Elf ears with which can move, up, down and droop

I would like elf ears that can sort of move up (as in alert), down (sort of drooping when sad or threatened), etc. I want them to be the same base shape, but just move them up down, or back. 

Comments

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,378

Serene Night said:

I would like elf ears that can sort of move up (as in alert), down (sort of drooping when sad or threatened), etc. I want them to be the same base shape, but just move them up down, or back. 

For which figure?  I have to confess that I never imagined Elves to have mobile ears; I always looked at them as close genetic cousins since you have characters like Elrond Half Elven.  I looked to see how long ago we shared ancestors with a creature that could move its ears like that.  So something like a neanderthal is separated separated about 500,000 years ago and our last ear moving  ancestors were 30 million years ago.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,600

I think especially in animation such as this, flexible ears with movements would be useful

https://www.deviantart.com/idahl/art/Nelyo-animation-609779804

Serene Night said:

I think especially in animation such as this, flexible ears with movements would be useful

https://www.deviantart.com/idahl/art/Nelyo-animation-609779804

Ooh, that unnerved me; sorry, I was trained as a biologist!

That's okay, I find it cute. smiley I think especially if creatures are being animated flexible ears would be useful.

Serene Night said:

That's okay, I find it cute. smiley I think especially if creatures are being animated flexible ears would be useful.

Oh, I think of you as the queen of elves so no criticism intended.  It is just a paradigm shift; I always thought of elves as primates like humans hence no prehensile ears but if they were closer to rodents or horses...  I suspect that there isn't enough resolution to actually do it without using a geograft and then rigging a geograft since the ears have no bones.  I don't think morphs would work.

edited February 2023

There is some interesting lore on elven ears, but while the animation is somewhat rapid the effect is sort of what I want. The ability to slightly move them up and down and swivel them would be cool. This is a trend I've seen in art lately moving the elf ears about,and wanted to see if it was possible. It ads a certain emotion to the scenes when they are moved slightly in addition to regular expressions..

I suppose I see it as somewhat deer-like?

it could be useful for other hybrid creatures like fauns, cat people etc.

Post edited by Serene Night on

I haven't seen any products like this yet; as I said, my guess is would be that it would have to be geograft because of the lack of bones for animation.  I like the deer idea. It seems reminiscent of Asian forest spirits.

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

I would think you could bend them with Mesh Grabber and get decent results