Problems with Gen2Males Base Character Textures on Gens (moderate pics)

My upgrade on Windows 10 made it nessesary, that I need tio install DAZ 4.8 completely new. But after the new install, i have a texturing "problem" with with the Genesis 2 Male Base-Character, or better with the Base textures for the Gens.

I have also installed Michael 6 and his best parts new. When I load the base G2M-Character, the standard Phillip-Textures work, then I apply the gens and try to add the materials for them and it loads always just the hip part (but not like it should be)... all other parts (Gen1, Gen2 etc.) are still white.

I have installed the characters and DAZ Studio both ways ... via Install manager and manually. There are just the two Gens parts "Phillip Pubes Hairy" and "Phillips Pubes Shaed" that not worked. If I use another texture like the ones for Nevio 6 (comes with Michael 6) it works without problems.

I've added a picture to show you what I mean. (I hope it's okay with the black block and not against DAZ rules).

Thanks in advance for your help.

textures.jpg
800 x 338 - 136K

Comments

• Does the Philip set have a preset for the genitals? The male genitals do not use the sme textures as the body.

• SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521

You can see in the screenshot that he has Philip's gens selected in the content library. So he's using the right script...

• Not necessarily - those look more like different hair options for the body. I'm not sure which character that is, or what it includes.

• JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758
    Mrugnak said:

You can see in the screenshot that he has Philip's gens selected in the content library. So he's using the right script...

If it is just "Hair option", it will not load the "skin", as hair is like an overlay on the skin.

Check to see if there is a skin option for that model. (Also note, you may have multiple GENs... The skins are not universal per GEN models, they both have to be the same pair and there is no real way to identify which ones match which model, since they don't include metadata. Look around, you may have another set of skins that are for that specific GENs. If not, then you have to find the correct matching model for the skins. Neither is an easy task, even with search...)

Trust me, I have about eight Genital add-ons and each is unique in mapping. Find the actual file and google the file-name and path... You will see which textures you may need. Chances are, they hard-mapped the image-locations and they are not loading. (Or you got a MAC version using / not \ for paths... change them to : symbols for universal folder-paths. ":Runtime:Data:SomeFolder:Somefile.jpg" <- Not sure the leading : is needed, but it is in about 90% of my files.)

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,821
    edited August 2015

It's a location thing. G2M Phillip's main materials are in

/People/Genesis 2 Male/Materials

The "Phillip Pubes Hairy/Shaved" presets in THAT directory refer ONLY to the SkinHip/Hips surface of the main G2M figure itself. (Though in fact it appears to resurface the entire Template 2 section; that's why you have ears showing on Phillip's groin in your image.)

The matching Genitalia materials for the default Genesis 2 Male textures are in

/People/Genesis 2 Male/Anatomy/Materials

in a subdirectory of the location of the dingus itself.

These material presets have no pictures; they have plain white icons with text that matches the material they're supposed to go with. So "GENS Hairy" goes with "Phillip Pubes Hairy", and so on.

They're organized that way because not everyone will have the genitalia, but everyone with a current version of Studio will have G2M Phillip.

Note that there is a slight shader mismatch, which is something DAZ really ought to fix. The main body textures report as omUberSurface, while the genital textures report as omHumanSurface. There are settings in Ubersurface that aren't present in Human Surface, and you can actually see the difference between the surfaces if you stick the genitals on Phillip. (And no, I haven't reported it as a bug; I only just discovered it in trying to figure out what was going on, and I can't remember the last time I used Phillip's textures -- in fact, I've probably never used them as part of G2M, only back when he was M5. At the moment, very technically, I have four outstanding tickets, so I'm very happy to pass this one off to someone affected by it.)

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • JD_63843 said:
    Mrugnak said:

If it is just "Hair option", it will not load the "skin", as hair is like an overlay on the skin.

Check to see if there is a skin option for that model. (Also note, you may have multiple GENs... The skins are not universal per GEN models, they both have to be the same pair and there is no real way to identify which ones match which model, since they don't include metadata. Look around, you may have another set of skins that are for that specific GENs. If not, then you have to find the correct matching model for the skins. Neither is an easy task, even with search...)

It's a little ahrd to follow, but I think this is wrong. Each figure (that is, Genesis 2 male or the original Genesis) has one set of genitals from DAZ (there may be third-party add-ons at places like Renderotica but they will not get suport in characters sold at DAZ) - however, each texture set for the body will need its own textures for the genitals if they are to match. If you use the Content Library pane the genital textures will usually be in the folder for the character materials, assuming there is a set of textures for the genitals.

JD_63843 said:

Trust me, I have about eight Genital add-ons and each is unique in mapping. Find the actual file and google the file-name and path... You will see which textures you may need. Chances are, they hard-mapped the image-locations and they are not loading. (Or you got a MAC version using / not \ for paths... change them to : symbols for universal folder-paths. ":Runtime:Data:SomeFolder:Somefile.jpg" <- Not sure the leading : is needed, but it is in about 90% of my files.)

That sounds like Poser-format files, not DAZ Studio format - DS files use the / as path separator. I'm reallyt not sure what is to be "Googled" - if files are being sought the readme or Install manager Show Installed Files lists are the place to look.