Disappearing Images in Gallery

David RDavid R Posts: 220
edited February 2023 in Art Studio

Lately I have discovered that at least 3 images in my DAZ gallery have disappeared.  I don't mean that they were taken down for TOS issues, they're just gone. Has anyone else had this happen or know why it happens?  

Thanks

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,622

Not that I have seen. Are they gone for yourself or everyone, perhaps you have accidentally depublished them? Maybe someone has flagged/reported a few of your images? Whether right or wrong that may have caused them to disappear pending a mod check?

• David RDavid R Posts: 220

SofaCitizen said:

Not that I have seen. Are they gone for yourself or everyone, perhaps you have accidentally depublished them? Maybe someone has flagged/reported a few of your images? Whether right or wrong that may have caused them to disappear pending a mod check?

My experience is that if an image is taken down it is left in the gallery as an "unpublished" image.  No this is complete disappearance.  I know one other artist who's had this happen.

• Moved to Art Studio as it is not a Daz Studio topic.

David R said:

My experience is that if an image is taken down it is left in the gallery as an "unpublished" image.  No this is complete disappearance.  I know one other artist who's had this happen.

Perhaps, I haven't had any incidents like that so was making an assumption. Can you find any similarities with the works that you and the other artist have had removed? No idea if there has been an update to the gallery codebase but if there has then maybe the update has broken something.

One thing I did notice recently was that I moved an image from one albumn to another and the new album does not show up in the list - not quite the same since the image is still there in the newest list.

• David RDavid R Posts: 220

The only thiing they have in commmon is that they were posted in the July/August 22 timeframe.  I know the Gallery is buggy and suspect this is the reason.

Yeah, it could very well be done to bugginess. July was too early for me but I do have 4 posted from August - as far as I can remember I don't think I posted anymore that month so I don't think any are missing. Not that this means much since the forum bugginess is always somewhat random.

I would like to think that if any moderator action was taken then you'd get an email relating to that to explain things and/or they would be in a de-published state (as you already mentioned) with a note in the moderator feedback box. So presumably if you had no notification like that then it's probably OK to re upload those.

The other thing to ask is: did you actually definitely upload them to the Daz Gallery? - perhaps you only uploaded them to a gallery on a different site and never got round to posting them here?

• junkjunk Posts: 1,245
    edited February 2023

The Daz Gallery has a few glitches and telling support seems to have had no difference IMO.  For example, if a gallery image has say 20 likes, someone decides to unlike the image, the count could jump to some high number like 70 or drop down to 1.  For me that happened the other day and it dropped to 1 like.  It stayed there for 1 1/2 days until someone came by and added another like to it.  Then it jumped back to normal or at least I think it went back to the normal count.

Another bug or more just completely badly written code is that the more people you "like" their images, the slower the gallery gets.  For me, on a gigabit home service, with a super fast Ryzen overclocked to 4.8GHz, 64GB of RAM, 4TB NVME fastest rated PCIE4 drive I can wait up to 30 seconds between loading one page of the gallery to the next.  If I LOGOUT, the pages load in under 1 second each.  Log back in, and I'm back to waiting up to 30 seconds per page.  Crap code!  I've told support a total of three times about this being unacceptable.  Other artists also say the same thing like Kibosh and x87 (who no longer posts renders but said it was like sending a message to Mars and waiting for a response).

Also, like you, I tried to create a new folder and it seems eat images.  I tried to rename a folder and it disappeared.  Just crazy stuff to where I no longer create or even mess with folders.  I think my whole gallery would disappear if I tried anything.  I have such little faith in the Daz Gallery programmers.

I hope you find your missing images.  Personally I think you shouldn't use folders anymore but that is my two cents.

Post edited by junk on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,209

The whole gallery redevelopment caused loss of functionality and performance. I seldom post anything there anymore, or even try to look at the gallery. I think the last time I used the gallery was to upload something so I could link it a forum post, because the equally bad forum refused to accept image uploads for a few days.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

The gallery is, before & after the new layout scheme, much to slow to browse and look at other's art. As far as posting there, 15 minutes to post a render is reasonably good, considering how much time was used to create & render a scene to begin with.

The new layout of the gallery does look head & shoulders better than the old gallery layout, which looked kind of 1990s really.

• I haven't had my images entirely disappear (I think), but the "likes" on some of them have disappeared. It causes them to not appear on the top banner of my gallery anymore so that they are no longer seen as before. Example.... Hazel the Domestic Engineer | Daz 3D

Oh, that is odd. I hadn't noticed that myself since most of my images I don't really expect any likes but for yours to have so many comments but still be sitting at 1 does indicate that something is wrong there.

I imagine that any upgrade/replacement to the gallery will go hand-in-hand with the forums and so will probably have to wait till after DS5 since that's where most of the development effort will be going. Not that it would be the exact same people working on both necessarily but there would be some cross-over in terms of resource and funding.

• Well that image is magically back the way it should have been. I wonder whom I have to thank?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,435

azoohouse said:

I haven't had my images entirely disappear (I think), but the "likes" on some of them have disappeared. It causes them to not appear on the top banner of my gallery anymore so that they are no longer seen as before. Example.... Hazel the Domestic Engineer | Daz 3D

I believe users can, unlike images that they've "liked" if they wish, I could be wrong though—been a while since I've been in the gallery.

frank0314 said:

I believe users can, unlike images that they've "liked" if they wish, I could be wrong though—been a while since I've been in the gallery.

Well, in this instance it would have been very cruel and unusual for 52 people to team-up and "unlike" that gallery image and then only re-like it once they were called out in this thread.

So perhaps there is something with the caching and maybe it got a new recent like which forced a re-calculation to fix the total represented in the top corner?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,435

SofaCitizen said:

frank0314 said:

Well, in this instance it would have been very cruel and unusual for 52 people to team-up and "unlike" that gallery image and then only re-like it once they were called out in this thread.

So perhaps there is something with the caching and maybe it got a new recent like which forced a re-calculation to fix the total represented in the top corner?

Very possible with caching. There have been some of that sitewide

• Another example..... Just Stole Christmas | Daz 3D shows just 1 like but several comments