Rotation Inconsistency...

In DS 4.8.9.59:

I created a 1m plane.

Pic 1 -- If I rotate in this order: Z90, X45, all the rotations are consistently applied on the local axes.

Pic 2 -- If I rotate in this order: X90, Z45 it appears that the Z rotation is being applied on its global axis.

Can someone tell me how to make object rotations consistent, please?

Z90_X45.jpg
1920 x 1200 - 370K
X90_Z45.jpg
1920 x 1200 - 356K

Comments

• Rotation is not commutative, at least using the three Euclidean axes.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

What you're getting is called Gimbal Lock. The easiest fix, if you're manipulating a simple prop, is to create a null and parent the prop to it; that gives you the extra axis of rotation mentioned in the linked Wiki article. Things can get complicated if you're manipulating a body part of a figure, though.

• Rotation is not commutative, at least using the three Euclidean axes.

Thanks Richard.  I'm not expecting the same result, just consistent behaviour.

• What you're getting is called Gimbal Lock. The easiest fix, if you're manipulating a simple prop, is to create a null and parent the prop to it; that gives you the extra axis of rotation mentioned in the linked Wiki article. Things can get complicated if you're manipulating a body part of a figure, though.

Gimbal Lock -- Is that a new DS feature or bug?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Neither...it is something I can remember happening in past versions.  And as to being a 'bug'...if you want to count it as a bug in reality, then go ahead. Yes, you are manipulating something that isn't real, but are doing so in a mathematically 'accurate' way.  So, the closer you get to simulating reality, the more real limits and real problems.   And the rotation controls are pretty close to 'real'.