Help with custom character creation and sliders

kurchatovio.kukurchatovio.ku Posts: 3
edited February 2023 in Art Studio

Hello everyone, I have experience with other modelling software but quite new to DAZ.

My purpose with DAZ is to be able to create custom characters to then take the models to blender and get them 3D print ready. I paint and play with miniatures with my friends and I wanted to create custom figures for them resembling their facial and body features, therefore I was looking at DAZ to make part of the job easier.

I have come across some products at the store that include multiple sliders for editing the face and the body such as this one:

https://www.daz3d.com/shape-shift-for-genesis-3-bundle

I need some advice on the following:

1. What products will be a good choice for my purpose? I would like to find something with great control over the body shape but specially, something to be able to create faces very similar to real people.  This is my main goal so i don't have to spend that much time on blender modelling faces to match reality.

2. What Genesis version should I focus on? I am having a difficult time recognizing the differences between the different genesis versions. I guess the higher the version the better the textures, lighting etc. are but, for my purpose of 3D printing it, I might not need all of that (although a couple of basic skin textures would be ok to have to have an idea of how the final painted model would look like). For my purpose of 3D printing I guess something with great detail and control of the actual mesh or morphology of the character would be preferred.

3. What hair, clothing and accessories products are good for 3D printing? I don't mind creating hair, clothing and accessories myself, I can do that on blender, but if there are products on DAZ that are easy to convert to 3D printable, I might also get some bundles. 

Any advice is always welcome. If you also feel some tutorials are needed for me to understand better, please don't hesitate telling me.

Thank you in advance.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Moved to Art studio as it is a question about content rather than the Daz Studio application.

If the prints are not for wholly personal use don't forget to check that the products you are looking at have 3D printing licenses available.

• RafaelRafael Posts: 125
    edited March 2023

Take a look at face transfer. It is already installed on your DAZ studio with an option to save some free models. It is not perfect but helps. The problem with it is that flattens the face, so you need to tweek the lateral view.

To use it properly you need a good quality photo, with even illumination, and preferably no hair on the face.

Some other options is to use a pack of morphs for the face or body. I do not have any particular in mind.

Regarding the version, I would probably focus on the 8 and 8.1 versions. They are great, there are a lot of models, and assets, and you can have from time to time good prices on them in the store.

Post edited by Rafael on