Why Radeon graphic card is slow for Iray render??

just recently I've purchased Victoria 7 pro bundle and it's killing me every time I render using Iray
It's not only slow but when I load one more figure and start rendering within one minute DAZ will shut down..!!!

I am not even able to use any lights, It will kill the render time more and more 
somehow I manage to render 3 or 4 pics for V7 BUT with minimum level of settings
Notes; I had this issue since I upgrade Daz4.8, It's very much slowly and occasionally will shut down

and I have 
Dell laptop
core i7
2 GB Graphic card
8 GB RAM

I can handle a view things it wasn't an issue 
V7 is the new generation of DAZ and work best in Iray render, It's kinda useless without Iray

my questions are:

I have 20 GB free space in my 'C driver' wich DAZ installed on it, could that effect DAZ rendering performance?
Is there any difference between AMD Radeon & nvidia graphic card ?
Is there any particular settings in Radeon graphic card for Iray render?
Is it possible to add one more Graphic card? If so, what's the Consequences?

Please help me asap

Comments

• AMD GPUs do not have CUDA, which is a proprietary nVidia technology. Iray uses CUDA, so it will not take advanatge of an AMD GPU. I'm afraid there is nothing you can do to change this. (As an aside, a 2GB GPU would not handle a large scene, though it probably would - if it was nVidia - work for a single clothed character at least.)

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585

Does your machine shut down if you render with 3Delight?

• I was reading in another thread that rendering with Iray will use an AMD card and its memory "To a point", then it dumps it's load onto the CPU. If you don't have CPU's built by Tony Stark, you might not have enough power to render the big scenes. It kinda sucks that Iray has become the standard render engine, it's like it is assumed that we all have the money to spend 300.00 bucks on a 4 gig video card. Personally I don't see anything wrong with 3Delight.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Chasmalim said:

I was reading in another thread that rendering with Iray will use an AMD card and its memory "To a point", then it dumps it's load onto the CPU. If you don't have CPU's built by Tony Stark, you might not have enough power to render the big scenes. It kinda sucks that Iray has become the standard render engine, it's like it is assumed that we all have the money to spend 300.00 bucks on a 4 gig video card. Personally I don't see anything wrong with 3Delight.

That, whereever it was posted, is flat out wrong.  Iray WILL NOT, CANNOT, even try to use an AMD card.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

3Delight is still in Studio so if you like it just switch to it.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

you can actually disable the Iray rendering engine in the plugins menu if you really want to. That's what I did.

• Have a home built asus computer with 8 cores, 32 gb ram an AMD 2 gb graphics card.

Untill my last update from Daz It did render with Iray using cpu power but took along time.

Now it just comes out black. Now when i set render to 3Delight it goes fast.

Open render settings, you can choose 3delight , So far i am not sure if buying a $400 - $1200 graphics card is the right thing to do.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

Have a home built asus computer with 8 cores, 32 gb ram an AMD 2 gb graphics card.

Untill my last update from Daz It did render with Iray using cpu power but took along time.

Now it just comes out black. Now when i set render to 3Delight it goes fast.

Open render settings, you can choose 3delight , So far i am not sure if buying a $400 - $1200 graphics card is the right thing to do.

I don't have an Nvidia GPU.I have an AMD R9-270x.I use iray for all my renders, and mine don't come out all black.The CPU only is slower, but the results are worth the wait.Besides, unless you have a GPU with lots of ram, iray will use the CPU anyway.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

ahmed1hse said:

just recently I've purchased Victoria 7 pro bundle and it's killing me every time I render using Iray
    It's not only slow but when I load one more figure and start rendering within one minute DAZ will shut down..!!!

I am not even able to use any lights, It will kill the render time more and more 
    somehow I manage to render 3 or 4 pics for V7 BUT with minimum level of settings
    Notes; I had this issue since I upgrade Daz4.8, It's very much slowly and occasionally will shut down

and I have 
    Dell laptop
    core i7
    2 GB Graphic card
    8 GB RAM

I can handle a view things it wasn't an issue 
    V7 is the new generation of DAZ and work best in Iray render, It's kinda useless without Iray

my questions are:

I have 20 GB free space in my 'C driver' wich DAZ installed on it, could that effect DAZ rendering performance?
    Is there any difference between AMD Radeon & nvidia graphic card ?
    Is there any particular settings in Radeon graphic card for Iray render?
    Is it possible to add one more Graphic card? If so, what's the Consequences?

Please help me asap

Your system may well struggle.

You ideally need a computer with at least 16GB of ram; 4GB graphics card, ideally latest generation and (for IRAY rendering, NVidia). The processor you have is decent, but it's a laptop i7 not a desktop. You have very little hard drive space, so there is little leaway for your laptop to increase the swap memory if it needs to do so. Hopefully swap memory has not been disabled. Likely the best upgrade would be to add 8GB of memory; personally, I'd upgrade to a desktop, you should get more computer for less cash - all you lose is the convenience of carrying it around.

Shutting down may suggest there is too much heat; it also may indicate that there is insufficient Swap Memory allocated, or that it is disabled. Even if you have an SSD you should not disable swap memory, especially with only 8GB of memory.

Look in the help menu > Troubleshooting > View Log file. It may tell you what the problem is. It can help to keep that file empty; ctrl a to select all, then delete the contents and save it. Maybe do that before each time you render, then you know the output is from the last render.