DAZ Horse 3 - will there actually be any support this time?

Comments

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,727

My woman at home who's a horse person agrees completely with all of you guys that there're some things tragically wrong with the poor thing's anatomy and muscling, and personally I can also see it's looking rather odd in some renders. Still, I like the reindeer very much, and along with the reins and the sleigh and everything, it's still a pretty good deal to me. I do believe the horse itself is lacking some vital morphs, maybe even jcms and them thingies that make joints bend properly; and maybe the map that has the muscles on it has somehow been cut to the wrong size or something, that's why things are not matching up as they should at the moment (that's what it looks like to me). I guess all of this can be fixed, and if AM's involved, I'm confident they will be. 
    Maybe it would have been wiser to just publish the reindeer as a stand-alone character. But then again, maybe we do get some sort of discount on the final horse product. Since the deal itself was fine for me, I'm not much bothered, but rather interested to see what will eventually transpire.

(Now I feel rather sorry for the poor animal getting so much hate posts ... Will have to render with him a bit later on. Though the mane IS a pita to simulate.)

• I tried playing with the dforce on his mane 

I adjusted his mane and tail's gloss colour and used a wind node and adjusted some dforce settings but it still looks too stiff. I closed his eyes a little and from what I can tell the horse is in beta 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,121

BandoriFan said:

I tried playing with the dforce on his mane 

I adjusted his mane and tail's gloss colour and used a wind node and adjusted some dforce settings but it still looks too stiff. I closed his eyes a little and from what I can tell the horse is in beta 

I think your wind node is too strong or too close to the horse.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,413
    edited December 2022

I agree Dforce is wacky on both the tail and mane when I run sims also. They fall flat or shoot straight up, and sometimes it looks like the tail gets caught on the hooves.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • I purchased the bundle but will wait on downloading it under Horse3 is (presumably) updated and finalized. Daz Horse2 and all its considerable morphs/add-ons will suit me fine for now.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 9,023

AlmightyQUEST said:

The rodent base was a more neutral base not quite like any of the animals it would morph into, so fingers crossed that's the plan here.

Perhaps, but let's not forget that that product line was abandoned after just a few releases, and that was after you had to buy the base first.  I bought in thinking that we'd be getting rats, mice, weasels, etc, and instead there were only the odd choices of two diffent sets of squirrels and a porcupine.  

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,121

Cybersox said:

AlmightyQUEST said:

The rodent base was a more neutral base not quite like any of the animals it would morph into, so fingers crossed that's the plan here.

Perhaps, but let's not forget that that product line was abandoned after just a few releases, and that was after you had to buy the base first.  I bought in thinking that we'd be getting rats, mice, weasels, etc, and instead there were only the odd choices of two diffent sets of squirrels and a porcupine.  

That lack of follow through made me feel duped, and it really soured my on his products for a long time.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,283

Oh c'mon. The poor beast just needs a proper horse morph...

• sidsid Posts: 433
    edited December 2022

Daz Horse 3, Old Tane, Corgi, Reindeer. Reindeer a bit of an upgrade, even if I can't get his fur to simulate (un-simulated here, otherwise his base mat pokes through). The bells in the sleigh bundle are very cute.

reendeer.jpg
    3000 x 3000 - 3M
    Post edited by sid on
  • AlmightyQUEST said:

This is definitely not a neutral base, it's marked as a Thoroughbred breed. It's most likely unifinished and rushed to meet the xmas deadline and release the Reindeer.
    As for abandoning the rodent, it's irellevant to this situation. This is a DO base, even if AM doesn't do anything for it further, there will be other PAs who will build around it and, at least for a while, Daz will certainly buy / comission items for it. 

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

ioonrxoon said:

This is definitely not a neutral base, it's marked as a Thoroughbred breed. It's most likely unifinished and rushed to meet the xmas deadline and release the Reindeer.
    As for abandoning the rodent, it's irellevant to this situation. This is a DO base, even if AM doesn't do anything for it further, there will be other PAs who will build around it and, at least for a while, Daz will certainly buy / comission items for it. 

Hopefully ...

• JOdel said:

Oh c'mon. The poor beast just needs a proper horse morph...

LOL! Good onelaugh 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,914
    edited December 2022

i find most 3d modeled animals look a bit cartoony or have weird feet, etc... predators dont have a fericious enough look. 

Post edited by daveso on
  • movidamovida Posts: 54

BandoriFan said:

I tried playing with the dforce on his mane 

Not criticizing your render, but horses don't open their mouths when running - they can't breath through their mouths - they're obligate nasal breathers (have to breathe through their nostrils).

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

ioonrxoon said:

This is a DO base, even if AM doesn't do anything for it further, there
    will might (or not might) be other PAs who will build around it and, at least for a while, Daz will might (or not might) certainly buy / comission items for it. 

Fixed that for You

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 9,023
    edited December 2022

A thought that just occured to me:  why in the heck is this branded the DAZ Horse 3 when the last dog was monikered DAZ Dog 8?  Given that precedent, I thought the plan was to have all figures numerical designations match the generation of human figure that they were released with?  Are numerals now being assigned arbitrarily, or will purchasers of this find that the final release of the product will be DAZ Horse 9?  Or will the next Dragon be DAZ Dragon ß?   

Anyway, assuming that the basic sculpture issues can be resolved, I hope that some PA will at least make conforming, non-dForce manes and tails for DH3, given that there's often no reason to do simulations on distant figures...

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,237
    edited January 2023

I can see potential here, the mesh is nice to work with and has shed some of the poor topography that hindered Horse 2. The unified UV map is a good improvement in most aspects.Though there are some parts of the main textures that I like the look of and other parts that I feel need some work. But all up it seems a pretty solid base so far. 

Here's a render with a few custom morphs added to the base.

DAHorse3.jpg
    900 x 950 - 80K
    Post edited by Design Anvil - Razor42 on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,895

Design Anvil - Razor42 said:

I can see potential here, the mesh is nice to work with and has shed some of the poor topography that hindered Horse 2. The unified UV map is a good improvement in most aspects.Though there are some parts of the main textures that I like the look of and other parts that I feel need some work. But all up it seems a pretty solid base so far. 

Thank you. That looks a lot better. Are you going to save it for us? I also need a new mane & tail; polyester doesn't look good. 

• Some improvement! The chin/mouth is still needing some work (I wish I could do morphs!) Nice job with the mane.

Design Anvil - Razor42 said:

edited January 2023

A bit more horse play, refining some morphs.

Yeah the chin is a hard one, the current HD details are pretty strong around the lips and the current texture adds more emphasis to that base shape.

HorsePlay1.jpg
    600 x 612 - 68K
    edited January 2023

Definite potential, Happy New Year!

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,167

The eyes are still freakin' me out, even tho it is an improvement.

edited January 2023

They remind me of that Napoleon painting at times, but could be improved to tone down the panicked look.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,727

Good to know that you're on it, Design Anvil, and a happy new one to you, too!

• CerragCerrag Posts: 251
    edited January 2023

Sorry if this has been asked/answered already but I thought I saw something about getting access to the morphs and maybe other DH3 items on December 31st.  Did anyone else see that on the Reindeer promo on the 24th or did I read that wrong?  It's partly why I bought that bundle I remember but sadly there's still nothing new for the new horse.  indecision

Post edited by Cerrag on
  • That's MUCH better Design Anvil. Thank you for your efforts. The shoulder and neck looks a LOT better as does the body, but there's still a lot more that needs fixing (feet , pasterns and legs along with the face so the poor horse doesn't look terrified all the time). The joint bends also aren't correct but neither are they right for any of the othe horses. All in all a BIG improvement. yes

• ZippyGuitarZippyGuitar Posts: 837
    edited January 2023

Cerrag said:

Sorry if this has been asked/answered already but I thought I saw something about getting access to the morphs and maybe other DH3 items on December 31st.  Did anyone else see that on the Reindeer promo on the 24th or did I read that wrong?  It's partly why I bought that bundle I remember but sadly there's still nothing new for the new horse.  indecision

I don't recall there being a date given. I think early buyers simply get early access to the new updates/add-ons/features.

edit: and yes, DA, a really like what you've done. Unfortunately, I can't make myself download the horse or reindeer. The poor horse needs some work.

Post edited by ZippyGuitar on
  • ZippyGuitar said:

Cerrag said:

I don't recall there being a date given. I think early buyers simply get early access to the new updates/add-ons/features.

edit: and yes, DA, a really like what you've done. Unfortunately, I can't make myself download the horse or reindeer. The poor horse needs some work.

I think December 31, 2022 was the deadline to buy the Sleigh Ride bundle and get early access to Horse 3, not when the bundle buyers would get the morphs & add-ons. I think those will come out with the official Horse 3 release, which my guess is any time between tomorrow and whenever DS5 debuts. :)

• CerragCerrag Posts: 251

Thanks so much for the replies and after seeing what Design Anvil had done in this forum, sure wish I was able to buy an updated package from them.  I loved the package for the Dark Unicorn so am excited for what they may do for the DH3!

https://www.daz3d.com/da-dark-unicorn-for-daz-horse-2

• I'm liking the chin a bit better. I feel like the eyes are too forward facing? Preditors eyes are on the front of their faces for binocular vision, Prey animals are more on the side to give more degree of vision around them. 

I LOVE the image in white! And Happy New Year to you, too Razor!

The neck and shoulders as someone else mentioned need improvement, as it's too straight necked. 

But as I have heard often in other forums, there are going to be lots of complaints if you release something that isn't quite finished, yet. 

On the other hand, you said the mesh is nice to work with, so that is a big bonus!