Questions about MetaMixer by Faux2D

I don't know if this is the correct forum category. If not, please move the thread to the correct one. I'm a bit confused by all the MetaMixer products and don't actually know what I need and what I don't need. Ok, first I need the MetaMixer Toolkit. But in order to know if this product is actually what I'm searching for and to make it easier to decide what I could need in addition, here are some question that need to be answered. 

1. Do I really need those preselected characters (and add-ons) in order to use the toolkit? Or can I also use the default G8 head or any other random G8 character as the base? 
2. If yes, can I use MetaMixer to add HD face details to any non-HD character?
3. The 3,400 morphs that are included in "MetaMixer 25 Male Faces" are those HD morphs or non-HD? The same question applies to the 885 morphs included in "MetaMixer PLUS".
4. Why is "MetaMixer 25 Male Faces" called "male faces" when you can also use them for female characters? What is the "25 male faces" related to? Face presets? And if yes, why there are no female face presets as well?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

One cannot use female faces on males because the "faces" contain morphs and morphs are base figure dependent

The MetaMixer character packages are the character's head morphs divided into some 68 separate submorphs that can be independently used - One can for example choose to use George's nose, Merlin's left ear and Michael's right ear

One can use any characters HD head morphs on any other character, because they are all morphs of the same base figure (G8M for example), one doesn't need MetaMixer for that, just dial in the HD morphs

• GhatanothoaGhatanothoa Posts: 59
    edited February 2023

PerttiA said:

One cannot use female faces on males because the "faces" contain morphs and morphs are base figure dependent

The MetaMixer character packages are the character's head morphs divided into some 68 separate submorphs that can be independently used - One can for example choose to use George's nose, Merlin's left ear and Michael's right ear

One can use any characters HD head morphs on any other character, because they are all morphs of the same base figure (G8M for example), one doesn't need MetaMixer for that, just dial in the HD morphs

Please carefully read my questions. This isn't what I wanted know. You have answered 0 out of my 4 questions. So please read them again and try once more.

You should also read the product description of "MetaMixer 25 Male Faces". There it clearly reads: 
    "It is compatible with Genesis 8 and Genesis 8.1, both Male and Female figures. Comprised of a total of 3,400 morphs (1,700 for the Male figure and 1,700 for the Female)."
    So it seems that you can actually use it for G8F as well, although the product is named "MetaMixer 25 Male Faces", which is confusing. So I did ask what is meant exactly with "25 male faces" and, if those are presets, why it doesn't contain female face presets as well (probably this can only be answered by the PA himself).

And obviously, this product is NOT just a mixer. These products already come with hundreds of morphs! Now I still wait for the answer if the included morphs in those products are HD morphs or not (if these products provide standalone HD morphs to be exact) and if these morphs can be applied to ANY G8 character using the toolkit or if I 
    imperatively need any of those preselected characters (add-ons) as a base to start with.

Post edited by Ghatanothoa on
  • Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452

Ghatanothoa said:

I don't know if this is the correct forum category. If not, please move the thread to the correct one. I'm a bit confused by all the MetaMixer products and don't actually know what I need and what I don't need. Ok, first I need the MetaMixer Toolkit. But in order to know if this product is actually what I'm searching for and to make it easier to decide what I could need in addition, here are some question that need to be answered. 

1. Do I really need those preselected characters (and add-ons) in order to use the toolkit? Or can I also use the default G8 head or any other random G8 character as the base? 
    2. If yes, can I use MetaMixer to add HD face details to any non-HD character?
    3. The 3,400 morphs that are included in "MetaMixer 25 Male Faces" are those HD morphs or non-HD? The same question applies to the 885 morphs included in "MetaMixer PLUS".
    4. Why is "MetaMixer 25 Male Faces" called "male faces" when you can also use them for female characters? What is the "25 male faces" related to? Face presets? And if yes, why there are no female face presets as well?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

The toolkit can mix features together (this requires MM character presets) but it also has a bunch of universal controls like moving features around, scaling them, rotating them, etc. These universal controls do not require any MM character presets.

For mixing features of several characters, MM can only use specific MM character presets. These presets can be in either a base resolution or HD resolution. Usually the base morphs and the HD details are separated in most MM character presets.

The 25 Male Faces bundle are HD morphs (which include by default base morphs) but only up to SubDivision 2. Unlike other MM character presets, these morphs are not separated into a base and HD morphs.

MetaMixer PLUS is an add-on to the toolkit. It lets you move around every polygon of the face. So basically it's like the universal controls mentioned above but with a more in-depth control. It can also add assymmetry to the face. The controls that just shape facial features (not based on a MM character preset) are base resolution morphs.

It's "male faces" because the sculpts are of male faces but they can be used on the female genesis figure as well. These are MM character presets, basically a total of 25 character presets. If you wish MM toolkit can even turn them into female using the F/M control.

There are no "25 Female Faces" because I got sidetracked with other projects and didn't make a product of that sort.