eye dropper tool

can someone tell me exactly how to use the eye dropper tool, after clicking on an object what's supposed to happen?

the eye dropper changes but I don't see any results

thanks

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

Most of the one's I've used just select a color for you.That way you can find out what a color is so you can use it somewhere else.For example, if I used it to click on the forum banner it will tell me that the forum banner is #222A30 (RGB 34, 42, 48)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

You can use the eyedropper to load the color from one object and then apply it to another.  In the attached, I click the eyedropper tool which appears empty (white), then click on the red sphere which loads the eyedropper with red (eyedropper appears full / black) then click on the green cube.  The red from the eyedropper is then applied to the cube, converting the cube from green to red.

eyedropper 1.JPG
    1021 x 752 - 79K
    eyedropper 2.JPG
    980 x 761 - 76K
  • mhscspomhscspo Posts: 101

Thanks, I can use it now!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited August 2015
    Well, color me impressed. I never even bothered with trying it. I guess I was so used to not using it, I just forgot about it. It just goes to prove that even the Carrara old timers can still be schooled!
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    Well, color me impressed. I never even bothered with trying it. I guess I was so used to not using it, I just forgot about it. It just goes to prove that even the Carrara old timers can still be schooled!

WHAT??? THERE'S AN EYEDROPPER TOOL??? smiley

Does it work with textures too or just colors?

It does work with complex textures, but I couldn't get it to work on a model with multiple shading domains (a V4 and a clothing item). Maybe it wants the same UVs? I'll have to load in a duplicate figure to see if I can transfer shaders from one domain, say the torso, and transfer it to another figure with the same torso domain.
    I tried transferring textures between identical shading domains on two different V4s and it didn't work. I'll have to try a simple model with multiple domains to see if that works. As mentioned above, I was able to transfer a complex texture that used some procedural functions and image maps from one object to another, but so far, rigged Poser style figures with multiple shading domains, such as a V4 don't seem to work. Bummer.
  • mhscspomhscspo Posts: 101
    I tried transferring textures between identical shading domains on two different V4s and it didn't work. I'll have to try a simple model with multiple domains to see if that works. As mentioned above, I was able to transfer a complex texture that used some procedural functions and image maps from one object to another, but so far, rigged Poser style figures with multiple shading domains, such as a V4 don't seem to work. Bummer.

That's why I initially thought it didn't work, the eye dropper needs to be updated so it can function with different objects.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited August 2015

Ah, I like a lot these kind of questions, especially if they impress EP !
    It is much more interesting all the same than to speculate on DAZ3D.
    Diomède explains how it works, but not the place where is located this tool, if somebody can specify, thank you to him (or her)…

Post edited by DUDU on
  • kakmankakman Posts: 225
    DUDU said:

Diomède explains how it works, but not the place where is located this tool, if somebody can specify, thank you to him (or her)…

It is located on the upper left hand side between the Universal Manipulator and the Create IK Chain tools.

Thanks, interesting tool, I'm gonna use it !

edited August 2015

DUDU, please let us know your results if you can. What works, what does not work? That sort of thing.

DUDU said:

Yeah, it's beginning to sound a lot like the Renderosity Carrara forum, whic is why I tend not to go there very often. After all is said and done, it's just a bunch of speculative waffling in my opinion.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

oh i don't know, i read the manual every christmas at the lunch table  when my wife makes me visit her family... they think i'm rude ...

ep rendo carrara forum is where we go to stop being 1984d

to quote Brian ..

To apply a shader from another object:

1. Select the Eyedropper tool.

1. Click an object in the Assemble, Storyboard room, or Scene Preview window to “grab” its shader.

2. Click the Eyedropper on an object to apply the shader.

Press Shift+click to apply the shader and keep the Eyedropper “full” of the current shader so you can apply it to additional objects.

Press Cmd/Ctrl+click to select a different shader instead of applying the shader currently selected by the Eyedropper tool.

To apply a shader from an object in another scene:

1. Select the Eyedropper tool and click to “grab” the shader from an object in the document or Scene Preview window.

2. Switch scenes using the Scene Preview window. Refer to Scene Preview to learn how.

3. Click an object to apply the shader. The shader is automatically added to the Sequencer as a Master Shader.

DUDU, please let us know your results if you can. What works, what does not work? That sort of thing.

DUDU said:

Yeah, it's beginning to sound a lot like the Renderosity Carrara forum, whic is why I tend not to go there very often. After all is said and done, it's just a bunch of speculative waffling in my opinion.

I have the same results as yours EP, it only works with the global shaders and don't take in account the shading domains.

If that work with some props, it don't work with characters at all.

However, it can be usefull in many cases to save time.

• YofielYofiel Posts: 204

Thank you VERY MUCH for the explanation! Puzzled me a long time. FYI, for sampling colors from other materials (when you just want a color in a material, and not the material itself) there is a simple utility called instant eyederopper for Windows (works on Windows 10): 

http://instant-eyedropper.com/

It installs in the system tray and loads at startup (tiny app will have no perceptible impact on system load time). Its instructions are:

1. Move the mouse pointer to the Instant Eyedropper icon in the system tray
    2. Press and hold the left mouse button.The color under the moise pointer appears in a popup window and changes to the current color when you move the mouse around. 
    3. move the mouse pointer to the pixel whose color you want to identify and release the mouse button.
    4. That's it. The clipboard now contains the color code, in RGB format (or any other format that you have previously chosen in the right-click options).

It can be pasted and used in any text or HTML editor or the Color Picker tool of Photoshop.