Next steps

Keith-jonesKeith-jones Posts: 21

Hi

I made the attached and would like to package and sell it but as a relative newbie saved the texture files outside of the Daz Library.  This seems to cause two problems: 1) Opening it on another computer results in the links to the textures being broken. 2) The links to the built in Iray shaders stop working.

I believe that I could move the model into the content library together with the textures and retexture the model thus creating new paths.  This would mean that I would need to know the folder structure I should use and I'm not sure about this but I imagine I could reverse engineer from older downloaded content if things made before content manager still with the new version of DS.  Does anybody know if this idea will work and if so where I should save the objects and textures?

I am considering buying a dedicated graphics workstation and if I do is there an advantage to installing DS in the default location?

Retexturing the model might be easier in Carrara and if I followed this path I could export the whole model with textures as a Daz Colada.  I didn't do this originally as I wanted to use as many Iray default textures as possible as I thought it would improve compatability.  Would it be better to do all the rigging and texturing in Carrara and export in this manner when undertaking future projects.

Many thanks for any help you are able to provide.

Keith

Recently-Updated1.jpg
1024 x 576 - 569K
Post edited by Keith-jones on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

It's very easy to fix.

Move the textures to My Library (or whatever your 'top level' content folder is named) > Runtime > Textures > name > product name  and then when the missing texture box pops up, navigate to THAT folder.  That will load the textures from where they were supposed to be...then just resave the item (over top of itself).  That will update the file...

• Cool.  I'll give it a try:)

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    Does anybody know if this idea will work and if so where I should save the objects and textures?

When you say "objects", do you mean the item is originally an .obj mesh file imported into D|S then saved as a proper Support Asset? In that case, it's generally a good idea to include the .obj files (located in a folder in /Runtime/Geometries/) in your complete package as well as the converted-to-native-D|S Support Asset files in the /data/ folder. It's a safety feature in case the /data/ files are ever lost or corrupted; if everything's installed properly, then D|S knows how to find the .obj mesh file and recreate the converted object.

• Keith-jonesKeith-jones Posts: 21
    edited October 2015

Hi

After a few failed attempts to transfer anything to another machine I gave up on this project until I discovered that SimLab Composer works well as a bridge between Moi3d and other software including Daz Studio.  A collada file will import perfectly into Daz Studio except for the loss of pivot points.  

I have tried setting up new points of rotation using the joint editor tool and this works perfectly until the file is saved as a Daz Collada.  When this file is reopened the object explodes.  Its an interesting effect but not quite what I was looking for.

While experimenting I discovered my Caravan model still exists, trapped forever in Daz Studio.

I understand that Daz uses the above (complicated) file structure that separates out geometry and textures (and god knows that else) and I cant get it to work.  It would probably be asier if I could reinstall Daz Studio to its default settings but the content management system will not allow me to do a clean uninstall/reinstall.  I though that using the Collada option would work but the exploding (see picture) is a problem.  Is ist possible ot export Collada with pivot points in choosen places?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Keith

ps if anyone can recuscue the caravan they can have it!

Cabin.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 25K
    Bed.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 13K
    DazCollada.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 10K
    Post edited by Keith-jones on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

The Vardo (Caravan) looks very similar to the DAZ 3D one. http://www.daz3d.com/boundless-journey

• Hi Chohole

It is very similar.  The world is getting very populated with models so its hard to be truly original.  I used several reference pictures and the Daz Vardo may well have been included but I think the main picture I used was of a model posted on Deviant Art simply because it allowed a better understanding of the suspension structure.  

Keith