DAZ Horse 3 - Status

Comments

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,666

Calliope23 said:

I grew up around horses and volunteered at a horse rescue ranch as an adult. So I guess I notice when the CG horse looks wonky. I miss being around horses, but with the expense involved and the fear of breaking my middle aged bones now if I fell off rather than just bouncing back up as I did in my youth, CGI horses are the closest I can get! Luckily there is DAZ Horse 2, and the Dark Knight set looks very appealing.

https://www.daz3d.com/hd-dark-knight-for-daz-horse-2

I rode horses as well when I was a teen. DAZ Horse 3 is beautiful, but I have picked up on what others are saying about the mane, back legs, etc.

I have invested so much into DAZ Horse 2 that I cannot switch over. I have the Dark Knight textures which are amazing. I only use the horse for painting reference, so it's not that important to get a little more realism for me. The proportions and poses are more important.

I'm not upgrading to G9 Male/Female either, and all the DH3 poses with humans are for G9 only. sad

So I'm sticking with DH2 for now.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,603

Calliope23 said:

RawArt's critter for DAZ Horse 3 is pretty cool. smiley

https://www.daz3d.com/tapirdary-for-daz-horse-3

Thanks for pointing that out. @Calliope23, I had missed it somehow, but it is very cool!

- Greg

• Hi everybody! :)  I haven't been around for quite some time but saw the new horse and deals around it so went ahead and bought it. 

Well, that was a mistake. I honestly thought it would look even better than Horse 2 but no. Have sent a ticket for a full refund. Am soooo disappointed. sad

• semperequstri said:

zombietaggerung said:

I'm beginning to question weather or not AM has ever seen an actual horse in real life. yikes.

Sadly I agree. The new official DH3 looks just as bad as the "pre-release" version. The head is all wrong as are the shoulders and legs. I would've LOVED a new horse, but it has to be a hard pass for me. As a traditonal equestrian artist and someone who has been arround horses for over 50 years, I just CAN'T. frown

Ok, I was checking the forums to see if anyone else saw the same thing. I agree with you both, to me the head looks too HD'd and the eyes appear that the horse has been on a week long drinking binge with those heavy bags and too much tilt to them.  In the promos there seems to be an unnatural 'growth' between the ears that make the head appear as if it has a huge lump. I'm sticking with #2 if I need a horse for anything. Only thing I like is the Rawart character made using 3. 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,727

Just noticed (because someone pointed it out here) that ALL the Horse 3 poses are for G9 only - no! Why would you do that? Are we supposed to only let the shiny new expensive figures ride on the shiny new expensive horse, with all new shiny expensive tack on? No, sorry, not playing along this time. Had the Rustic Bundle in the cart at least, to be nice basically, but chucked it out again.

And they're not even good poses, are they ...

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 9,023

daveso said:

I do note that I have no update in DIM for DH3. Should there be one? 

I had updates for Horse 3 and the Reindeer in my box this morning.  Unfortunately, they did NOT include the promised additional textures, let alone a conforming mane, two of the things that the initial comments showed that DH3 was desperately in need of.   

tsroemi said:

Just noticed (because someone pointed it out here) that ALL the Horse 3 poses are for G9 only - no! Why would you do that? Are we supposed to only let the shiny new expensive figures ride on the shiny new expensive horse, with all new shiny expensive tack on? No, sorry, not playing along this time. Had the Rustic Bundle in the cart at least, to be nice basically, but chucked it out again.

And they're not even good poses, are they ...

This comes as absolutely no surprise.  Whenever a new human base figure is released, DAZ has usually channels most support to that figure, no matter which figure is actually currently dominant... that was pretty much a major cause of the  whole Poser/DAZ schism, after all.     

• I dont need a sale to purchase Daz Horse 3. 

I`ll pay full price if it looked like an improvement over Horse 2.

But to my eyes compared to Horse 2, the features and muscles look so exagerated that it looks kind of toonish, and the mane and taill look like he`s the lead singer in an 80`s hair metal band. (yeah I played in one of those too LOL)

At this point I`ll just wait to see how it evolves before I contemplate a purchase.

• hjakehjake Posts: 858

Can the saddles, carts, etc. from DAZ Horse 3 be used with DAZ Horse 2? Is it only a matter of scaling or would it be more involved?

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,979

Can anyone who has bought the DAZ Horse 3 test the poses for me? I'm having some major issues with the included poses and the front legs and chest ...... want to see if it's just me please

• carrie58 said:

Can anyone who has bought the DAZ Horse 3 test the poses for me? I'm having some major issues with the included poses and the front legs and chest ...... want to see if it's just me please

In a very brief test with the poses that come with the figure, the front legs and chest seem less weird than the hock. What problem are you seeing? 

Cybersox said:

daveso said:

I had updates for Horse 3 and the Reindeer in my box this morning.  Unfortunately, they did NOT include the promised additional textures, let alone a conforming mane, two of the things that the initial comments showed that DH3 was desperately in need of.   

You will find the conforming mane and tail in the Characters/Daz Originals/Horse-Thoroughbred Coat -Wearable

paulawp (marahzen) said:

carrie58 said:

In a very brief test with the poses that come with the figure, the front legs and chest seem less weird than the hock. What problem are you seeing? 

Oh boy ....these are using the thoroughbred poses and the horse poses

DH3 joint issue 7.png
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    DH3 joint issue 4.png
    2000 x 2000 - 868K
    DH3 joint issue 5.png
    2000 x 2000 - 798K
    DH3 joint issue 1.png
    2000 x 2000 - 665K
    DH3 joint issue 2.png
    2000 x 2000 - 1017K
  • 100.000 bad Miles away from DAZ Horse 2  I am very angry! 

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611

carrie58 said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

carrie58 said:

I posted shots of a few poses. No joint issues that I can see.  

• Do you have bought the horse with the Christmas Sleigh Bundle. I did.

Load DH3 new today, first I wrote the files over. I had the same problems as you discribes.

After I delete the data and installed it complete new it works. 

osterberg said:

Do you have bought the horse with the Christmas Sleigh Bundle. I did.

Load DH3 new today, first I wrote the files over. I had the same problems as you discribes.

After I delete the data and installed it complete new it works. 

Ahhh thank you very much .

• Had the same issue with the poses at first, if that happens delete the data and install it again. There's also a dsf the reindeer wants to overwrite, that may also be the cause, but I don't know since I didn't try overwriting it.

carrie58 said:

Cybersox said:

daveso said:

You will find the conforming mane and tail in the Characters/Daz Originals/Horse-Thoroughbred Coat -Wearable

No, with today's update, I only see one wearable and that includes the horrible d-force mane that everyone has taken to calling the "Moe" haircut.  A rigged conforming prop so that there's no need to run d-force simulations is pretty much a necessity unless you want to spend forever running simulations on herds of multiple horses.  I swear, it's like not only does DAZ no longer remember what horses actually look like, it's like they're completely unaware of their natural behavior or the kind of scenes that they'd normally be artistically depicted in...        

carrie58 said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

carrie58 said:

Whoa, those breaks are awful.  I guess this means that DAZ really is a crooked horse dealer! ;D  

• Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,237
    edited February 2023

Render02_Opt.jpg
    900 x 911 - 156K
    Post edited by Design Anvil - Razor42 on
  • Render01_Opt.jpg
    916 x 927 - 153K

Cybersox said:

carrie58 said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

carrie58 said:

Whoa, those breaks are awful.  I guess this means that DAZ really is a crooked horse dealer! ;D  

Nah it was me .....I hadn't updated .......my bad

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,342
    edited February 2023

OK, here's my first go with Daz Horse 3. 

That's a G8.1 figure. Ignore the absurdity of riding a galloping horse in what are basically slippers. This was pretty much a test project all the way around - from making use of the tack and poses with a G8 figure, to dforcing this outfit on a horse. 

ETA: Just to make it clear, these poses are specifically meant for use with G9. Finagling was involved to make this work with G8. I didn't want to misrepresent that, lest anyone buy it in expectation of it working out of the box with G8.

DazHorse3-test.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,895

paulawp (marahzen) said:

OK, here's my first go with Daz Horse 3. 

That's a G8.1 figure. Ignore the absurdity of riding a galloping horse in what are basically slippers. This was pretty much a test project all the way around - from making use of the tack and poses with a G8 figure, to dforcing this outfit on a horse. 

ETA: Just to make it clear, these poses are specifically meant for use with G9. Finagling was involved to make this work with G8. I didn't want to misrepresent that, lest anyone buy it in expectation of it working out of the box with G8.

I like it. Engaging image. I wouldn't have noticed the slippers because I was thinking about the outfit maybe being M4 or Genesis. The DH3 conehead crown is flattened, and you un-bugged the eyes. The mane doesn't look great, but it also doesn't have the dh2 bald spot. That tail looks like a bad perm or like it had a long encounter with a blowout comb. Of course, that's not on you. Thanks for posting.

• https://www.daz3d.com/da-sleipnir-for-daz-horse-3

well I may buy all the fantasy creatures eventually

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,283

Sleipnir is certainly interesting. Not at all sure that I'd ever use it though.

DAZ Horse 3 does certainly morph. Doesn't necessesarily pose. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,064

Sleipnir could be used for SciFi on another planet. And for Odin.

• MelissaGT said:

And seriously...they are trying to sell these poses? Oofta. Dem back legs...

I have only ridden a few times and I can see there's something very wrong/wierd with the back legs.  The lowest joint (is it called the ankle?) looks backwards to me.

Hmmm, there's still serious problems with at least 2 of the standard 4 legs and the latest Horse 3 "character" has double the legs? Not sure that Rule of Cool - and a Sleipner morph does sound cool - will be enough to keep difficulties at bay.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,832

memcneil70 said:

Sleipnir could be used for SciFi on another planet. And for Odin.

Fun fact for you: it's widely thought that Sleipnir has eight legs because the horse symbolically represents the four men (with their eight legs) needed to carry a coffin or bier.

For this to make sense, you need to know that Odin probably began as a god of death, and even after he graduated to being the All-Father, the supreme god, there was still a lot of death-related imagery associated with him. Yggdrasil, the World Tree, on which he hung for nine nights to acquire wisdom, is thought to mean "Ygg's horse" ('Ygg' was another name for Odin). That's the literal meaning, although another reading was "Ygg's gallows". And Odin's companion ravens, Hugin ("Thought") and Munin ("Memory"), are, of course, carrion birds that eat the dead.

Another fun fact about Sleipnir; he's the child of the god Loki, who had sex with the stallion Sva∂ilfari and later gave birth to an eight-legged horse (as one does). Sleipnir is not the oddest of Loki's children: he also fathered the death-goddess Hel, the monstrous wolf Fenrir, and the world-serpent Jörmungandr.

Moral: if you have sex with Loki (and if you take Loki's word for it, pretty much everyone did), you should absolutely use protection.