How do I transfer files to Poser 10?

edited August 2015 in New Users

I just purchased Michael 4 and several other files that are supposedly Poser-friendly, and have been trying to use the Daz Install Manager to install the DSON Importer, but it's not working. The webpage for the DSON Importer says it's compatible with Poser 9 (the installer says 9+), so I'd thought Poser 10 should be able to work with it, but when I attempt to install the importer, I get a message that the installer needs a path for Poser Pro 14 or 12(64bit).

What can I do?

btw, I am using windows 7 Pro (63 bit), if it matters.

Post edited by zhakarian_786b8e149a on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Older items, like M4 are Poser firendly without needing the DSON importer.  You only need to use the DSON importer for newer items that come with a Poser Companion file. Ie anything Genesis based and newer.

• Um, thanks for replying, but that doesn't help me at all. indecision

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2015

Sorry I didn't help you, But you did say, to start your post, that you were trying to install M4, and to install him and similar products you don't need the DSON importer, so this was the part of your post that I was responding to.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Poser 10 is 32 bit, so you should be installing the 32 bit version of the DSON Importer - having a 64 bit OS is not siginificant. You will need, if you haven't, to set the path for Poser in the Install Manager preferences - click the gear icon at top-right, then the Applications tab, click the + button and set the details for Poser (application name, version, bit-count if that choice remains open) and click the ... button to select the folder that holds Poser 10.

As Chohole noted, however, you do not need this for Michael 4.

• Maybe I should explain this a little more clearly. I recently installed DAZ3D, and purchased and installed Poser 10, as well.   I then purchased Michael 4, as well as several items that say they can be imported to Poser, through the use of the the DSON Importer. I would like to use these things in Poser, but don't know how to transfer them, ANY of them, with or without the importer.  The website states that the DSON importer will work with Poser 9(+), but any attempt to install it results in a message that the DAZ Installer can't find the path to Poser Pro 14 or Poser Pro 12 (64 bit).  I do appreciate your speedy response and attempt to help, but just telling me that the DSON Importer isn't needed for Michael 4 or other old items, doesn't tell me how to solve my problem.  

I have had a (very) little experience with both DAZ3D and Poser 7 in the past, but lost everything a few years ago to very lethal malware. I don't even remember how I got Michael and Victoria into Poser back then.

Please help!

Thank you!  =)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

For the DSON Importer, since Poser 10 is 32-bit you need the 32-bit version.  In DAZ Install Manager, click the settings (gear) icon in the upper right corner, then click the Applications tab, and click the + sign in the lower left to add an application -- choose Poser, version 10, 32-bit, and the path to Poser.exe (e.g. C:\Program Files (x32)\Smith Micro\Poser 10).  Then you'll be able to install DSON Importer.

For installing content, the default location DIM uses and the Poser default location are different -- you need to either add the install path to DIM, or add the DIM location as a Runtime in Poser.

• Ok, I just tried that, with the path being: Poser 10 (32bit)  C:/Program Files (x86)/Smith Micro/Poser 10  
    I still get the same result: "

• Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "DSON Importer for Poser (Win 64-bit)" requires that the installed path for "Poser Pro 2014, Pro 2012 (64-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again."
    •  
  • You need to isntall the 32 bit version, not the 64 bit version. it may be that you have the filters in the Isntall manager set to show only 64 bit software - click the button at the top of the Ready to Downlaod tab and enable 32 bit software.

• Well, obviously I'm doing something wrong, because I've been trying to do what you guys are telling me, but it always ends with disastrous results. Specificly, once I hit the queue button to begin the install, the Install Manager itself closes, and will not reopen.  The only way I can get it open again has been to uninstall the Manager, and then reinstall it again.   I've had to do this 4 times now.  sad

Does anyone know of a slow, step-by-step instructional video for idiots, that might be able to dumb things down enough for me?  I'd really like to get some of those accessory files, but don't see the point if I can't get them into Poser 10.

• What security software are you running?

• Avast

• You could try disconnecting from the web and turning Avast off temporarily, but that should be the pronblem - lots of people use it wiithout installation issues.

• (sigh) I'm at a total loss.  I'm quite sure by now that I don't even have the correct paths implemented any more, and have no clue what the correct paths would be.   I can't even try to download any content without the window closing automatically, and my having to reinstall the Manager.  Amazingly, even that doesn't fix the problem   -and if I try to work off the web, the Install Manager insists that there are no files whatsoever to install. sad