Heads up

2»

Comments

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,830
    edited January 2023

Good to know guys, thanks.

Post edited by NGartplay on

Argh, so I decided that the refurbished computer that I got was not very good for graphics so I took it back and bought online a gaming machine.  It only has 500 GB storage but I'm going to take the hard drive from my Windows 8.1 and put it into a slot.  Hopefully that will solve all my storage needs.  A lot more money but I'll have it a long time.  Excited.

The never ending computer saga continues.  I returned the refurbished 2 terabyte used computer (it was just ok) and ordered a new Lenovo with AMD Ryzen 5 and Radeon graphics card.  I was searching 1 terabyte machines and everything was sold out then I came across the Lenovo and purchased it.  I started moving my files to it then stopped to check how much storage was till available and found that I had almost filled up the computer because it only had 487 GB available for storage.  Wow, that's just my MyDocuments.

So, I have an appointment with GeekSquad to put my Windows 8.1 hard drive into the new computer as a separate drive.  I could do it myself but it voids the warranty on it if I do it.  I just want to run Bryce and Daz Studio and be able to access my files.  Hope it works.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,999

Congrats on your new computer. I hope adding a hard drive will work. I am addicted to Bryce, (I don’t use Daz), and it was a trying time for me almost 3 months without my Laptop. Although during the winter months I don’t spend much time on the computer due to arthritis, I still missed by daily dose. wink

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756

What a drama with your computer, NGartplay. Hope it works out well now.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,818

NGartplay said:

... and Radeon graphics card

well I am afraid that won't contribute anything to DAZ studio as iray is Nvidia only

Bryce should run OK on it though but may need a cooling pad 

edited January 2023

Wendy...what???   Ugh, really?   whimper....why can't I just buy a computer like I used to get :( :(    It's going to have to go back.  I'm so frustrated!!!!

It's not a laptop so it shouldn't need a cooling pad.  Off to look at computers again...sigh.

Post edited by NGartplay on

ah I misread I thought it was a laptop, a desktop is certainly a better choice

but yeah a Nvidia card for D|S is essential as they own iray

computer is already packed back in its box.

• huberthubert Posts: 410

NGartplay: Sorry to read about all these annoying problems!

What about a 100% fail-safe computer instead? One like this special "simplified" Laptop here:

Simplified Laptop

(Disclaimer: It was my Christmas gift to Woody in 2010. --- The Laptop mesh was a free model from "PlanIt3D". I tweaked it heavily to suit my purposes. I also added a fake brand name logo to make it appear highend and expensive. Woody was veeeeery happy then... at least for the first 5 seconds.)

Better luck with your next computer!

Hubert

LOLOL!  Love the bite out of the banana :)    I'm going to look at that highend brand...just what I need, thanks :)

Hubert, Less is certainly more here! Maybe delete the 'On' and 'Off' key too; all you need is CTRL-Alt-Del!

edited January 2023

NGartplay said:

LOLOL!  Love the bite out of the banana :)    I'm going to look at that highend brand...just what I need, thanks :)

Apple and DAZ iray also don't get along even with a Nvidia card

it's actually Apple and Nvidia who have the toxic relationship  

you really need to read some of the DAZ studio forum posts surprise

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Well, I just gave my first born for a new Digital Storm with 2TB HDD and 500 GB SSD and NVidia card.  No keyboard or mouse.  That was a surprise but I have extras of those around.  Windows 11

So, I FINALLY have a new computer for the 3rd time and I'm a bit disappointed.

I ordered, first, a refurbished computer.  It was ok but had a sad graphics card so I sent it back.

I then ordered a Lenovo which was awesome but it did not have Nvidia technology so I sent it back.  great computer.

I then saw online a Digital Storm and tried buying one of their premade ones but it didn't have the storage or video card that I wanted.  For an extra $700 I ordered one to my specs (not very high standards, lol), so it was quite expensive.  That was on January 16th.  After 4 weeks they moved me from stage 1 to stage 2 of 7 stages.  I'm like 'what?'  After 2 more weeks I call.  They said that they are in deep backorder.  I said that they didn't tell me that when I ordered it and I can't turn off the computer I'm using because it doesn't want to start up again. She moves me to stage 3 and said 7 more days it will ship.  After 7 more days it hadn't moved.  I found a Dell with 4 TB of SSD storage for $300 less than this Digital Storm with Nvidia and could receive it by 3/20.  I call DS and tell them that I'm going to cancel.  They begged and I stayed with them.  This has 500 GB of SSD and 2 TB HHD, not as good.

I called 1 more time and I had my computer in 4 days.  Sorry that I did.  So far it's working ok but the peripheral board is wonky and you have to cram you USB in sideway and pull to get the USBs in.  The power supply had two screws not in and floating around the bag it came in.  I was able to screw in one of them but the other looks to be stripped or too short.  There's one screw holding the motherboard in (I think, might be a case screw) that just turns.

I guess having them rushed it got  me a rush job.  I was pretty upset for the money I paid but it working fine so far. 

Btw, I thought that I'd ordered a GeForce 3060 ti but it's a GeForce 3050.  That's what's in the specs they sent after I ordered it.  strange.  I should have checked it.

NGartplay, sorry to hear of all your trouble with your computer suppliers. I work with an Asus (and my previous one was an Asus too) and am quite happy with it. I still think I might start gaming with it, or trying Unreal Engine, but don't have the time yet. So, Bryce it was and Bryce it will be for the future.

I sent pics of the sloppy peripheral panel and missing screw to them.  Hope to hear back.  I questioned her on the return policy and it would cost me $338 plus delivery to return it.  Wow.  I was taking a picture of the missing screw on the power supply and barely touched the power cord.  The computer turned off.  I touched it again and it turned back on.  Hasn't done it since.

Graphics are beautiful on my new monitor.  Always a shiny apple in there somewhere.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,999

Sorry to hear about your problems with the computer, NGartplay I use a very simple laptop, Dell, which was recently fixed and works well now. It suffice as I don't do long complicated renders.

Thanks mermaid.  I'm not a laptop kind of person.  I had two.  The first was an Asus and its battery never held a charge and they wouldn't send me a new one so I recycled it. I then bought a Toshiba and it was really nice...but...head down in shame...I accidentally recycled it....argh.  I couldn't believe what I'd done.  I thought it was an old one that my mother had...smacks head.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,101

NGartplay : sorry to hear about your computer problems, hope for a quick solution.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,122

NGartplay - ah, it looks like computers are not very friendly to you. I hope you will find soon one that you find usable and without quirks.

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918

NGartplay.....sorry to read about your trouble with your Computer...   hope that you can find a good one.

• huberthubert Posts: 410

NGartplay: Sorry to read about this seemingly never-ending trouble. I wish you good luck this/next time.

Hey guys, thanks.  I was just whining because I was so upset that it was not crafted well.  I'll probably keep it because it's running fine and the graphics are gorgeous but I want them to know about their quality control.