V7/Genesis3 Not Dominating Sales?

2»

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

Don't know about V7, although I doubt there's much difference from the G3F base figure;  as far as I can make out from that very long diatribe, the OP is complaining about not being able to morph a particuar shape and blames the failure on the poorly construted mesh?

Speaking purely as a modeller, I'd say that the G3F mesh is a huge improvement on any previuos Daz offering - the topology follows the musculature and defines it very well.  I had no problem morphing individual mucsles in Hex.  

Possibly the suplied morphs, or maybe the commercially available ones for V7 are not up to whatever figure the OP wanted to make by dialling in, but the fault certainly does not lie in any problem with the mesh.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,952

All of them back to V3 etc were modelled by Mallenlane though.

so I figure he knows about topography, what G3F does have is the even quads found in most game models which I suspect the focus is on.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

I see that Michael 7 is on his way per this advert for Scott 6.

• 50% OFF
    • The soon to be released MICHAEL 7
      with purchase of the Scott 6 Pro Bundle

http://www.daz3d.com/08-25-scott-6

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,142

So that will be another figure that we can't use yet in Carrara!  Makes shopping at DAZ simpler though, as I can immediately write off half the new products - a shame in some cases as there are a few which caught my eye.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,952

Well if they ever get them Carrara compatible they will be on sale for less by then

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Scott 6 looks interesting though - good alpha-dumbass type, great for soldiers, mercs, fighters etc. and the outfits that come with hime have certainly perked my interest (shame I'm perpetually skint!) Wonder if Ringo has a skin in the works . . .

• hjakehjake Posts: 821
    Jonstark said:
    hjake said:

A promo on V7 is just a marketing measure to give incentive to dive into the Gen 3 market. A company would still do it even if sales are great. The V7 (V6 V5 V4 V3 V2 V1) bundles are just the seeds to create product adoption. Once you are vested in a product your barrier to buying more accessories for that product line become lower. Every journey starts with a first step.

All true.  However the offer itself (while I do see it as a bribe to try to push me into getting V7) wasn't really the focus of my argument, it was simply the catalyst that made me start to ponder.  I agree it could be a simple marketing technique they are trying out in various targeted microcosms for 'traditional spenders' here at Daz who for whatever reason haven't jumped into V7/Genesis.  But the points I raised above about the possible problems V7 might be encounteriing don't really have anything to do with the flash V7 'We'll bribe you to please please buy her' offer.

I was floored by the link to the Commons that Diomede posted, where many (many!) Studio users are also very unhappy with V7, and for different reasons than anything I speculated about, reason endemic to the flawed way the figure is built (and I have to agree that looking at a wireframe and uvs of V7 and V6 next to each other, V6 looks much better made).  That thread is very long, and filled with lots of good arguments against V7 from a Studio-user's perspective, points I never considered.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I do think there are some good logical reasons that V7 might be a tough sell.

I agree with you 100% on that point. IMO, it looks like V7 was made to make it easier to adopt into game content creation but still the weight map issue is a barrier along with format transfer. When I look at the overall offering and information Daz provides, it sometimes looks like a committee for horse design offering us a camel.

• I bought G3F basic morphs and expressions but not V7. I find 90% of the G3F renders so far unrealistic. Some are even less realistic than early V4! I look at the advertising images for some of these new G3 products and wonder, "What were you thinking?" IRAY might be very forgiving but it can't transform a badly posed, glassy eyed mannequin into a realistic model. There is no way I'm going to move on from my huge G1 & G2 collection until I see evidence that G3F renders (and animates) significantly better than G2F. Not by just a little bit but by a significant amount. Some have made a great deal out of G3F joint bends and facial bones - well let's see this in action please. The theory is interesting but it's applying it in practice that convinces. The fact that we have to spend hundreds of £ on iClone Pipeline to enhance Carrara/DAZ Studio animation features doesn't enthuse me either. It feels like more money flowing down an ever expanding drain for less and less improvements.

• Jonstark said:
    hjake said:

A promo on V7 is just a marketing measure to give incentive to dive into the Gen 3 market. A company would still do it even if sales are great. The V7 (V6 V5 V4 V3 V2 V1) bundles are just the seeds to create product adoption. Once you are vested in a product your barrier to buying more accessories for that product line become lower. Every journey starts with a first step.

All true.  However the offer itself (while I do see it as a bribe to try to push me into getting V7) wasn't really the focus of my argument, it was simply the catalyst that made me start to ponder.  I agree it could be a simple marketing technique they are trying out in various targeted microcosms for 'traditional spenders' here at Daz who for whatever reason haven't jumped into V7/Genesis.  But the points I raised above about the possible problems V7 might be encounteriing don't really have anything to do with the flash V7 'We'll bribe you to please please buy her' offer.

I was floored by the link to the Commons that Diomede posted, where many (many!) Studio users are also very unhappy with V7, and for different reasons than anything I speculated about, reason endemic to the flawed way the figure is built (and I have to agree that looking at a wireframe and uvs of V7 and V6 next to each other, V6 looks much better made).  That thread is very long, and filled with lots of good arguments against V7 from a Studio-user's perspective, points I never considered.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I do think there are some good logical reasons that V7 might be a tough sell.

If you check out the IRAY and G3F products at rendo they're mainly by vendors who sell here so it's not like rendo has a completely different set of vendors releasing G3/IRAY products. 1+1 doesn't add up to 2 in this case. Vendors have just got better at marketing the same or very similar products at more than one place.

I also find it interesting that even before G3M has been released DAZ are discounting G3F pretty heavily (e.g. $50 vouchers.) I don't remember this strategy with G1 & G2. The market has become much more competative at the lower end (Poser will soon have its own unbiased renderer) so maybe that's part of the reason but I certainly don't see significant advantages to investing in G3 characters so far and it looks like I'm not the only one based on this and other threads.

• SileneUK said:

I see that Michael 7 is on his way per this advert for Scott 6.

• 50% OFF
    • The soon to be released MICHAEL 7
      with purchase of the Scott 6 Pro Bundle

http://www.daz3d.com/08-25-scott-6

It'll be interesting to see if G3M improves on realism but it doesn't seem worth buying Scott just to get an extra 20% off G3M. I don't find Scot particularly realistic looking which is what I'm looking for.