DAZ 3D to PMX / PMD?

ScreampunkArtsScreampunkArts Posts: 31
edited August 2015 in Daz Studio Discussion

Ok, so I've been looking all over the internet for ages and cannot find anything like what I need.

I find it much more comfortable & hassle-free to animate 3D models in MikuMikuDance / MMD. In my experience, DAZ is incredibly unfriendly to the average user like myself, but it's still the only program I can create realistic humanoids in that don't look like mutated corpses.

What I'm desperately seeking is a way to export Genesis models edited with Evolution into PMX / PMD format to be used in MikuMikuDance.
Preferrably with the bone rigging intact, but if push comes to shove I'm willing to re-rig in PMX Editor.

I've tried exporting to OBJ, importing & exporting as OBJ through Blender which seems for some reason to be the only way to get them to load in PMX Editor, but no matter what configurations / settings I use, it ends up a mess with way too many layers that appear to all be the exact same thing, producing giant files that take forever to sift through, and even then I'll be stuck with a face I can't create dials for.

PMX Editor also seems able to import "PSK" files, but I've never used these before so I don't know if they're applicable here.

Post edited by ScreampunkArts on

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

DS 3 had 3rd party support for PMD though a plug-in bug I didn't ever find one for DS 4

• There certainly was a pmd importer, but that was for a different kind of pmd - Poser Morph Data, external Poser morph files.

I do think there has been something for this application, but I can't recall what, by whom, or its capabilities.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,945

It needs to be put into directX format file.x IIRC fiddled a bit with it, my own Carrara rigging worked better than DAZ figures which kinda messed up, was a program in Japanese characters and really could not follow 

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

There certainly was a pmd importer, but that was for a different kind of pmd - Poser Morph Data, external Poser morph files.

I do think there has been something for this application, but I can't recall what, by whom, or its capabilities.

on that note was there ever a PMD importer (the kind I was talking about) that will work in 4.8? 

• There certainly was a pmd importer, but that was for a different kind of pmd - Poser Morph Data, external Poser morph files.

on that note was there ever a PMD importer (the kind I was talking about) that will work in 4.8? 

Not that I am aware of.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

I seem to remember that autodesk produced a converter - for converting from fbx to .x; i used it to convert some assets for a game I was working on a couple or so years ago: iirc.

I don't know how much success you would have with that.