Body Paint

Wondering if I can turn a pair of shorts and a tank top for G2/G3 into, "body paint" by setting the bump map to pure white.  Would that make the clothing appear, "painited on"?

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Only if the clothing items were skin-tight.  However, I'm guessing they probably are not, they are probably modeled to be slightly larger than the body and have seams and pieces sticking out.  If you want a painted-on look, ideally you would actually paint right on (a copy of) the figure's material.

I really don't know what I'm doing with smoothing because I haven't tried it enough, but maybe you could try it and see what it does:     Select the clothing item, then from the menu select Edit > Figure > Geometry > "Apply Smoothing Modifier". In the Parameters tab, click on the group General>"Mesh Smoothing" to show only those parameters.  Try raising Smoothing Iterations a few times, maybe up to 6. Don't be afraid to change from base shape matching to Generic to see which one gives you the best results, it's very mesh dependent and you can never tell without trying.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    tring01 said:

Wondering if I can turn a pair of shorts and a tank top for G2/G3 into, "body paint" by setting the bump map to pure white.  Would that make the clothing appear, "painited on"?

No...making the bump pure white will just appear to move the entire item by the 'max' amount...if it's 0.1, then it would appear to move it by 1 mm AWAY from the skin.

• tring01tring01 Posts: 305
    mjc1016 said:
    tring01 said:

No...making the bump pure white will just appear to move the entire item by the 'max' amount...if it's 0.1, then it would appear to move it by 1 mm AWAY from the skin.

Ah.  So the bump map would need to be all black, not white.

Another option would be to take the image of the clothing article and just add it as a layer over the appropriate place on the figure skin.  That should work, no?

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Bump maps don't actually move the mesh they just give the illusion of high and low spots on the surface.  If you want the clothing a little tighter you could try add a Push modifier to it and set the offset to a slight negative value.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    tring01 said:

Another option would be to take the image of the clothing article and just add it as a layer over the appropriate place on the figure skin.  That should work, no?

That would only work if the surface materials are arranged in exactly the same way, which I assume they are not.  Select the surface of your  tank top and look at the thumbnail of the diffuse parameter in the Surfaces pane, then select the surface of the figure's chest in the same spot and look at that.  Note the difference.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    jestmart said:

Bump maps don't actually move the mesh they just give the illusion of high and low spots on the surface.  If you want the clothing a little tighter you could try add a Push modifier to it and set the offset to a slight negative value.

Or move the bump map to the displacement channel...if using 3Delight (as it has much more efficient/better displacement capabilities than Iray does).