Actual Eyes 4 Rendering issue. (Iray issue?)

So I recently got Actual Eyes 4, and whenever I apply an eye, it only renders what appears to be a white outline of the various parts of the eye, like no mat was ever applied.  Is this an IRAY issue?  Am I missing something?

thanks,

CR

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Are you just going <click> <click> <render> ? All of the Actual Eyes sets came out long before Iray, so all of the shaders are in 3Delight format. Are you converting the eye materials using the Iray Optimised shader that comes as part of the starter content?

And just to make sure, you are applying the Actual Eyes to the Genesis 2 figures it's made for, aren't you?

•  All of the Actual Eyes sets came out long before Iray, so all of the shaders are in 3Delight format. Are you converting the eye materials using the Iray Optimised shader that comes as part of the starter content?

Yes using G2. 

As to your statement above, a little guidence on what to click here?

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,821
    edited August 2015

Actual Eyes cannot be converted for use in Iray, in my experience. The materials are in fact somehow incorporated into the shader -- the eyes don't look like regular eyes in the workspace/viewport. It's a 3Delight highly customized procedural material and shader set, so when you try to make it work in Iray, even using the Iray Uber preset to try to convert the materials, it just turns white on render.

If you're using 3Delight -- which it doesn't sound like you're doing from your question, but just to be sure -- in the workspace/viewport, some Actual Eyes presets still look more or less like a hole in a silver iris surrounded by a whiter silvery sclera, because of the way it's put together. It usually renders in 3Delight just fine, though.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • Anyway to get a refund from Daz on that one?  Yeah I am using IRAY....  There needs to be something that marks products IRAY INCOMPATIBLE. 

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,821
    jas_va_26 said:

Anyway to get a refund from Daz on that one?  Yeah I am using IRAY....  There needs to be something that marks products IRAY INCOMPATIBLE. 

If you purchased it within the past 30 days, you can generally request a refund by filing a sales help request.

Iray has only been in use in the store for something like four months. Marking almost the entire store as Iray Incompatible would be impractical (and also inaccurate). That said, if it's a dedicated shader or material of any sort, I would assume by default that it's incompatible, because most of those depend on 3Delight resources for  the way they look. There are a few exceptions, and a few that can be made to work with weird workarounds, but I don't think Actual Eyes is one of them.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

Awesome Eyes for G2F will render in Iray if you want an alternative.

• I sent a msg to sales support....I'm kinda feeling like a bunch of the stuff I got for G2 recently may be in the worthless heap but I hope not, cause I am still learning.  *feeling depressed*

• fastbike1 said:

I'd be happy with a product exchange also :)  (If the support staff reads this, didn't even realize that was newer, or what the ordering of release was.)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

The support staff doesn't typically read the forums, but if the purchase was within the past 30 days you can request a refund by submitting a support ticket.

• jas_va_26 said:
    fastbike1 said:

I'd be happy with a product exchange also :)  (If the support staff reads this, didn't even realize that was newer, or what the ordering of release was.)

Add a note to that effect to your support ticket.

• jas_va_26 said:
    fastbike1 said:

Add a note to that effect to your support ticket.

I did, and included a link to this thread.

• Does anyone have a link to the actual eyes for GF2??? I am having trouble finding it.

• Oh Awesome Eyes... not Actual eyes, not as many options, but I would take that as an acceptable trade off.

• jas_va_26 said:

I'm kinda feeling like a bunch of the stuff I got for G2 recently may be in the worthless heap but I hope not, cause I am still learning. 

The thing to watch for is the use of custom 3Delight shaders, as mentioned upthread. Many UberSurface or AoA SSS shaders will translate well enough to just need a bit of minor adjustment here and there, but if the "shader" slot at the top of the Surfaces Tab comes up with an actual name that has something to do with what the material is (e.g. "Shader: glass" or "chrome") then it's very likely to be something assembled from scratch in the Shader Mixer. Those are the ones that might or might not translate well into an Iray equivalent.

Remember, if all else fails (depending on your value of "recently") there's always the refund option.

• jas_va_26 said:

I'm kinda feeling like a bunch of the stuff I got for G2 recently may be in the worthless heap but I hope not, cause I am still learning. 

The thing to watch for is the use of custom 3Delight shaders, as mentioned upthread. Many UberSurface or AoA SSS shaders will translate well enough to just need a bit of minor adjustment here and there, but if the "shader" slot at the top of the Surfaces Tab comes up with an actual name that has something to do with what the material is (e.g. "Shader: glass" or "chrome") then it's very likely to be something assembled from scratch in the Shader Mixer. Those are the ones that might or might not translate well into an Iray equivalent.

Remember, if all else fails (depending on your value of "recently") there's always the refund option.

Spotted Kitty, Thanks!  Yes I have given a few options to the sales group that would more then satisfy me, namely being a trade for the two awesome eye sets, or a store credit.  Lord knows there are several hundred more dollars I could easily spend in there.
     :)

• Just a note, the Daz support staff was very helpful here!  The outcome left me quite pleased, and how fast they responed was a plus also.