Chinatown in Carrara, OBJs

Guys

I just saw Chinatown from Stonemason over in the Marketplace.

I have been pestering him about that damned project for years, he finally makes it and it is DUF format!

Has anyone given this a try in Carrara?

I'm running C7Pro. I would try the OBJs he includes, but the last time (in the London set) no effort was made to have the OBJs load where they should, so they all stacked in the middle of the screen, completely untextured. Being a massive set, this was not good because I had to add the textures one by one and I had NO idea how to position the buildings.

Just curious if anyone has tried the OBJs and could someone post a Carrara render?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038

Not bought it but an obj export from DAZ studio was reasonable for Old London just some UV's on streets needed ticking in wrap.

Old London loads obj's in place in Poser if positioning and scale etc unchecked so this should too.

if no Poser then Blender may be the next option it worked for the NASA light wave object of ISS that nothing else loaded in place and exported textures too, test on Old London first as Stonemason would be consistent with his  workflow.

Remember too DS is free after all and a good Carrara plugin for exporting duf content as obj.

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited August 2015

I bought it a little while ago. I use 8.5, so I don't know how 7 will react.  The set does include obj and mtl files (24 of each). 

I tried to import the obj into 8.5, but I was prompted to find a jpg that I couldn't find.  The browse wanted a file named "texturesstonemasonav1sctFacade3.jpg" but I could only find "sctFacade3.jpg" and couldn't make it work.  If I import the obj's and choose the default format everything seems to load in the center.  With the Poser or Daz formats, things load in otehr postions but I don't know if it's correct.  I don't recall if 7 had those import options....

I did load it in DS and export it as an obj.  One obj was created (and one MTL).  It loaded with everything in the right place in Carrara, but no textures.

So, I think there may be a way to make it work (rename the jpgs)...I just haven't tried that yet.

I loaded the 3D3light preset into Carrara and it looks flat to me.  I haven't tried any texture tweaks, though. I'll try to play wth lights and textures and render something.  Out of the box, I'm not loving it; but, it wasn't made for Carrara..

I don't want to discourage anyone from buying and trying it, though...maybe someone with some skill will have better luck in Carrara.

Post edited by Salem2007 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579

It sounds like a few edits on the .mtl woud solve the not finding textures problem.

• Leo ChenLeo Chen Posts: 697

There is an error in that scene!

The advertisement sign "椰林越南菜館" is wrong!.

Salem2007 said:

I bought it a little while ago. I use 8.5, so I don't know how 7 will react.  The set does include obj and mtl files (24 of each). 

I tried to import the obj into 8.5, but I was prompted to find a jpg that I couldn't find.  The browse wanted a file named "texturesstonemasonav1sctFacade3.jpg" but I could only find "sctFacade3.jpg" and couldn't make it work.  If I import the obj's and choose the default format everything seems to load in the center.  With the Poser or Daz formats, things load in otehr postions but I don't know if it's correct.  I don't recall if 7 had those import options....

I did load it in DS and export it as an obj.  One obj was created (and one MTL).  It loaded with everything in the right place in Carrara, but no textures.

So, I think there may be a way to make it work (rename the jpgs)...I just haven't tried that yet.

I loaded the 3D3light preset into Carrara and it looks flat to me.  I haven't tried any texture tweaks, though. I'll try to play wth lights and textures and render something.  Out of the box, I'm not loving it; but, it wasn't made for Carrara..

I don't want to discourage anyone from buying and trying it, though...maybe someone with some skill will have better luck in Carrara.

use the Bryce export convert maps option

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    Leo Chen said:

There is an error in that scene!

The advertisement sign "椰林越南菜館" is wrong!.

Google translate (which as we all know is always perfect wink) translates that as "Coconut Vietnamese Restaurant."  I'd eat there. laugh

• ncampncamp Posts: 345

It sounds like a few edits on the .mtl woud solve the not finding textures problem.

I edited the material file and had no luck, until I replaced the "\" in the path with "/" (backslash replaced with forwardslash). 

ncamp

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    tsarist said:

Guys

I just saw Chinatown from Stonemason over in the Marketplace.

I have been pestering him about that damned project for years, he finally makes it and it is DUF format! ...

I'm running C7Pro. I would try the OBJs he includes, but the last time (in the London set) no effort was made to have the OBJs load where they should, so they all stacked in the middle of the screen, completely untextured. Being a massive set, this was not good because I had to add the textures one by one and I had NO idea how to position the buildings.

Ouch.  I think I'll continue avoiding DUF files for some time to come ... just live with my ~70 Stonemason files in Poser format.  I recall some of those have an Asian flavor.

Salem2007 said:

Where is Bryce export convert maps option?

Salem2007 said:
    Salem2007 said:

obj export think need advanced or options expanded ticked whatever I cannot look right now has a checkbox

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Salem2007 said:
    Salem2007 said:

I gather it is in DS, but not sure why it would help for anything other than Bryce.   http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/dazstudio/reference/fm_exportobj

edited August 2015
    Salem2007 said:
    Salem2007 said:

obj export think need advanced or options expanded ticked whatever I cannot look right now has a checkbox

Found it--thanks!  Using that, I was able to create an obj that imported into Carrara with the textures and eveything was positioned correctly (it seems). 

CT.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 57K
    Post edited by Salem2007 on
    Chohole said:
    Salem2007 said:
    Salem2007 said:

I gather it is in DS, but not sure why it would help for anything other than Bryce.   http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/dazstudio/reference/fm_exportobj

maybe we have more in common than we think cheeky

Chohole said:
    Salem2007 said:
    Salem2007 said:

maybe we have more in common than we think cheeky

Hmm,   yes it does seem so.  How surprising

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Don't own it yet, but may pick it up.

Been thinking for a while that it might be of service to vendors if I (or anyone) took some of their scenes/sets and did the manual conversion to make them both Carrara and Octane-for-Carrara friendly (you know, saving as scene or object files in carrara format) then pming the venders in question and saying 'if you want to maybe add another download option in the store, here's a Carrara version ready to go'.  Not sure they'd appreciate me sticking my nose in like that though, on the other hand, it would add a extra line of customers for their products (of course Carrarists can use any of these sets anyway and convert them, but having a Carrara-shader ready version all set for a one-click solution would certainly be attractive to anyone on the fence, I would think).

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    Jonstark said:

...  having a Carrara-shader ready version all set for a one-click solution would certainly be attractive to anyone on the fence, I would think).

Yes it would, and I in fact do purchase items with a Carrara verison included more readily than other items.

edited September 2015

Just discovered something

the Bryce export option for obj not Stonemasons prop, another namely the digi destroyed mall only imports with textures in C8.1 not 8.5 though a duf import works fine in 8.5, it is however all on prop whereas obj import you can split it into bits in options but in DAZ studio it is also one solid prop so no loss in that respect.

just noting the obj importer seems borked or changed in 8.5

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • I bought this and yes had to untick U in UV wrapping on most objects, did all 30 just to be sure and saved though prob only some needed it.

Otherwise it works fine.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

if only they loved us and made carrara ready. :)

• We just need Carrara conversions of most stuff

edited February 2016

I cannot find the what works in Carrara thread and workarounds so will post here

Streets of Tuscany duf before and ufter U wrap unchecked on all the buildings, about half of the 80 meshes, still must check plants and rocks

also creased edges on 3 rounded buildings

out box octane.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 656K
    more fixes.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 634K
  • while going via hexagon looks good, the mapping is correct, I get errors with saving car files that continue despite validate or if they work get an error has occured trying to import or open it in carrara

Hexagon just hates me

edited February 2016

FBX import has correct mapping

FBX parametric shaders are a bugger to work with though finding stuff

FBX import.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 668K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited February 2016

Glad I no longer buy stonemason's products since he dropped direct  support for poser .....

That is, dropped support for Carrara  

ps can you use the Dson to get it into poser? 

Post edited by Headwax on

Actually Andrew, be fair the Stonemason,  he did agree to include an OBJ and associated MTL file to his products, even though he is no longer doing a direct Poser download.

edited February 2016
    Chohole said:

Actually Andrew, be fair the Stonemason,  he did agree to include an OBJ and associated MTL file to his products, even though he is no longer doing a direct Poser download.

thanks Pam, I don't understand why Wendy is having to jump through hoops though? 

Edit... Sorry I do understand why, but it is far too much work to get it to work in carrara

Post edited by Headwax on

I have a feeling that he may have forgotten to include it when he was preparing it for release, but he did say in his Commercial thread that it will be added, as he has done with other products lately

Thanks Pam , hard to imagine it could be 'forgotten' /overlooked ;)

edited February 2016

Stonemason is a very busy man.  3D products are only part of his workload. It is sometimes quite interesting reading his threads, when he does chat a little.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Actually it loads correctly into Poser using the D3D DSON loader script but I have not tried opening that saved  pz3 in Carrara.