Starry night sky domes

rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
edited August 2015 in Bryce Discussion

Actual starry niigt sky dome that moves with time, days, seasons, and location of viewer.

Is this possible or has it been done for Bryce.

What we can see from earth into the sky is consistent.

There is definitely movement of the star field,  but the stars actually remain static in relation to each other.

There are some applications that do this, but I'm not aware of any that allow frame capture and export for making videos.

I probably don't need a full all out application for this, with regard to location.

Several viewing locations on eath will probably be sufficient for what I am doing.

Maybe tropic of cancer, capricorn, equator, north pole, and a few other other latitude and longitude locations.

Hope i explained well enough.

Most important, I don't jsut want a bunch of stars that aren't realistically placed.

This will be a training video, and it has to be accurate.

The stars don't move in relation to each other, and when the star fields move...all the stars move simultaneously as they have for thousands of years.

It may be a package of a half dozen or so sky domes is all I need.

Post edited by rampart_1576840087 on

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,264
    edited August 2015

If the Custom Field is selected, the default position shows our sky at the spring solstice, provided the camera looks north (all rotation angles of the camera 0 - not the directors). All stars down to magnitude 6 are there. Planets and deep sky objects are missing. The starfield appears to be an image. If you rotate it (difficult to do this precisely because numerical input is missing; do it with the camera may be better), the stars stay at the same distance from each other. This starfield can be used to show constellations, but not for what you have in mind, if I understand you correctly.

Post edited by Horo on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2015

Mentioned the FREE Stellarium software (stars, planets, celestial objects etc.,), which is excellent, in another thread. You can do screen-capture in this 'ware okay, but for making movies using it I'm not sure/don't think so. You could, however, PAY (Euro 257.0, $287.0) for the screen-recording software Camtasia, which then could be used with Stellarium (and other astro-wares, too). In general, Bryce stars look good just for nighttime background shots and rendered works. You can do animation/screen-capture with the starry background too in Bryce, but the starry dome is just that...a starry dome, and so it really is just a static viewport that you point the camera at.

Jay

PS. I have no connection to the above-mentioned 'wares.

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,947

NASA have an equilatral panorama composite of the Milky Way, full spherically mapped sky that is huge  I use a lot in my programs and open footage.net a  smaller HDRi of the same image

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,947

Then there is this thing

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/427491/#Comment_427491

it loads in Blender as actual stars in 3D