantee it will come out all that similar to the original target though.  What's Wednesday hair look like?

Oh wait, I just googled and I'm coming up with this:

If so, I have an idea to do a 'twin tail' hair at some point in the future, but I don't have a clue how to make those clean braids though.  Certainly if I could achieve it (and I'm not sure I could) it would be pretty much fixed/immobile because the moment you took a brush to it, it would fall right apart.  But I'm game to give it a whirl, after I finish the twin tails one I'll use that as a base to see what happens.

Truthfully the better way would be to get someone who's awesome at vertex modelling from cubes named Stezza to make the braids, then texture it to look like hair, and attach it to a twin tail hairstyle where the tails themselves were made invisible  :)

edited December 2022

Just by way of explanation why doing actual free-standing braids might be very difficult when I just barely posted the Afro Braid hair, is that it's not really braids on the Afro Braid hair at all.  Instead it's a bunch of fairly short guide hairs which are cross-hatched in lines and in rows.  So it sort of looks like a braid but it isn't really. 

For free-standing braids it would require 3 long guide hairs which are actually braideded intertwined with each other all the way along their length.  I think.   (I could be wrong).   So it would be a very different method.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,856
    edited December 2022

OMG I have tried braiding both Carrara and Zbrush hair to no avail

good luck heart

I have made vertex braids

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Jonstark said:

Next up is Afro Braid hair:

https://sharecg.com/v/99804/view/5/3D-Model/Afro-Braid-Hair

Boy this one was tough.  About as tough as the ponytails, actually.  Took a couple of days, had to give up and start over a few times too, but in the end it taught me a lot, especially using the texture density tools, and I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

You should be happy.  Impressive!

edited December 2022

Jonstark said:

Sure, I take requests  :)  No guarantee it will come out all that similar to the original target though.  What's Wednesday hair look like?

Oh wait, I just googled and I'm coming up with this:

If so, I have an idea to do a 'twin tail' hair at some point in the future, but I don't have a clue how to make those clean braids though.  Certainly if I could achieve it (and I'm not sure I could) it would be pretty much fixed/immobile because the moment you took a brush to it, it would fall right apart.  But I'm game to give it a whirl, after I finish the twin tails one I'll use that as a base to see what happens.

Truthfully the better way would be to get someone who's awesome at vertex modelling from cubes named Stezza to make the braids, then texture it to look like hair, and attach it to a twin tail hairstyle where the tails themselves were made invisible  :)

I did model a dodgy looking Wednesday hairdo and boned it .... laugh

partly from a cube and partly from springs cool

nowhere as good as your Carrara hair models though  ... heart

Wednesday dodgy hairdoo.png
    640 x 480 - 123K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,856
    edited December 2022

you can have my braid if it can be used

there is a thread somewhere where others helped me create the correct spiral

if I can upload the zip that is

maybe a txt to be renamed as .car

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on