[Solved] New PC - DS not installing error ?

cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 435
edited December 2022 in Daz Studio Discussion

Win 10 Pro with default Windows Firewall.

New install on new system.

DIM latest version downloaded.

I set custom local install and content directories - see in the below log.

Message in DIM is: Download failed.

Log from DIM says.

+++++++++++++++ Install Manager 1.4.0.94 starting +++++++++++++++++
OS bits: 64Platform bits: 64
Qt Version: 4.8.7Locale: en_DE
Running on Windows 10, Build 9200, No Service Pack Installed
Physical Memory:
Total: 63.7 GB (68479950848)Virtual Memory:
Total: 127.9 TB (140737488224256)Avail: 127.9 TB (140732939948032)
Current Memory Usage: 9%
Current DateTime:Loc: Fri 16. Dec 15:42:31 2022
UTC: Fri 16. Dec 14:42:31 2022
Application Data:
Location = C:/Users/home/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/InstallManager
Disk Total: 465.1 GB (499426824192)
Disk Avail: 346.7 GB  (372270600192)
Reading dzInstall.ini
Cannot locate dzInstall.ini
Current Account: Account
Current Downloads Path:
Location = F:/daz/InstallManager/Downloads
Disk Total: 953.8 GB (1024207089664)
Disk Avail: 811.2 GB  (871025127424)
Current Content Install Path:
Location = F:/daz
Current 64-bit Software Install Path:
Location = C:/Program Files
Current 32-bit Software Install Path:
Location = C:/Program Files (x86)
Current Manifests Path:
Location = F:/daz/InstallManager/Manifests
Current Thumbnails Path:
Location = F:/daz/InstallManager/Thumbnails
Thumbnail Max Height: 182
Starting CMS...
Error connecting to CMS - Cannot be started by client. (of course, it not yet installed?)
Current Account: Account
Thumbnail Max Height: 182
Remote Products: 62
Remote Packages: 124
Json Parser (1,1): Syntax error - expected '{' or '['
SSL Error: 11 - The issuer certificate of a locally looked up certificate could not be found
Network Error:  : SSL handshake failed

Post edited by cgidesign on

Comments

• Are you using anti virus? Check for any ransomware protection; if you use the standard Windows defender and malware protection is on it'll deny access to your personal folders for every application which hasn't been whitelisted.

• cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 435
    edited December 2022

It is a new Win install with default firewall and defender.

Access to folders etc. is all ok. I can browse folders etc. from within DIM. Ransomware protection is off.

I know DAZ had this issue in the past when Windows got more strict in handling ssl certificates.- to solve it they provided new dlls to be put into the DIM and DS app dir (ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll).

I checked but already have the latest versions of those dlls.

I opened a ticket but because tech support often struggles with finding solutions (if they answer at all), I fear I have to hack around with manual installs which I definately want to avoid.

So I hope somebody has a solution.

Just imagine a new user with a new PC is downloading to try DS and runs into this - I think this will be a potentially lost customer.

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871
    edited December 2022

Did you find your   dzInstall.ini?

Mine is at C:\Users\Saxa\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D.  Same place as subfolders for DS Public vs reg and Hex subfolders. (also win10pro).

Funny enough.  Use DIM for years.  Today, initially that ini was not there.  Looked there first as was curious where dzInstall.ini actually was.  Opened DIM (used not long ago) and everything stayed blank.   Closed. Re-opened DIM and now see ini is there and DIM works proper.  Twighlight zone or related? 

Also saw this link -- https://www.exefiles.com/en/ini/dzinstall-ini/     ; Suggests reinstalling and has an overview.  That site talks about Bryce/DS version.

(Edited by mod to remove personal data)

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • Unfortunately no dzinstall.ini.

Tried uninstall, reinstall with and without run as admin.

Still SSL certificate error.

The link to exefiles.com brings me to the front page, Maybe that specific page is gone.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,416
    edited December 2022

What AV are you using?

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 2022

cgidesign said:

It is a new Win install with default firewall and defender.

I now tried to download the zip from my account page to put it into the download folder of DIM.

But: The ZIP button is linked to an exe not a zip. So, this is also not going to work.

DS_zip.png
    698 x 543 - 81K
    edited December 2022

cgidesign said:

Unfortunately no dzinstall.ini.

Tried uninstall, reinstall with and without run as admin.

Still SSL certificate error.

Hmmm.

That's confusing.
    So everything else is installing, but not dzInstall.ini?

Perhaps dzInstall.ini requires a certain authentication to update (ie SSL certificate error)?
    When i go into DIM, like just now, a new datestamp is made for dzInstall.ini.  Meaning something like it is being written anew.

The link to exefiles.com brings me to the front page, Maybe that specific page is gone.

Checked link. Yeah get same too. Have copy/pasted umpteen links for ages, so something must have changed.  

Their main point was each ini is very unique and simple copy/paste is not recco'd.  But if you are feeling advanced enough you could always copy/paste from old install and see what happens?  One more step to trouble-shoot?

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,079
    edited December 2022

dzinstall.ini is not crated by Install Manager, it was created by the manual/stand-alone installers Install Manager can read it to see what their paths were. It isn't needed for a purely DIM/Daz Central path to application installation.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • So why would his log show issue, like first error?  Or are you saying it's 100% not required.  And in my log dsinstall.ini is recognized and DIM works?  Am not quite understanding the required file flow for various DIM operations etc.

• The file is checked for, but it isn't needed if it is missing.

edited December 2022

Thanks all. I think I found out what is wrong.

Again the situation:

• A fresh PC setup with formatted ssd.
    • New fresh install of win 10 pro 22H2
    • All drivers installed but not much software
    • Installed DIM 1.4.0.94

Issue: DIM does not download anything - message "download failed"

Log says:

Json Parser (1,1): Syntax error - expected '{' or '['
    SSL Error: 11 - The issuer certificate of a locally looked up certificate could not be found
    Network Error:  : SSL handshake failed

My guess:

DIM uses a certificate to establish an SSL connection for downloading. This certificate has to be confirmed by an Issuer Certificate. But this issuer certificate is not available on a new Windows installation if only DIM is installed.

Workaround:

I copied a DAZ Studio zip and Postgres zip from the old PC into the downloads folder of the new DIM install and started the new DIM with "work offline".

I then let DIM install both packages. Installation worked.

I then started DIM again with log in to the account.

Now DIM is able to download the content.

Assumption: DIM does not include, install (or whatever) the required issuer certificate, but the Postgres or the DAZ Studio installer do that. So, after DS or Postgres have solved the missing certicate issue, also DIM now finds it and works correctly.

(I don't know if the "json parser" error is related to that or just another message pointing to an error in one of the installer packages.)

• LOL, that definately ranks up there as a more rare cause for DIM not initiating, AFAIK.  That trick of copying file(s) from another setup has been critical for me a few times too.   Awesome you got it.

• I think I found about 10 or 15 similar threads while searching for a solution. In none of those this workaround was mentioned. They just ended without a hint how the users solved it. Anyway, I made a ticket - maybe they take care of it maybe not.

• 10-15? That sounds like more common than rare.  In that case, am doubly glad that both my DIM setups worked, and never had to research and trouble-shoot that. 

Though do install a bunch of software first including internet stuff. Maybe helpful? Or just luck?

That would be a pretty specialized fix if applies to others too. If that is case, would not surprise me that maybe all never even solved it - directly.  

yes on Ticket file. 

• cgidesign said:

[...]

Workaround:

I copied a DAZ Studio zip and Postgres zip from the old PC into the downloads folder of the new DIM install and started the new DIM with "work offline".

I then let DIM install both packages. Installation worked.

@cgidesign Was there a trick to getting DIM to find/recognize the DAZ Studio that you copied manually?

My DIM also refuses to install anything, with the same error message (The issuer certificate of a locally looked up certificate could not be found).

I don't have another computer with DAZ, though, so I tried just manually downloading DAZ Studio from the downloads page and placing the file (DAZStudio_4.21.0.5_Win64.exe) in DIM's download folder. When I launch DIM, whether in Offline Mode or not, nothing appears in the "Ready to Install" tab.

(I also tried actually installing the DAZ Studio I downloaded, hoping that DIM would notice it and let me download everything else, but DIM doesn't seem to detect it. I keep getting prompted to auto install the Default Install Set, but I keep getting the SSL Certificate error.)

@I.Am.NotStellar

Sorry, late reply, did not notice there was a post.

I can't remeber exactly, but I think you need the intaller zip and the manifest file and put them in the DIM folders accordingly.

I set DIM to "work offline" for it to work.

But anyway, I just checked "my product page" on the daz website and it seems there is no full manual download for DS anymore. Seems so they are DIM only now.

Possible workaround:

I made a TICKET on 12.16.2022 -- on 05.16.2023 (five month later) they posted a potential workaround

1. Make sure DIM is closed
    2. Download and install the file from the link below: https://certs.godaddy.com/repository/gdig2.crt
    3. Restart DIM and try to install again.

Maybe that works in case you still have the issue. I did not try it, but found my already mentioned own solution.

• This fix is being integrated into Install Manager, we are told, though some details of the method are still being reviewed to determine which approach is best for users.

Good to hear that fix is coming to DIM.

• As of 6/17/2023 DiM still misses correct install for a new PC. A second method is to install DaZ centeral. It breezed through a full re set up of stuido and a sizeable market closet.

• Had the same issue with new PC.

The crt certificate attached in a previous post worked for me like a charm.

Thanks.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,527

cgidesign said:

But anyway, I just checked "my product page" on the daz website and it seems there is no full manual download for DS anymore. Seems so they are DIM only now.

Not true. Had to check and the manual download is still there. 

• cgidesign said:

@I.Am.NotStellar

I can't remeber exactly, but I think you need the intaller zip and the manifest file and put them in the DIM folders accordingly.

Possible workaround:

I made a TICKET on 12.16.2022 -- on 05.16.2023 (five month later) they posted a potential workaround

2. Download and install the file from the link below: https://certs.godaddy.com/repository/gdig2.crt

Maybe that works in case you still have the issue. I did not try it, but found my already mentioned own solution.

Great an simple solution! I had the same issue and like this it was fixed in a minute. Thanks

• markschilperoort said:

cgidesign said:

@I.Am.NotStellar

Possible workaround:

Great an simple solution! I had the same issue and like this it was fixed in a minute. Thanks

Thanks for this! Link with crt worked like a charm! 

• FenFen Posts: 53

Thanks alot! Solved my issue. Great bunch of people here no doubt about itsmiley

• nbazzy2002nbazzy2002 Posts: 0
    edited April 1

celae82 said:

markschilperoort said:

cgidesign said:

@I.Am.NotStellar

Possible workaround:

Thanks for this! Link with crt worked like a charm!

that work for me ,thank you very much

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • that certificate saved me too, thanks!!

• That certificate didn't work for me.