I need help

Hi everyone, I am fairly new to Daz Studio so I apologize if this topic is somewhere else in the forums I'm not really sure where to search so I figured I should just make my own thread. What I am trying to do is make a racing game in Unity and use characters from Daz to be my drivers. I want to use racing gear (helmets, suits, etc). As Daz does not come with those items, I decided to start making them. I have currently modeled a helmet in blender. It looks really good in my opinion I can add an attachment later if you want to see it. (Currently it's missing a lot of detail such as the visor, bolts, and other stuff such as uv mapping; right now its just a basic mold but overall I really like it so far). Anyway, how do you import it into Daz and make it a wearable piece of clothing that adjust itself depening on the shape of the character. I exported it as an obj and was able to import it into Daz as an obj but it was way too small and I think Daz recognized it as a scenery object opposed to an actual piece of clothing. If anyone has experience doing this please help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Generally when converting an object to clothing it should be modelled in place and scale. But to correct these you can Move and resize your obj once imported into DS into the correct position/size with the associated figure. Then hide or delete everything but your helmet. export it at 100% scale. Then reimport the item and it will be Zeroed and the correct scale. It's best to export the base figure with SUBD off into your modeller for reference.

Generally for something rigid like a helmet I would model to fit the I wanted it for and then parent it rather than conforming it to the head. If you choose to conform it as an item of clothing you will need to do quite a bit of work to correct distortions from morphs. When a figures head morphs it will often change the proportions of the head, which will mangle a rigid like a helmet, without quite a lot of work (most likely in creating custom fits for each figure).   

Pics are always good :)

• joseph06joseph06 Posts: 125

Hi Anvil,

Thank you for the information; it did help I just resized and placed the helmet where I wanted it and then parented it to the head. For my purpose, I think that will work fine. I am kind of curious though how to actually "snap" the helmet onto my character. I would kind of like to actually assign the item as a piece of clothing as opposed to a regular object I'm not really sure if that's possible though or not I'll have to keep testing to see what I can find.

• Saving the item as you set up is general refered to as a smart prop, which is good for rigid items and hand props.

While a little old, this is not a bad place to start for creating clothing -

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/projects_overview/tutorials/items_that_fit_genesis/start