So How's The Weather There?

Houston area: Down around 20F for several nights, but no precipitation.  Pipes pretty much OK, a few burps.  Tender outside plants gone, one in the garage gone, but the potted rubber plants look OK so far in the garage.  No loss of power like a year ago, but this was ~milder.  We've been breaking ice in the bird bath with hot water and a spatula.

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

Northwest Iowa here.

It's been between -5F and -20F the last 3 days with 30-60mph winds. Wind chills down to around -50F.

We got just about 12 inches of snow give or take, depends where you are at in the county.

Blizzard conditions basically.

A few roads drifted closed last night.

Power stayed on thankfully.

We got our white Christmas *thumbs up*

Things are getting better though.

Currently -2F no wind and only light snow forecast for Monday

...and the snow plow guys did a great job getting the snow moved off the roads :)

• In Eastern Massachusetts we got two days of heavy rain. Temperatures were in the low 50's. Extremely high for this time of year.  Friday night, temperatures plunged into the single digits. 16F on Christmas morning.  Heavy winds caused power outages, but it wasn't widespread. 

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

BrianP21361 said:

In Eastern Massachusetts we got two days of heavy rain. Temperatures were in the low 50's. Extremely high for this time of year.  Friday night, temperatures plunged into the single digits. 16F on Christmas morning.  Heavy winds caused power outages, but it wasn't widespread. 

Oh thanks for that.  I am from Portsmouth NH and have relatives in Boston and Plymouth. And my heart goes out to all of you affected by thie terrible weather. Wet and 50ish here in the Southwest of England today. Typical weather for here this time of year, though we had a deep freeze up until a couple of weeks ago.

Happy Christmas everyone!  heart Silene 

• Hmmm ... I live in Texas, but at the immediate moment am located in Puerto Rico ... it went down to about 70 last night and is sunny today with a chance of an afternoon thunderstorm. By the way, I grew up in Ohio and have not seen snow in many years ... I think I miss it a little.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,810

Christmas Day here was 90°f and same today on Boxing Day.. great day for watching the cricket Test Match at the GEE heart

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192

3141592654 said:

Hmmm ... I live in Texas, but at the immediate moment am located in Puerto Rico ... it went down to about 70 last night and is sunny today with a chance of an afternoon thunderstorm. 

Curious, These cold fronts move across Texas from the northwest, and then out southeast into the Gulf. Do they get to Puerto Rico?:

• 39C going to be 45C tomorrow

I just connected the portable aircon to it's hole in the wall

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,505

WendyLuvsCatz said:

39C going to be 45C tomorrow

I just connected the portable aircon to it's hole in the wall

That reminds me of the Christmas I spent in Zambia, 40+C in the shade, eating bananas under a palm tree smiley 

• Steve K said:

3141592654 said:

Hmmm ... I live in Texas, but at the immediate moment am located in Puerto Rico ... it went down to about 70 last night and is sunny today with a chance of an afternoon thunderstorm. 

Curious, These cold fronts move across Texas from the northwest, and then out southeast into the Gulf. Do they get to Puerto Rico?:

Actually no ... this weather comes usually from the east. Africa sends dust storms and  the atlantic hurricanes can come this way.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

I am in Dallas, Texas for the holidays.  Got the initial arctic blast with high winds, etc a few days ago but it is warming up quickly.  Will probably be delightful in Texas about the time for me to return to Arkansas.  frown

3141592654 said:

Steve K said:

3141592654 said:

Actually no ... this weather comes usually from the east. Africa sends dust storms and  the atlantic hurricanes can come this way.

Yes, we get those hurricanes from the east.  " ... a tropical cyclone makes landfall along the [Texas] coastline about three times every four years ... "  And we also get the arctic "bomb cyclones" from the northwest.  Lucky us.  

Diomede said:

I am in Dallas, Texas for the holidays.  Got the initial arctic blast with high winds, etc a few days ago but it is warming up quickly.  Will probably be delightful in Texas about the time for me to return to Arkansas.  frown

Yup.  Last night was the last freezing temp (barely) in Houston for a while, we took the potted plants out of the garage this morning.  Starting tomorrow, should be in the 70's for a week or so. Lows around 60F. 

Beach!  wink