cinema4D texturing?

Hello,

I am interested in making a jump to Daz Studio. Is there a way to import the Genesis characters in Cinema4D for texturing?

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,925

Just save out an .obj from Daz Studio or whatever app you use. Import it into C4D and start your painting in BodyPaint. Which version of C4D do you have? If it is R11 or lower you want to use a free app called Riptide(free) or R11 and up if you have the money you can get Pro(Paid Version) if you wish to contain your grouping. It expands you obj options for importing and exporting. There is a process you have to go through to make it so you can paint on the .obj but once you get the hang of it can go pretty quick.

You can get the free or pro version of Riptide from this site. https://skinprops.com/riptide.php. I use the Pro version which cost $50.00 US and it gives you much more options.

• DanaeDanae Posts: 6

I have R15. If I recall correctly riptide stoppped supporting after R11? So would there be any other way to import and keep the material groups so as to be able to texture. With Poser I used InterPoser Pro and it was quite straight forward.

I not sure with R15. I'm still on R13. Yes the free versionw as stopped at 11. Only way to find out is go to file/open and select the obj. It should pop up a box and will give you options. I'm sure they fixed that issue by now. Open the file and examine in your tree and see if your groups are there.

Groups.JPG
    563 x 1050 - 66K

I may have a PDF around here somewhere that shows the process you need to do for Body Paint if you unfamiliar with it.

Hi, sorry for dissapearing like that. I was and still am lost at newbie land. I had all my working paths sorted with Poser - Bodypaint and it is imparative for my texturing work. I dont know how I will survive without it to be honest. So there is no plugin to facilitate this process like InterPoser Pro was for Poser users? If you have any infos or PDF that could help I would be eternally grateful!

• Hi,

I am also on C4D r15 and am using Daz3D Pro 4.8.  In Daz, simply export as an .FBX format and then open it in C4D.  All the textures and materials come over just fine.  As a bonus, you get the bone rig with it and depending on the options when exporting, you get the morphs with it!

Hope this helps... Al

Thank you for the tip! I will try setting G3 there next week and hope there will not be any glitches. I would also be very interested in how to export the morphs and import them back to DS again. 

So far it seems considerably easier to import-export G3 but it is a totally different method than before. I used to be able to import tags and I to delete the eyelashes from there, but I dont know how to delete them now. Maybe I will just put a transparent material on it? Also, any ideas how to get rid of the bone rig without deleting the figure so I can texture ? I have also included my import options in the screenshot. 

Screenshot 2015-10-20 11.22.00.jpg
    774 x 734 - 164K
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,588

I still get all the tags I need, whatever version of FBX I'm using. (Tried it on R13 and R16.)

Are you not getting any of these?

tags.jpg
    306 x 570 - 28K

I had my custom setup all wrong and somehow couldn't see the tags but they were there just as you said. I deleted it by deleting the hip tag. Did not notice any adverse effect on the maps so it was probably the right thing to do? I also hid the Eyelash, EyeMosture and Cornea Polygon Selection Tag so I could texture they eyes a bit easier. There was some weirdness in the eye pupil when texturing but couldn't see what else I should hide. Overall it was surprisingly easy to import compared with previous figures.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588

The change to UDIM is one of the best ideas they've had at DAZ. laugh

In all the imported materials I have to move textures from 'transparency' to 'Alpha'. That may help with the pupil, I think Interposer used to do that automatically.

• a big time saver for me Danae is to get all my c4d materials as i want them to be rendered, and then make a custom library in the content library panel. then all (all lol) you have to do is drag the mats from the content browser over what ever mat you want to replace, its a crap system but its the fastest way at the moment.

what we need is a script to catch the materials name and then add the content library files automatically ? anyone wanna try lol