Getting vertices to connect in Vertex model room

Hello!

This has always baffeled me. When I draw a shape in the vertex model room sometimes I want to switch tools.

Lets say I draw part of the shape with the interpolated curve then I want to switch to the polyline tool. After that I usually want to "Fill polygon".

Often these lines are not connected. I had thought as I draw the line when the little square shows up I was connecting the points. But Often that doean't work.

Using the weld command often moves the verticies and I don't want that. Sometimes it works often it doesn't. I don't know what I an doing wrong. 

I am always "Drawing" on a single plane. Even with snap to grid selected it often doesn't work. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI 8068 :)

You're doing it right,. they don't auto-connect, since that could also give unexpected results, it's better to let the user decide which lines should be connected, or which vertices should be welded together to form a compound line shape.

Weld is the main tool for connecting vertices,.  and there are options in the panel for weld spacing, and even the option to Align the vertices, but not weld them.

if the vertices to be welded are not (together) in the same space,. then the weld results may show an unexpected movement in the position of the welded vertices, but this would normally be a very small distance, depending on the weld options you choose.

Make sure that Both vertices are together (sharing the same space) before welding them,.  you can do that in the numeric transform panel on the right

The "Snap to grid" function . should place each vertex drawn, at the grid intersection.

Note: When you're moving vertices with "Snap" enabled, this will move the vertices one grid unit,.. even if the vertices are not at a grid intersection. which may not be what you want.

The little dot/square which appears on the mouse cursor, indicates that the cursor is over an existing vertex, and clicking at this point will create a new vertex at the same point in space,.but won''t necessarily connect them.

I'll normally draw the shape, using multiple lines, then rect-select the shape,.. and Weld, making sure that the minimum weld spacing wont badly effect any of the curves, since those vertices are normally closer together.

not much help , sorry :)

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Hi 8068, I think from the Model menu you might try 'Link'. I just tried it using the two tools you used in your example. A used the interpolated curve, dropped the tool, then used the Polyline tool to make some straight lines and connect back to the first point of my "curve". Where the two points were ontop of each other, I welded, and the other two I used the 'Link' command from the Model menu. Then filled the polygon.

weld_link.jpg
    911 x 669 - 33K
    filled.jpg
    1095 x 881 - 95K
  • Hey 3DAGE !

Guys thanks both worked perfectly!

I use this software for hundreds of hours, then I don't use it for month's. Hope I remember this after the next layoff.

Thank Again!