Genesis clothes to V4/M4 using V4/M4 morphs?

So I just wanted to be certain about something prior to purchasing. If I use the V4/M4 morphs for Genesis on a Genesis figure, then V4/M4 clothes will work on that figure, correct? 

Also, can I use Hair and facial morphs, etc, that I could otherwise apply to V4/M4 so long as the Genesis figure is morphed to V4/M4?

Thanks

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

You don't need to morph the figure to that shape, you can autofit clothes or hair and use any Genesis shape (although you might get texture stretching on extreme shapes),  Transferring V4/M4 morphs to Genesis is not automatic, you need GenX or to do it manually.

• BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591

So V4/M4 hair/clothes work on Genesis figures? It's weird that they don't list the V4/M4 hair/clothing in the shop to also include the Genesis models. In a lot of cases you have V4/M4 hair and clothes in both V4 and Genesis models, though it's basically the identical hair. If V4/M4 hair and clothes work on Genesis models, why would they make identical versions of the same hair and clothes for Genesis if they already exist for V4/M4?

For instance -- Elements hair. One for V4 and one for Genesis 

http://www.daz3d.com/elements-hair

http://www.daz3d.com/elements-hair-for-genesis

Because automated conversions have their limitations.  A manual refit will always be better.

Because automated conversions have their limitations.  A manual refit will always be better.

Hm. Okay. 

And for Genesis figures in 8.5Pro, do you do everything with the character right there in Carrara? I know some folks have said they have a better time of getting the figure all situated in DAZ and then exporting the file to Carrara instead of using smart content directly in 8.5Pro.

Thanks

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited September 2015

Personally, I use Daz Studio to "fit to" the V4/M4 clothing item to Genesis, then highlight genesis and "save as" the clothing item as a wearable preset to folders that I have named "v4 to genesis" and "m4 to genesis."  I exit Daz Studio and open Carrara.  I then load the converted clothing item in Carrara for use with figures that have also been loaded natively in Carrara.  For items I expect to use often, I save the clothing item to the Carrara object browser, and load it from there in the future.

Just my preference. 

Post edited by Diomede on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

I second what Diomede said above, this is definitely the way to go.  You certainly can autofit V4/M4 stuff to Genesis1 right in Carrara, and most of the time autofit works great, but if you run into something that's stretching weird or not autofitting as well as it should, then autofit it in Daz, save it (although I save it as a prop/figure asset) and then open it in Carrara and it should autofit without any hijinks (this method btw seems to work great to autofit V4/M4 clothes for Genesis2 characters, which is not something that can be automatically autofitted right inside of Carrara).

Absolutely 100% agree that whatever it is you're using, if you're going to use it ever again the future, it's highly worthwhile to save it as a .car file in the objects folder in Carrara.  It will load much faster than the original .duf version whenever you need to load it up again, and will have very few problems/hijinks.

As to what won't autofit well from V4/M4:  Shoes/boots.  You could have a giant library of clothes for V4/M4 to outfit your Genesis1 characters with, but you'll still want a few Genesis1 outfits, if for no other reason then to have well-fitting footwere, high heels and flats and sneakers and boots and mens dress shoes, etc.  Also some long hairstyles may have problems at the shoulders.  But then again Carrara dynamic hair is so much superior anyway...

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited September 2015

Yes you can use Carrara to add a genesis figure, add clothing and har, and pose or animate and you can save that figure to the Browser in Carrara as Jon suggests. which loads faster.

that's the simple answer.

Is it easier or quicker to load genesis in Daz3D Studio,... yes,. because genesis was built for use in Studio,

Carrara has been re-worked to work with Genesis. so it's a bit slower and clunkier to load and work with, than Studio.

But you CAN use genesis in Carrara,.. without using Daz Studio.

While the Clone shapes are ok, I think it's also a good idea to have the original figures which the clothing was built for.

the original base figures aren't very expensive and have a Huge library of clothing hair etc,. plus,... all the previous Daz3D and Poser figures (before genesis) worked very well in carara, no need to pre load in another software,.  all the aniblock animations worked on V4/M4 (pre genesis rigging)

If you have a V4 figure and a Genesis (V4 clone shape) in the same scene,.. would you be able to tell the difference ?

my 2 cents.

Post edited by 3DAGE on

Hm. So I'm wanting Genesis clothes on V4/M4, not V4/M4 clothes on Genesis. Maybe I wasn't clear on that. 

Getting V4/M4 clothes onto Genesis seems pretty intuitive, but for putting Gensis clothes on V4/M4 models? 

My thought was that if I load the V4 morph into a Genesis figure, then that should mean that those clothes can also fit on a V4 model, right? So should I load Gensis in DAZ, put on the clothes, morph Genesis to V4, and then save out the clothes to bring up in Carrara? 

I dont have have a ton of interest in Genesis models, but I like a lot of the clothes. My life would be easiest if I can just make Genesis clothes to fit on my V4/M4 models, otherwise to have the same character wearing both V4 and Genesis clothes, I'd have to somehow create two identical-looking figures for various scenes, Ya know? 

I prefer to work with V4/M4 as much as possible, but I have a lot of Genesis stuff that I'd like to incorporate. Thanks

BC Rice said:

Hm. So I'm wanting Genesis clothes on V4/M4, not V4/M4 clothes on Genesis. Maybe I wasn't clear on that. 

Getting V4/M4 clothes onto Genesis seems pretty intuitive, but for putting Gensis clothes on V4/M4 models? 

My thought was that if I load the V4 morph into a Genesis figure, then that should mean that those clothes can also fit on a V4 model, right? So should I load Gensis in DAZ, put on the clothes, morph Genesis to V4, and then save out the clothes to bring up in Carrara? 

I dont have have a ton of interest in Genesis models, but I like a lot of the clothes. My life would be easiest if I can just make Genesis clothes to fit on my V4/M4 models, otherwise to have the same character wearing both V4 and Genesis clothes, I'd have to somehow create two identical-looking figures for various scenes, Ya know? 

I prefer to work with V4/M4 as much as possible, but I have a lot of Genesis stuff that I'd like to incorporate. Thanks

Ah, misunderstood.  You could get the right approximate shape that way (make sure the poses match, as the zero poses are different), but you would need to rig them for V4/M4.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Hi BC rice ;)

I also misunderstod your question, since the normal route is to have the shape of V4, on a genesis figure, rather than getting genesis clothing to fit V4.

The problem is that the Clothing, is just like a figure,. it's got bones , and those bones are what's used to "Fit" the clothing, and to follow the main figure's pose, or animation.

The Genesis figures have more bones than generation 4 figures (V4,M4 etx) so,.. going backwards, you'd need to replace the genesis rigging in the clothing with V4/M4 rigging which would (i think) break all the clothing morphs. ...also time consuming

I don't think there's another, easier way to go.