DAZ Studio 4.8 can´t save textures

Hi!

Maybe this is an easy thing to solve but I must admit I am totally lost when it comes to DAZ file structure and hierarchy when saving new objects.

I have modeled and textured a couple of beer cans in Lightwave with correct UV-maps before I´ve exported them as OBJ-files to be opened in DAZ Studio 4.8. 

Earlier I did this without any problems but now they appear without UV texture maps with an with extremely high ambient factor. They look more like snow cans than old beer cans with logos, rust and buckles.

Ok, so I spend some minutes in correcting them and add the textures on the UV-information on the OBJ file without any problem but... when I close down and restart my DAZ Studio 4.8.to check out the OBJ files with the newly edited and saved textures the beer can opens up without any textures at all but with an extremely high ambient factor... again.

What am I doing wrong... or is it a bug in the new version of DAZ?

Regards, Jack

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

You either need to save as a Figure/Prop asset or export as an obj, again, after you retexture them in Studio. 

Obj is an ancient format that has some pretty odd restrictions, by today's standards.  It is very picky on file names and locations.  Also only alpha-numeric characters in the name, no spaces, etc.  For the least problems, the mtl file, obj file and texture files should all be in the same folder, too.

My preferrence is to save as a Figure/Prop asset.  Then the obj file becomes immaterial and everything is in Studio native format.

• jaxtonejaxtone Posts: 73

Hi mjc!

Thank´s for trying to helt and I guess you meant that I should save as a "Property" file since the "Figure" or Figure/Prop saving assets doesn´t excist in Studio 4.8. The only "Save as" alternative that are closest related to what you just wrote is to save as Property and I guess that will do fine. 

Anyhow let's forget about that and take a look at my attached image that shows how I did and where I save the file. I hope Im on the right track here, otherwise I hope you can show me the best way of doing this!

Regards, Jack

Here is the image as well!

DAZ_Save01.jpg
    1918 x 1080 - 805K
  • File>Save as>Support Assets>Figure/prop Asset.

edited August 2015

Wow thank´s Richard!

I followed your instructions and directed the beercan to a chosen directory with a definition of it as a Default/Property.

However, when I restart DAZ the newly saved file can´t be found anywhere as a property item!

It just appears in a scene file but that´s not what I want! How can I make it appear as an item in the Actors, wardrope and props window in DAZ?

Jack

Post edited by jaxtone on
  • JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758

Daz moves it to a new location... Depending on what "Asset" you saved it as... (But does not tell you where that is.)

In smart-content it may show in "Unassigned"... Until you add metadat to identify it as something. That can be used to locate the item's placement within the DAZ file-structure. (I assume "My Daz Stuff/data/YourID", or "My Daz Stuff/Runtime/Geometries/YourID", or "My Daz Stuff/Props/YourID".) Just guessing here... I have not tested each individual "File Save" type, to see where it places everything. This is just where I KNOW some of my things have landed, by having the same issue as you... Lack of knowledge and lack of instruction, from Daz-processes.

May have to update the database by telling it to search for new files, in "Known locations". Though, my items usually show right away... Most times... (May have to hover your mouse over the icon-area to force it to redraw the icons, or refresh the folder tree in DAZ's file explorer.)

edited August 2015

It seems to me that DAZ is some kind of mental torture instrument when it comes to the hierarchy of how files are saved or found :)

I'll get to bed now before my eyes will pop out but will take a look at this tomorrow as soon as the suns rises!

But I need to know more about how to add Metadata!

Thanks!

Post edited by jaxtone on
  • The file you saved should appear in the location you set in the Content Library pane under DAZ Studio Formats>content library you saved to>folder you save to>filename. You should not have placed the file inside the Runtime or Data folders in your content directory. If you did not save to a  location in your content directory you will need to use File>Open or File>Merge to bring it in. As JD_Mortal says it should also be in the Unassigned category.

Thanks for trying to help! 

I have read both of your information a couple of times and guess it is just a matter of time before the information hits the fan. But as it is now there is still a huge problem with making the Beercan visual in the left panel where all the other products are seen. I deliver an image with some map locations for my Beercan and there might be too many of them but I am just trying to make my beer official any way possible.

So what have I done wrong?

DAZ_Save02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

It will only appear in the Smart Content if you add Metadata.

Wilmap!

And how is that done?

jaxtone said:

Thanks for trying to help! 

I have read both of your information a couple of times and guess it is just a matter of time before the information hits the fan. But as it is now there is still a huge problem with making the Beercan visual in the left panel where all the other products are seen. I deliver an image with some map locations for my Beercan and there might be too many of them but I am just trying to make my beer official any way possible.

So what have I done wrong?

Here is another image of the Content Directory Manager! 

DAZ_Save03.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1005K
    jaxtone said:

Wilmap!

And how is that done?

Just find this one! Do you think that is up to date?

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/packaging/tutorials/adding_metadata/start