I want a Vulcan for Genesis 9

I want a Vulcan for Genesis 9.

Comments

• So makes me want to do a Vulcain model (engine from the Ariane 5 Launch vehicle)... ;)

What makes a Vulcan, when it comes down to it? Surely it's largely due to the restrained pose, elf ears and eyebrows. Eyebrows can be painted and applied by LIE. Can you do it? I know I wouldn't do it well.

Regards,

Richard.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,293
    edited January 2023
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,104

Wonder what advice I get if I say I want a ryukin for Daz Studio.  I don't know if there is any demand for a realistic 3D ryukin as they are kinda like a little fish?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,876

Richard Haseltine said:

or you could mix https://www.daz3d.com/kjaer-8-blacksmith-bundle and https://www.daz3d.com/gods-of-old-bundle

Remember that Hephaestus/Vulcan was deformed. When I depicted the Olympians, I went with Drutherson and gave him a club foot (that, as I so often do, I obscured with other things):

Merry Kronia

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,030

Sfariah said:

Wonder what advice I get if I say I want a ryukin for Daz Studio.  I don't know if there is any demand for a realistic 3D ryukin as they are kinda like a little fish?

https://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?mature=false&q=goldfish

Google search on 'ryukin'. I couldn't resist.

Regarding a 'Vulcan' did you want a 'Human-looking one with green skin, pointed ears, slanted eyebrows, bad hair like the 60s? Or the later ones with weird foreheads? Good luck on those, if so. Clothing, check out medieval, wizards, Japanese outfits.

• I remember a a kid being very confused having grown up with Star Trek, going to a garden display and one exhibit was entitled the Vulcan and it was a Volcano with a blacksmith forging an axe in the lava (made using red flowers)

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,876

memcneil70 said:

Regarding a 'Vulcan' did you want a 'Human-looking one with green skin, pointed ears, slanted eyebrows, bad hair like the 60s? Or the later ones with weird foreheads? Good luck on those, if so. Clothing, check out medieval, wizards, Japanese outfits.

The original idea for Leonard Nimoy's Spock was that he'd have green skin, but I think they abandoned that idea before any actual filming was done. It kind of sounds like you're confusing Vulcans for Klingons (though Klingons weren't green, either).

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,340

Gordig said:

memcneil70 said:

The original idea for Leonard Nimoy's Spock was that he'd have green skin, but I think they abandoned that idea before any actual filming was done. It kind of sounds like you're confusing Vulcans for Klingons (though Klingons weren't green, either).

Or Romulans; "modern" Romulans from the northern hemisphere of Romulas have ridges on their forehead while those from the southern hemisphere have smooth foreheads.

-- Walt Sterdan 

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,593

Gordig said:

memcneil70 said:

Even earlier, they had considered red skin to really emphasize a devilish appearance contrasting with his quiet demeaner.  However, when viewed upon a black'n'white TV sets (still the majority in US households at the time), it came across looking more like minstrel "black face".  So, they opted for a greenish theme instead that would register as "pale" upon monochrome TVs instead, subtle yellows for the highlights and plae greens for the shadow contours.  The distinctive hues were "registered" in some way. (I don't know the specifics, but it meant the mixtures could be recreated years laterif required.)  As a result, these formulas were given a code starting with the letters "LN"...for Leonard Nimoy.

Actually I may have mixed up Vulcans and Romulans, as they are cousins. I went onto Memory Alpha, but the new website design is so full of commercials it is almost impossible to use. I did note that Spock's eyebrows changed radically overtime. They offered a reason for his skin I had never heard at the time.

I don't stream all the iterations of the Star Trek universe, but I was there for the first showing of Star Trek in the 1960s and for me that was the standard. I remember the issue with Spock's makeup having an issue. What I remember is the film developers thought the green skin was a error in development and 'corrected' it to look 'human'. So that was given up. I think this was either in a Star Trek magazine or the TV Guide back then. We had a color TV so I saw it that way from the start.

The rough, ridged brows that it seems all non-human's were graced with after the initial series was a turn off for me. The Klingons just seem to get worse over time. What is the biological reasoning behind them? Or the noses that have ridges? Do the ridges do anything for their species?

And if a PA makes a morph pack, do they think through what the morphs do for an 'alien' or 'fantasy' character's face or body beyond the obvious?

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,593

The green skin test that resulted in "color correction"confusion was meant for the Orion "green animal woman" as Dr. Boyce described her.  Susan Oliver was not available (whether or not she had alreacy been chosen for the role of Vina I do not know), Gene Roddenberry's mistress (and future wife) Majel Barrett served as the test subject.

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1109272148500271104/photo/1

As for some Next Gen makeups having brow pieces, particularly the Romulans, I have a theory that is NOT backed with any printed sources.  So take what I have to say with a grain of salt.  Meh, make it a salt "brick" one might offer ro a deer.  The brow pieces eliminated the need to work with the performer's eyebrows, which usually meant shaving them if they wanted that truly "elegant" look.  It also, in theory saved a bit of time because the makeup artists did not have to futz with the brows.  As they were already glued to the foam rubber pieces, the ridges were siply glued inyto place and they were ready to go.  As to why so many aliens had "distinctive" brows in Next Gen...  It was a quick visual cue for the "general" audince (not us passionate fans) that this person was not human and since we tend to look as faces first, boom, we see this element immediately.  Why the forehead and not, say, the chin or cheeks?  That region is normally smooth and large enough to serve as an easy "canvas".  It also tends to flex less than the lower half of the face, meaning it's less likely for the appliances to peel loose.  When you think about it, even Jack Pierce's iconic Frankenstein's Monster makeup for Boris Karloff used this philosophy; or I should say, pioneered it.

@Redfern, I had forgotten about the Orions. After 55 years, my memory is spotted for that period. Your explanation for the forehead piece is reasonable. Thank you, I had never thought about that aspect before.

Mary

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,104

Oops I forgot to tell you what a Vulcan looks like.